Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

Love this Car
By KellyT

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was hesitant to buy any SUV; I typically am much more environmentally conservative. However, after years of not being able to get equipment and kids in vehicles, I relented. The Lexus Hybrid is a pleasure to drive. It takes curves well and handles well in high volume traffic. I feel secure behind the wheel. I have the back-up mirror which I love and I feel secure in it with my kids in car seats. I am also an executive though..and it doesn't feel just like a mommy car.

Lights that move around the curves; side pockets that open; lots of cup holders, back up mirror.

Back up sounds for getting close to obstacle.

Sold car 3 weeks after purchase
By Dr. Dave

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Three weeks after purchase, I traded the car and took a financial loss because of significant safety issues. When in reverse at night, it is difficult to see what's behind and below because the window is over 4' high, the window has dark tinting, and rear camera does not show anything in the dark. In reverse, the car runs on the battery and someone behind cannot hear the car coming and the driver cannot see anyone. It's an accident waiting to happen. Next, there is only one low gear which doesn't hold back the car like normal low gears. I don't like being forced to brake on snowy/icy roads. Good gas mileage requires constant monitoring and is almost same as RX330 on freeway, as Lexus admits.

Mark Levinson stereo

Address serious safety issue of backing up at night and not being able to see and pedestrians (or kids) not hearing car moving because it operates on battery. Be upfront with people about gas mileage.

A signficant achievement for Lexus
By JPANCO

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As an engineer, I was very curious to see how the 400h would perform. Although the basic concepts of hybrid operation SOUND good, putting into practice while providing a pleasurable driving experience is something else. I am pleased beyond my expectations how Lexus pulled it off. You can barely detect the transitions between gas and electric power. Buyers should have realistic expectations, however. For highway driving, don't expect a radical improvement over a gas engine, because the 400h cruises under gas power. Also, the engine runs constantly for the first few minuets to warm up the catalytic converter. The real economy occurs for around-town driving after warmup.

I love the mpg feedback for every 5 minute interval. Navigation is easy to use. Truly a luxurious ride, with ample passing power - especially for an SUV.

The engine is rather loud under full throttle. The various graphics do not always agree with each other on whether gas or electric power is being applied, or whether the batteries are being charged or discharged.

A home run for "green" vehicles
By Darryl

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In my first month of ownership I have not found anything that I dislike, and for me that's unusual! The vehicle is a joy to drive and a real attention- getter. I was somewhat skeptical at first about the CVT as I expected it to be sluggish and ungainly, but after just a few miles I completely forgot that it wasn't a 4- or 5-speed automatic. I really like the fact that I can monitor fuel economy while driving and adjust my driving habits to maximize it. As far as I'm concerned, Lexus hit a real home run with this one, and it was well worth the 8 month wait from the time I originally ordered it.

The Mark Levinson sound system is awesome!

At this point I can't think of any!

Why not reward yourself?
By Sam

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have you found your soulmate yet?You know the feeling if you did.I really got that feeling when I picked up my RX 400h just a couple days ago.The car is awesome in every way, shape or form from head to toe, side to side...it's great!! I've been in my boss' Mercedes ML350, and other luxury cars, but there really is no comparison. The leather feels great, the ride is smooth, it's got awesome power&pick up,and best of all a full tank will last you a while!! Maintenance is economical. The price is steep, no doubt about that, but I adopted a line from the Mercedes car ad: 'Love what you drive'

The navigation system,heated seats,6-CD in dash player,voice commands r great!

Can't think of any thus far. The price is steep yes, but the car is a keeper!