Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Problem not addressed
By drives1

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have one of the very first RX40hs off the line. I waited a year an a half on a waiting list to ensure I got the first one to arrive. Unfortunately, I think I have a lemon. The car pulls to one side and after a year and a half and 25,000 miles it cannot be fixed. Tires were bald at 15,000 miles, and the dealer replaced all four gratis (which was nice of them). The dealer has been good. But Lexus corporate has pretty much ignored me and does not call when they say they will, if at all. I am extremely disappointed. Lexus customer care does not care, it seems. All they do is send surveys, but it seems they never read them.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, comfort, room, reliable other than poor tracking problem.

Disappointed that we aren't even getting 20mpg
By Love Lexus

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm not sure yet on how this Lexus will do with reliability but I do love Lexus. I never write these things but I am very disappointed that we aren't even getting 20mpg. The dealership told me this vehicle was never designed to get good mpg, just cleaner emissions and slightly more horsepower over the 330. I would still buy an rx or gx but not the hybrid. I paid extra thinking I would save on gas and am very disappointed.

Favorite Features

Simple - I love the car.

Suggested Improvements

I just want honest mpg. Last reading average was 19.6 mpg not very impressive for a hybrid.

Not perfect yet
By april

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car but I have four things that if changed would make it perfect! First, when entering I have to duck (I am 5'6") my head a little and it bothers my neck sometimes. Second, the second row seats don't fold flat and I have bulldogs that like to be level. Third, the back window is so slanted that the sun beats down and melts my groceries and overheats my dogs. And finally, I HATE the console with the push button open close system. My dogs step on it and fall in the console all the time. I would much prefer a large console with a padded hinged lift top. That would eliminate the fold down arm rests which I find a nuisance.

Favorite Features

The seats are the most comfortable I have ever had. I have the stainless interior which I find to be sporty and classy. I love the power lift gate and the great pick-up and smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, more head room upon entry, different console, fold flat second row seats and less slant to the rear window.

Long term REview 2006 Lexus RX400h
By kimcanada

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Long term results report. I had my invertor replaced september 3, 2010. So far it has been bullet proof. Toyota fixed this $10,000 repair for free. Basically it is a faulty invertor , recall # 87559 June 29, 2011. This was at 64,000 miles and I am now at 96,000 miles with everything working well. I had to do the timing belt, tensioners, water pump , as part of the recommended 90,000 mile maintenance. I also had to do a radiator and front control arm bushings so this was a major bill. I did switch tires to Yokohama Parada's so the car rides very well but thye are not the longest lasting tires. Gotta figure if there is a cheaper way than a lexus dealer. But in thinking of doing all this work I decided this is a overall very reliable car and worth doing as the car rides well, looks good, and is nice to drive. I figure the Prius 's I have seen used as cabs are going over 300,000 miles so there is some precedent for long term ownership. Yes I would buy one again ( and I guess by fixing it I am planning another 90,000 miles , I hope ! )

Favorite Features

Nicely finished, ride well, looks good, pretty reliable

Suggested Improvements

Lexus service is expensive at times . The timing belt - water pump fix is costly. If the invertor has not been done , get the dealer to do this as it is a recall safety hazard. It's a Hybrid so we all hope Toyota stands behind this technology !

Getting old and still working well
By erik36

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am not much of a car buff, but after looking at the reviews thought I would check in about my car at 130,000 miles. No problems. Gets 27+ mpg on my 45 mi/hr commute which is flat and allows for coasting. As I read the reviews, I see that the biggest complaint is repair costs. I expect that that is the way it is with all Lexuses. However, I have not had any, except recalls which were free (in cost and hassle factor). Love this car.

Favorite Features

great ride

Suggested Improvements

navigation system is outdated. Upgrade is prohibitively expensive.