2006 Lexus RX 400h - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
RX 400h Review
By tep on 02/12/07 17:35 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The vehicle has been 100% reliable. The longest I have driven at one time is 900 miles and it was not tiring. Fuel economy is good, around 30 mpg local driving, 32 mpg at 60 mph on highway, 26 mpg at 70 mph on highway. It is reasonably quiet on the highway with the Michelin tires. Looks like first set of tires will last 45,000 miles.

A New Driving Experience
By Garyeth on 12/28/06 18:45 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 10 months of driving the RX 400h I am sold on this car. I previously owned a non-hybrid Lexus RX 300 and the hybrid is so much more powerful and fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg which is more than adequate for the size and weight of this car. The challenge is to see how far you can coast on battery power in order to increase your mileage. This takes a light foot on acceleration as well as easy breaking. As with my 6 previous Lexus automobiles, this car has required no servicing to date and should prove to be very reliable. The acceleration is more like a V8 due to the combination of electric motors and gas engine. We've been to the mountains and had no problems on the hills.

Lexus Quality at its best
By foxy_ maverick on 12/26/06 02:40 AM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving a Range Rover for five years decided for a change. Wow the Lexus was great compared to it. I had a lot of electronic problems with the Range Rover which was a reliability issue. From what I have heard Lexus is a very reliable make. Fingers crossed!

Almost 18 months old
By thomas on 12/25/06 16:26 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had vehicle for over a year. No problems with it. Very satisfied.

After 7,200 miles, the good and the bad
By ghager on 12/01/06 20:51 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Mileage is disappointing; I get 22-24. Nice looking wheels, but watch out at the curb - too easy to ding. Visibility a problem front and rear. Bluetooth sub-par; friends complain they can barely hear me. GPS interface very user unfriendly at first. A matter of taste, but the exterior is odd looking. Voice command is flukey; I crack up my niece by telling it to do something and getting a bizarre response. I don't feel confident throwing it around corners. All this said, I like it - good, quiet, solid ride. Acceleration quite strong when needed. Don't think I'll get another, though.

Excellent car! Perfect choice for me.
By waynem on 11/12/06 12:27 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a certified used '06 hybrid (the first my local dealership had), and I have to say I absolutely love this car! I had been keeping an eye out for a used one. I am really happy with everything so far, especially the mileage. Since mine has been already "broken in", I am averaging 28-29 mpg, granted I do a lot of street driving, so that helps. Everything I loved about my previous RX is here and many things have been improved, so I don't have any real complaints. The only thing that could be improved further is the nav system, in my opinion. I'd highly recommend this car.

Nice Car, But Where is the Fuel Economy?
By Andy on 10/23/06 14:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Concerned about America's dependence on foreign oil, I searched long and hard for a hybrid. I cannot fit in a Prius (really, I can't), and the best vehicle I found was the Lexus RX 400h. All around, it is the best vehicle I found. It is comfortable, with all the features I need (and the ones I don't need, I like). It is a delight to drive. However, the fuel economy leaves something to be desired. A big reason is because I drive a lot of short segments, and I reach my goal about the time the vehicle warms up. Still, I wish Lexus had redirected a few of the horsepower into fuel economy, or at least given us the choice.

Outstanding
By Lexus RX 400h on 10/20/06 15:01 PM (PDT)

Vehicle is a delight.

Love it!
By Mrs. Rogers on 10/17/06 11:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My husband and I wanted an SUV and the Lexus RX 400h was an obvious choice. It doesn't take premium fuel like comprable models which adds to the gas affordability of driving a hybrid. I previously drove a BMW 330xi and thought that the transition to an SUV would be remarkable, however the Lexus is built on a Camry frame, so I don't feel as though I am towering over other vehicles. The only obstacle we have experienced was that the cross bars are not stable enough for a bike rack, so those must be purchased and installed. Also, a towing hitch can only be optained as a post-factory dealer installation for around $7000. Consider your recreational requirements before purchase.

A classier hybrid for distinctive taste
By Luvmy400h on 10/12/06 20:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Lexus RX 400h is a dream to drive. The power is unbelievable. It is very comfortable. Easy ingress and egress. I drive it off road for 2 miles to reach my home. It is a very smooth drive on the dirt road. Flies up the canyons of Utah. Corners exceptionally well. I'm averaging about 26 mpg, which is a substantial increase from my gas guzzling SUV. I'm a heavy foot. A light foot will have even better mileage. I'm sold on the hybrid technology as well as the Lexus brand.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.