Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV Consumer Reviews - 235 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

A New Driving Experience
By Garyeth

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 10 months of driving the RX 400h I am sold on this car. I previously owned a non-hybrid Lexus RX 300 and the hybrid is so much more powerful and fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg which is more than adequate for the size and weight of this car. The challenge is to see how far you can coast on battery power in order to increase your mileage. This takes a light foot on acceleration as well as easy breaking. As with my 6 previous Lexus automobiles, this car has required no servicing to date and should prove to be very reliable. The acceleration is more like a V8 due to the combination of electric motors and gas engine. We've been to the mountains and had no problems on the hills.

The standard sound system on this car is superb. I also enjoy the power tailgate which is very convenient when loading groceries. The pickup is excellent and I can't complain about saving gas with the 25+ mpg. I like the headlamps that turn with the steering wheel for better cornering visibility.

Not a big deal but it would be nice to include the electric lumbar adjustment on the passenger side along with the driver's side. This helps on those long trips.

Lexus Quality at its best
By foxy_ maverick

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving a Range Rover for five years decided for a change. Wow the Lexus was great compared to it. I had a lot of electronic problems with the Range Rover which was a reliability issue. From what I have heard Lexus is a very reliable make. Fingers crossed!

Hybrid drive and fuel economy.

Adjustable armrest.

Almost 18 months old
By thomas

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had vehicle for over a year. No problems with it. Very satisfied.

Great sat nav. Sits up so I can see. Very fun to drive.

Cruise control little hard to use.

After 7,200 miles, the good and the bad
By ghager

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Mileage is disappointing; I get 22-24. Nice looking wheels, but watch out at the curb - too easy to ding. Visibility a problem front and rear. Bluetooth sub-par; friends complain they can barely hear me. GPS interface very user unfriendly at first. A matter of taste, but the exterior is odd looking. Voice command is flukey; I crack up my niece by telling it to do something and getting a bizarre response. I don't feel confident throwing it around corners. All this said, I like it - good, quiet, solid ride. Acceleration quite strong when needed. Don't think I'll get another, though.

Quiet. Smooth and powerful acceleration. Luxurious interior. Reliable (so far). Solid feel on the road. Electric liftgate spoils me; ditto the rearview cam. Design, ergonomics and quality typically Toyota - much better than my Mercedes ML 320.

Better mileage. Better front seat legroom (I'm 6'3"; long trips are painful). Better right rear visibility for passing and merging (watch out! And scan carefully up front, as big roof posts can block traffic crossing from left and right). Bigger tires and less fancy wheels. A place to put trash.

Excellent car! Perfect choice for me.
By waynem

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a certified used '06 hybrid (the first my local dealership had), and I have to say I absolutely love this car! I had been keeping an eye out for a used one. I am really happy with everything so far, especially the mileage. Since mine has been already "broken in", I am averaging 28-29 mpg, granted I do a lot of street driving, so that helps. Everything I loved about my previous RX is here and many things have been improved, so I don't have any real complaints. The only thing that could be improved further is the nav system, in my opinion. I'd highly recommend this car.

LOVE the mileage!! Great interior and exterior features. Very comfortable, even in the back seats. Love the handling and overall size. Stereo system is awesome and the climate controls are great. Much improved turning radius compared to my old RX.

The navigation system is good but my son's Honda nav system has features I like much more, so if I had to suggest an improvement, I would say the nav system could be improved. Otherwise, I'm really happy overall.