2006 Lexus RX 400h - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
By J. Jones on 10/11/06 21:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 400h is a great accelerator. Unfortunately, we feel deceived on the MPG. Getting approx. 21. Not the 28-35 promised. Also, driving during heavy rain...hydroplaning about 90% of the time! Unexpected and scary. The tires are a bummer. Had 3 very expensive flats in 3 weeks. Live in the country, need a whole lot more from my tires. Overall, this vehicle has awesome potential. With a few tweeks,(some, major), they'd have something unbeatable.

This is my one true love
By nate on 10/07/06 20:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Wow that is all I have to say about this suv. This is my second suv from Lexus. My first was a 2004 Lexus RX 330 I loved it from the minute I sat down. I just upgraded to the 400h in july and I have already noticed a change in how much I spend on gas. Also I have noticed how much more power it has. The 330 only had 229 hp but the 400h has 268 hp and wow it's not much but it seems to have more get up and go. Im only 23 but this 400h was so worth the money. I don't think I could down grade to anything else. Its a great car if you have the money to spend.

RX 400h
By David on 10/01/06 07:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I initially got 24 mpg. Now I get 26 mpg (all driving). Excellent for an SUV. Overall, excellent car... excellent power, performance, etc. Great job Lexus.

Nice hybrid SUV, not so nice GPS
By SJFK from Seattle on 09/30/06 15:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Decided to trade in our 2001 RX 300 Silversport for the RX 400h when price of gasoline skyrocketed. The first 5000 miles has been a fairly pleasant and uneventful experience getting a decent 26 MPG on mixed highway and city driving (compared to 19-20 MPG on the RX 300). I find myself constantly playing the game of trying to maximize the efficiency and in the process developed a lighter right foot to allow the car to "glide" more (CVT is gearless so no downshifts like the conventional transmission when you let go of the accelerator). The car slows down mainly from the force of friction between the road and tires. Hate to admit it, but the car has trained me to become a better driver.

Great Hybrid
By Dave in Prescott on 09/21/06 12:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a performance hybrid so we did not expect to get the stellar MPG people seem to expect from any hybrid (we own an 04 Prius too). Current MPG is 26 but it is still 30% better than the 2004 RX 330 we traded for it. This car is much quicker and quieter so the better MPG is a real plus. The power delivery is incredible and no more shift points!

Completely Different Than An RX 330
By pigsfly on 09/19/06 17:13 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 400h in June of 2006. Previously owned a 2000 RX 300 and 2004 RX 330. I've driven the car about 3000 miles and find it to be a completely different car than the previous Lexus models I've owned. So far, getting about 30 mpg with a mix of city/highway driving (my RX 330 got about 21-23 mpg). I live in the mountains and drive up steep grades and around sharp curves and love the handling and performance. Achieving peak mileage in a hybrid requires some adjustments in driving technique, but this doesn't mean slow driving! Fit/finish are better than on the RX 330. I like the navigation system, but it took a bit of time for me to figure out how to work the A/C and airflow.

Great SUV, lousy NAV system, bluetooth
By Steve on 09/11/06 19:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love our RX 400h. We have put just over 5000 miles on it in 4 months and find it to be a joy to drive - as long as you know where you are going. It accelerates strongly and returns excellent gas mileage for a car of its size (we are averaging better than 24 mpg on a mix of city/hwy driving). The CVT takes a little getting used to but functions well. The handling could be more precise but is better than our Acura MDX. Unfortunately, the NAV system is completely counter intuitive and is almost guaranteed to get you lost or direct you to the longest route. Also, the bluetooth is not compatible with many phones including our verizon RAZR (common phone - unacceptable!).

By mer on 09/05/06 11:01 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Picked up my RX 400h about 3 weeks ago and I am very pleased. Overall gas mileage is 27 mpg for the first 844 miles. My usage is about 50% highway and 50% in town driving. Lowest mileage was 25.8 and highest was 29.7. The car is extremely quiet and comfortable. Build quality is excellent and the interior design very good. It has exceeded my expectations.

Lexus 400h
By BobTaylor on 09/05/06 08:16 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A pleasure to drive. A luxury SUV in every sense, but with the fuel economy of the most miserly of small cars. The interior appointments and audio system are superb.

Lexus Hybrid
By tom on 09/04/06 19:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just got the car this month. The mileage is a little less than advertised, but it's a fun car to drive with pop when you need it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.