2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
Wishing For Hybrid Mileage Advertised
By Lois on 07/26/06 20:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, I am still very impressed with this vehicle. I just wish that I could get their advertised 30-33 hybrid miles per gallon. Currently I am averaging 22.5. I have asked about this at the dealership & told that if the terrain is steep/elevated like going up mountains that this is what is affecting the mileage. Well that's what we have in CA & NV.

Excellent car to own
By John on 07/23/06 12:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very smooth car. Powerful yet fuel efficient. Details play to all your senses. Great car to own.

A Great Car
By Jerry on 07/20/06 19:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have just over 5000 miles on this vehicle, and I love it. Quietest car I've ever driven. You coast up to a red light and sit there in blissful silence. EPA estimates 27 highway, 31 city. My experience is that I get at least as good or better mileage on the highway, at least at speeds not over 65. I've averaged about 28 city, and 28 or 29 highway. Not bad for an SUV. I find that I try to drive smoother and easier, to see how much I can get out of the battery before the V6 kicks in.

Would love it more if it got 30 mpg
By Marc on 07/16/06 15:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had my 400h over a year now and I have found it to be truly a comfortable, fun to drive luxury vehicle! We were sorely disappointed when it only got 24.5 mpg both in town and on the highway. I didn't expect the advertized 31 mpg, but I did expect to get 28. But, even 24.5 is 50% better than the non-hybrid. It does have different engine and transmission sounds; a gear sound and the engine goes faster or slower at unexpected times. But this is my problem, not the car's, after all, it is different technology. My father tells me that he didn't like fluid transmissions when they came out either.

The Finest Luxury Hybrid w/ AWD
By Dave on 07/09/06 12:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A wonderful ride, marvelous features that are too numerous to mention. The navigation system is a luxury that I can't see how we lived without. Seating is comfortable as one would expect. The synergy drive is fantastic. Gas mileage could be better but for the weight of the vehicle and the power it is quite acceptable, far superior to non-hybrids of this size. No need for a third seat, this isn't a suburban, larger isn't always better. More power than you need to merge and pass. Auto wipers are quite a nice treat and the headlights are probably the best I have seen.

Fuel Disappointment
By E J on 07/01/06 22:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

While we truly love this vehicle, we are more than upset with the mileage we get. It should be getting 31 mpg in the city; if we can get 22-23, we are doing good. Salesman said when car was broken in, we could expect even more. We now have more than 11,000 miles on it, and it has only gotten worse. It has been checked and rechecked to see if a problem exists... none does. We purchased this vehicle in good faith and feel Lexus has let us down. Calls to corporate Lexus have left us with no further satisfaction. Had we been aware of this situation, I don't believe we would have spent the extra money for it.

Lexus 400h experience
By Bob Carpenter on 06/19/06 06:48 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very quiet vehicle. Supprising mid range acceleration. Handles very well for SUV. We have been averaging just a little over 26mpg on regular unleaded. 90% of our driving is in town. Super tight turning radius, parks like a small car. As we live in the Chicago area we have found this vehicle performs very well in ice and snow conditions.

Consider RX 350 before purchase
By Mark Stern on 06/15/06 12:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got a RX 400h for the performance - at the time the 330 had 45 less HP, now with the 350 it has 2 Hp more. Don't think you're saving the planet with this car, it gets slightly better gas milage. BUT there are trade offs. For one the engine noise is so un-Lexus like, two, the transmission and brakes are different from normal cars. I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST- drive both 400h and 350 back to back, then if you're not convinced the 400 is still 5 Grand more. For 2007 350 has new NAV system and XM radio, bluetooth phone also avlb with out nav. I made a mistake and am thinking of trading in.

Excellent combo of power and efficiency
By tdt on 06/07/06 16:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife loves our fully equipped RXh, which blends excellent performance with good economy. We are getting 26- 28mpg mixed driving around DFW compared with 20-22mpg with our old RX 330. Highway passing power is surprisingly strong. The Mark Levinson sound system is umsurpassed in this quiet and smooth vehicle. Very comfortable for our family of four.

MPG Not What it should be
By crw on 06/06/06 08:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. It is a great size, comfort and fit. It drives tight and I feel safe in all driving conditions BUT the gas milage is not where it should be. On medium length drives (15-25 miles) in slowish city traffic I get the best mpg but that tops out at 28 mpg when I use a middle grade gas, it's around 24 when I use a low octane gas. It has a big engine and can move quickly when it needs to but it does not get the 30-35 mpg it promised. All in all I'll keep it untill the gas mileage, comfort and quality of another car can beat it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.