2006 Lexus RX 400h - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
What a car!
By Joanna on 06/11/05 08:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've never cared much for cars, but this one has changed my mind. It has such a solid, safe feel to it. It looks like a van that took steroids and not the typical monster SUV. It certainly drives better than any van or car I've ever driven and it is actually fun to drive it!The ride is as smooth as glass. This car doesn't know it is going up steep hills either. It eats them. The gas engine cuts out at lights and in traffic, and while this took a bit of getting used to-the silence makes it seem as though it has stalled- I feel better about the car not spewing unecessary gas into the atmosphere.

My new Lexus 400h
By C SWEET on 06/11/05 08:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My brand new Lexus 400h is an exciting car to own and drive. Having the GPS system is like having a friend along for the ride. She never gets frustrated with my choice of turns, just picks up from my new location. The pick-up at acceleration makes it exciting to drive. Watching the trickle use of energy has made me a better driver, as far as how I use the accelerator. I can actually affect the mileage in my favor. This car handles like a dream, a big improvement from my RX 300,2000.

RX 400h the super car
By Richter on 06/03/05 13:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our 6th Lexus and the RX 400h is better than anyof the previous ones we have owned.; Wow, is the word on it. The designers have though of everything and it is the best driving machine we have ever encountered.

Gas Mileage a Fraud
By Kelly Turton on 05/31/05 12:58 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Touted as 31MPG City, 28MPG Hwy. We have around 1800 miles on ours and the very best it gets is 21MPG overall. Dealer said that it did not need a break in period. Now they say it could take 6000 miles to break in. Both dealer and factory said the RX400h is more about performance and less about MPG. Baloney! There are a lot of cars out there that get 21 MPG. The only reason we paid the $10,000 higher sticker price over the regular RX model was for the better mileage. Both dealer and factory have tried to blame our driving habits. We live in So. Cal. where the weather is good and the roads are level.

RX400h....gotta own one
By Headless on 05/31/05 00:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The RX400h represents a new era in automobile technology. The vehicle offers excellent performance with excellent fuel efficiency. If you have a lead foot, the efficiency will suffer, but you'll still easily beat virtually all other SUVs on the market in regards to mpg. In terms of performance, 0-60 in under 7 seconds is sweet (it's faster than Lexus numbers) and acceleration from 45-65 is more than impressive. The vehicle is adept at handling and cornering, with braking beyond belief. Navi, bluetooth, adaptive headlights, auto tailgate, etc ... the list goes on ... this car is packed with features ... compare it to anything on the market and you'll get one...

Another Great Lexus
By mitch-B on 05/27/05 17:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our 7th Lexus. I just got the car a week ago and I'm getting about 25 mpg. Someone said that they've seen returns of 26 mpg w/hard driving but I'm not seeing that. It's louder (the acoustic glass helps only so much) but it's a hoot to drive. CONS: Inability to navigate or dial the phone while on the move. Really, my passenger could perform these distracting tasks. Lexus should trust their consumers more. (ACURA does!) Also, the higher insurance costs will offset any gas mileage or resale benefit even for someone with an impecable insurance risk profile. FINALLY: This isn't a car for the altruistic it's for those who want their cake and eat it and their neighbor's too ;)

A perfect all around vehicle.
By PJK on 05/27/05 09:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Took delivery on 05/25/05 noticed a thump (noise) in the floor by the driver's foot rest when you start up the vehicle (even in battery operation). I believe it is the engine starting when I go into reverse out of my driveway, more noticeable in the morning, cold engine. Live in Florida, I think it has to do with the A/C turning on the engine. I can also hear the engine engaging slightly at take off at stop lights. I have read other reviews & they said they could not notice this, when on the highway you don't notice it at all. Stopped by the dealer yesterday they said the noise is normal. This was from the hybrid trained technican.

Absolutely love it!
By karen kline on 05/25/05 22:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased our hybrid on 5/2/05 (ordered it last May). We absolutely love it. The interior is very modern - at first wasn't sure if I would like it - but I love it now. We also have 2 tv's for the kids - one on each headrest. We have navigation in our other Lexus so we had to have it again (it was actually a standard). There is a button on the steering wheel for voice operation - it does everything you ask it to - its a lot of fun. I mainly do all highway driving and average 25 mpg (great for a SUV)

Economy or performance?
By richard on 05/20/05 19:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my Rx 400h for a little less than a month now. It is quiet, smooth, and full of neat little extras like the nav system. It is definately a much faster car than either my old RX 300 or a new RX 330. Comparison to a V8 is accurate. Right now, my biggest issue is whether or not it will deliver on its promised fuel economy. While highway mileage is about what you might expect (26-27 mpg), in city has been disappointing so far (22-23). Lexus has checked the car out and says that it is working properly. They also ask us to give it through the break-in period before we assess the fuel economy. I would be interested in the experience of any other 400h owners regarding fuel economy.

Not bad...
By Geo-Green on 05/20/05 15:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own a 2005 Prius too. Obviously, the Lexus is much more luxurious, $$$, with impressive acceleration and space. I am pleased with the quality of this hybrid and am averaging about 27 mpg in day to day driving that is a mix of highway and town. I have to admit, however, that I actually prefer driving the Prius. Why? There is just something remarkable about its "hybrid" combination of fuel efficiency (48mpg), fun, its real time message: CONSERVE. With two teenagers the Lexus provides the room that the Prius cannot and it's terrific that a SUV type car can get decent mileage, but, truthfully, its just not the same as my little funny-looking, fun-to- drive Prius.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.