Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

This is My ultimate SUV
By jayt

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've only had this car for about 3 weeks. After owning several domestic SUV's and cars this lexus is my ultimate SUV. It's really comfortable to drive on long trips. It handles well. Very quiet cabin. Excellent interior quality. Great mileage for a vehicle this size 28 highway and 35 city. The engine is a bit whiney when accelerating hard (I'm used to a v8).

Favorite Features

I love the navigation system and rear dvd player. Also the energy consumption monitor.

Suggested Improvements

Add a place for change to use on tolls. Change cup near the shifter or on dash board. Better placement of the 12V power outlets

4,600 miles and I really, really like it
By 2RC2

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent automobile! I had the RX300 (2001), RX330 (2004), and now the new 400h. The 400h drives, rides, and handles like the RX330. But, has much better performance, and a little better gas mileage. I averaged 25.3 on 3,000 mile trip. the RX330 was getting around 21~22 for an average. It's an expensive automobile, but I really like it. Savings in fuel will not justify additional cost of the 400h. I have not experienced any problems with any of my Lexus'. I tried 87, 89, and 91 octane, could not tell any difference in mileage or performance. I do recommend you buy the 400h. Buy it for what it is. A "state of art", electronic/mechanical marvel.

Favorite Features

Continually varible transmission is amazing, especially in hilly country (the RX330 shifted lot and lots). Low emissions, looks, drive and excellent ride. The electronics are remarkable. Consumption screens are too good. It is hard not to watch them when you are driving.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo system does not measure up to competitors. I miss the wonderful wood trim (like on the RX330).

Great Car
By BMT

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car. I previously owned an 04 RX330 and although it was a very good car, 400h is even better. Great performance combined with excellent fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride especially for an SUV and great fuel economy. Average 27/28 mpg in town. Used to get 17 to 18 mpg in town with RX330

Suggested Improvements

Fix the bluetooth phone problem as it relates to verizon phone cusotmers or at least forewarn customers up front of the problems they are going to have and add XM/Sirius radio as a factory option.

Where is the gas savings?
By Jon G

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love the car, and I'm glad I have it, but I don't have a clue about fuel economy. I traded in my Ford Explorer for the Lexus when MY gas prices hit $4/gal. I've never gotten any better then 22mpg.

Favorite Features

The car is so comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Make a real improvement in the gas mileage.

Changing from an RX 330
By Kane Bieri

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

the difference is remarkable. better performance, excellent response, and the rest is the same.

Favorite Features

Lights that turn when the car turns, and pick-up.

Suggested Improvements

Put sensors on the bumper. Living in New Mexico, the sun has a negative effect when backing up on several occasions, and the video is no help.