2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
actual mpg
By danettem on 06/18/05 16:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ive been driving my RX 400h for six weeks/2200 miles. I am averaging 22 mpg, NOT the 31 mpg Lexus is advertising. The car drives beautifully and has plenty of power, but it is not getting the fuel economy I hoped from a hybrid. If you want to encourage hybrid technology and not sacrifice luxury, it's a great car. If you're truly interested in saving gas, this isn't the car for you.

The RX 400 h lives up to the hype
By drnsoi on 06/18/05 12:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The luxurious, quiet ride combined with effortless acceleration and speed make this SUV a joy to drive. In regular city/highway driving we are easily achieving 29 mpg overall. The only drawback is the narrow drivers cockpit legroom impeded by the center console. This console is completely unnecessary and should be eliminated or narrowed to provide better medial leg room (not every one is 5'6"). The RX400h handles like a sports car, and exceeds performance and quality expectations. It even out-accelerates the turbo- charged Range Rover touted as the "fastest" 0-60 SUV on the market. We had to put down a deposite and wait five months to get ours, but it was worth the wait.

June Hybrid review
By LEXUS 400H on 06/18/05 12:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have enjoyed the car immensely. Because of our hills, I'm not able to get the mileage I expected, but still is about 8 - 10 mpg better than my 300RX. Lots of nice "whistles and horns" I didn't know about - and leave it to Lexus to include a bilingual valet key to tell the car checker how to start it!!!

Unimpressive mileage
By EJ on 06/17/05 03:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Moving from my third LX 470 Lexus to the Hybrid RX400h took a bit of adjustment. This hybrid has an impressive pick up, very quiet ride and quieter when idling (had to honk to people in front several times). Mileage is not as good as claimed, under average driving conditions in the city 22 mpg, highway around 21 mpg. A little pricey but so is everything with a LEXUS logo. Comes with almost every option except three that you can order as extras. Surprisingly satellite radio is not one of them, I had to get it installed professionally off lexus and it worked out great!!.

New car
By stanton bizzell on 06/16/05 22:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great driving vehicle, with fantastic gas mileage. Seating could be softer and more comfortable. Otherwise love it!

Exceptional Vehicle
By The Greek on 06/15/05 15:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned the RX 400h since late April. I like just about everything about this SUV. It is a lot of fun to drive and it performs terrifically. Passing on the interstates is a breeze even at high speeds of greater than 80mph. It takes off like a "rocket". It is very quiet and comfortable. But most of all, I am elated with the gas mileage I am getting. The average mpg in the city has been better than the EPA estimate of 31. In fact, on one test recently, I averaged a whopping 40 mpg on pure city driving of 27.5 miles. This was without the AC on but I am still amazed. Obviously, one cannot drive like a hot rod to get this type of mileage. I get about 27-28 on the highway. Coasting helps a lot.

Have luxury and save gas at as well
By Jay on 06/15/05 06:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my RX 400h for nearly 3 weeks and I have fallen completely in love with it. I have driven just over 1,000 miles and I am still on the original tank of gas I got when I drove it away. The operation is seamless. What fun to be able to drive in luxury and save gas at the same time.

Does it worth $10K over the RX 330?
By Les on 06/15/05 02:46 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Disappointed with the interior of the dashboard and steering wheel--the RX 300 looks more impressive. The Navigation screen is hard to see during sunny days due to glare (at nights it is wonderful). Overall gas mileage for the first 1,000 miles is about 26mpg, even though we drove more in city thn on the highway. This figure is about 35% better than the RX 300, but not what Lexus claims.

Great Hybrid SUV
By faichu on 06/12/05 23:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So far, I'm very happy with the car. It's got about 1300 miles on it (mix of city and highway), and is averaging 26 mpg (in real life). Not quite the 31/27 reported by Lexus, but nevertheless pretty good when it comes to SUVs. My wifes's GX only gets around 14 or 15. I have noticed that having the AC on during a hot day will tend to decrease the mpg. The car has all the nifty gadgets that you could want. The navigation is particulary nice, although it may be wrong on occassion. I would have liked a wood trim option instead of the aluminum trim (wood is nicer on the steering wheel). The automated engine start/stop takes a little getting used to, especially during hard acceleration.

RX 400h Pleasure to Drive
By PAPleased on 06/11/05 15:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned a Lexus RX 400h for only a couple of weeks, but I have become very attached to it. From the silent start to the screen display of my GPS/mileage/fuel consumption, this car is a blast to drive. It has great performance and the hybrid technology is impressive. I still have not had to fill the tank. I plan to replace our other car with one of these or its cousin, the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I am very pleased with my vehicle and I have never had a problem with anything built by Toyota/Lexus.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.