Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

After 7,200 miles, the good and the bad
By ghager

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Mileage is disappointing; I get 22-24. Nice looking wheels, but watch out at the curb - too easy to ding. Visibility a problem front and rear. Bluetooth sub-par; friends complain they can barely hear me. GPS interface very user unfriendly at first. A matter of taste, but the exterior is odd looking. Voice command is flukey; I crack up my niece by telling it to do something and getting a bizarre response. I don't feel confident throwing it around corners. All this said, I like it - good, quiet, solid ride. Acceleration quite strong when needed. Don't think I'll get another, though.

Favorite Features

Quiet. Smooth and powerful acceleration. Luxurious interior. Reliable (so far). Solid feel on the road. Electric liftgate spoils me; ditto the rearview cam. Design, ergonomics and quality typically Toyota - much better than my Mercedes ML 320.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage. Better front seat legroom (I'm 6'3"; long trips are painful). Better right rear visibility for passing and merging (watch out! And scan carefully up front, as big roof posts can block traffic crossing from left and right). Bigger tires and less fancy wheels. A place to put trash.

Excellent car! Perfect choice for me.
By waynem

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a certified used '06 hybrid (the first my local dealership had), and I have to say I absolutely love this car! I had been keeping an eye out for a used one. I am really happy with everything so far, especially the mileage. Since mine has been already "broken in", I am averaging 28-29 mpg, granted I do a lot of street driving, so that helps. Everything I loved about my previous RX is here and many things have been improved, so I don't have any real complaints. The only thing that could be improved further is the nav system, in my opinion. I'd highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

LOVE the mileage!! Great interior and exterior features. Very comfortable, even in the back seats. Love the handling and overall size. Stereo system is awesome and the climate controls are great. Much improved turning radius compared to my old RX.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system is good but my son's Honda nav system has features I like much more, so if I had to suggest an improvement, I would say the nav system could be improved. Otherwise, I'm really happy overall.

Nice Car, But Where is the Fuel Economy?
By Andy

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Concerned about America's dependence on foreign oil, I searched long and hard for a hybrid. I cannot fit in a Prius (really, I can't), and the best vehicle I found was the Lexus RX 400h. All around, it is the best vehicle I found. It is comfortable, with all the features I need (and the ones I don't need, I like). It is a delight to drive. However, the fuel economy leaves something to be desired. A big reason is because I drive a lot of short segments, and I reach my goal about the time the vehicle warms up. Still, I wish Lexus had redirected a few of the horsepower into fuel economy, or at least given us the choice.

Favorite Features

Oh, so many -- the power rear door, the way everything is where I want them to be, all the information.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the fuel economy. That's the point of a hybrid. At least give us some options. I know those Lexus engineers are geniuses.

Outstanding
By Lexus RX 400h

Vehicle is a delight.

Favorite Features

Accelerates like a Corvette. I do it so enthusiastically I blow my gpm stats.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a little work on front passenger stowage capacity.

Love it!
By Mrs. Rogers

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My husband and I wanted an SUV and the Lexus RX 400h was an obvious choice. It doesn't take premium fuel like comprable models which adds to the gas affordability of driving a hybrid. I previously drove a BMW 330xi and thought that the transition to an SUV would be remarkable, however the Lexus is built on a Camry frame, so I don't feel as though I am towering over other vehicles. The only obstacle we have experienced was that the cross bars are not stable enough for a bike rack, so those must be purchased and installed. Also, a towing hitch can only be optained as a post-factory dealer installation for around $7000. Consider your recreational requirements before purchase.

Favorite Features

Navigation system, touch controlled, and rear view camera which is surprisingly accurate.

Suggested Improvements

More stable/durable roof rack, add option for heated steering wheel.