Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

Is this really an SUV??
By King Kelly

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Until I was given an RX 330 as a loaner for the day when my car was in for service, I was adamant about never purchasing another SUV. In my previous experience with an SUV, I felt like a 'weeble' whenever I drove it and was happy to get rid of it. What I can't get over is how comfortable my new R400h is to drive. It has a smoother ride than my SC430 had! I live in the Northeast and it plows through snow with effortless confidence, and when it's raining it feels as if I'm driving on dry pavement. The gas mileage, well, that speaks for itself.

The transmission is seamless, which keeps my coffee in it's cup! I love the rain-sensing winshield wipers and the navigation system. The power rear hatch is extremely handy as well!

I miss the wood accents of my previous Lexus models. I don't hate the brushed aluminum I have now, but I did love the burlwood when I had it.

NICE RIDE
By GINA

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love to drive my new lexus. I visit my local gas station about every three weeks. getting lost on the streets of long island is no longer possible. I love the bluetooth tech. My lexus drives like a dream, this is my first lexus.I like to get a new car every two years and will never buy any other make then lexus again..

My lexus handles very well in all weather. driving in the snow no longer frightens me. It does what I want it to do. I love the heated seats and blue tooth works great too.

the phone system does not work wel with my nextel. I can't get it to download my phone book.

A Tour de Force
By xdoc

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Supremely comfortable, jet fast and smooth even for a car, zero defects, easy entry and egress. Customizes to my every whim. Never in 36 years has a vehicle delivered all this for me. More? Great climate control and seats, even in back. Electric lumbar support that's truly wonderful. Auto wipers and auto dimming mirrors are unexpected delight. Etc. If you want an SUV that accelerates & rides like a fine auto, easy in & out, plus 4 wheel stability and capacity, higher driving position, this is the one. Love the hybrid quiet in town and the acceleration. RE: FUEL economy. Driven fairly aggressively with a lot of freeway driving, getting 22 mpg HWY/26 CITY.

1. Acceleration 2. Auto wipers, mirrors 3. NAV system 4.Interior comfort! Metal trim seemed cold initially, now it's esy on the eyes 5. great handling 6. hybrid system. It's 2 times Prius size! At least 50% better MPG than comparable performance SUVs (porsche, Touareg, MDX, Escalade, FX)

1. Sunroof rattle at times 2. Adjustable height for front arm rests 3. MP3 capability and plug for stereo 4. Std stereo sounds just OK. No Pause control, must turn off to pause CD or tape! Lexus says its same on all vehicles. 5. Auto key fob entry would be nice

Great car, just beware mileage & legroom
By David S

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a beautifully made car, well designed, & drives very smoothly due the the CVT (continuously variable transmission). The quality is excellent inside & out. Only 2 critiques: 1) Getting lower gas mileage than expected, abt 20 mpg in city driving. Our commute may be too short (10 mi 1 way) to get enough regenerative braking to fully charge the hybrid batteries, so we depend mostly on the gas engine, not the electric. In fairness, it only has 1600 miles on it, & others have said mileage improves after about 2000. 2) Rear seats need more legroom for tall folks. We are short, but if taller folks are in front seat, they will eat up rear legroom. That said, we still love this car!

Low emissions, outstanding quality, smooth ride & shifting, beautiful styling, hybrid engine data feedback is comprehensive and FUN. Definite "wow" factor with features.

Sacrifice some horsepower for better mileage. Lengthen the car 4-5 inches to maintain cargo area but add legroom for rear seats.

Lexus 400h
By Gordy

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Rides high in the saddle with great visibility and suspension; superlative interior and more pep than I expected. The cornering and handling are excellent. This vehicle has just about every option that one could desire in a luxury vehicle with gas mileage that is unparallelled in such a large vehicle. Price reduction and more info on tax credit for 2006 would be helpful.

The navigation system is easy to use and has many additional capabilities. The Mark Levinson stereo option is worth the money. While somewhat trivial, the full-service spare is a plus, together with the quick and easy process for access to the spare. Superb gas mileage even with a lead foot.