Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Reviews - 235 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

A signficant achievement for Lexus
By JPANCO

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As an engineer, I was very curious to see how the 400h would perform. Although the basic concepts of hybrid operation SOUND good, putting into practice while providing a pleasurable driving experience is something else. I am pleased beyond my expectations how Lexus pulled it off. You can barely detect the transitions between gas and electric power. Buyers should have realistic expectations, however. For highway driving, don't expect a radical improvement over a gas engine, because the 400h cruises under gas power. Also, the engine runs constantly for the first few minuets to warm up the catalytic converter. The real economy occurs for around-town driving after warmup.

I love the mpg feedback for every 5 minute interval. Navigation is easy to use. Truly a luxurious ride, with ample passing power - especially for an SUV.

The engine is rather loud under full throttle. The various graphics do not always agree with each other on whether gas or electric power is being applied, or whether the batteries are being charged or discharged.

A home run for "green" vehicles
By Darryl

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In my first month of ownership I have not found anything that I dislike, and for me that's unusual! The vehicle is a joy to drive and a real attention- getter. I was somewhat skeptical at first about the CVT as I expected it to be sluggish and ungainly, but after just a few miles I completely forgot that it wasn't a 4- or 5-speed automatic. I really like the fact that I can monitor fuel economy while driving and adjust my driving habits to maximize it. As far as I'm concerned, Lexus hit a real home run with this one, and it was well worth the 8 month wait from the time I originally ordered it.

The Mark Levinson sound system is awesome!

At this point I can't think of any!

Why not reward yourself?
By Sam

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have you found your soulmate yet?You know the feeling if you did.I really got that feeling when I picked up my RX 400h just a couple days ago.The car is awesome in every way, shape or form from head to toe, side to side...it's great!! I've been in my boss' Mercedes ML350, and other luxury cars, but there really is no comparison. The leather feels great, the ride is smooth, it's got awesome power&pick up,and best of all a full tank will last you a while!! Maintenance is economical. The price is steep, no doubt about that, but I adopted a line from the Mercedes car ad: 'Love what you drive'

The navigation system,heated seats,6-CD in dash player,voice commands r great!

Can't think of any thus far. The price is steep yes, but the car is a keeper!

Is this really an SUV??
By King Kelly

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Until I was given an RX 330 as a loaner for the day when my car was in for service, I was adamant about never purchasing another SUV. In my previous experience with an SUV, I felt like a 'weeble' whenever I drove it and was happy to get rid of it. What I can't get over is how comfortable my new R400h is to drive. It has a smoother ride than my SC430 had! I live in the Northeast and it plows through snow with effortless confidence, and when it's raining it feels as if I'm driving on dry pavement. The gas mileage, well, that speaks for itself.

The transmission is seamless, which keeps my coffee in it's cup! I love the rain-sensing winshield wipers and the navigation system. The power rear hatch is extremely handy as well!

I miss the wood accents of my previous Lexus models. I don't hate the brushed aluminum I have now, but I did love the burlwood when I had it.

NICE RIDE
By GINA

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love to drive my new lexus. I visit my local gas station about every three weeks. getting lost on the streets of long island is no longer possible. I love the bluetooth tech. My lexus drives like a dream, this is my first lexus.I like to get a new car every two years and will never buy any other make then lexus again..

My lexus handles very well in all weather. driving in the snow no longer frightens me. It does what I want it to do. I love the heated seats and blue tooth works great too.

the phone system does not work wel with my nextel. I can't get it to download my phone book.