2006 Lexus RX 400h - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
Lexus 400H
By bonnie on 07/07/05 10:42 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fun to drive, very comfortable, quality throughout, my experience with Toyota products has been excellent. The 400 H has great pickup and I do not notice any engine noise? It is very quiet.

A perfect "10"
By gary peters on 07/02/05 16:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Wonderful, dazzling, real high tech, amazing..vehicle..quiet, shines in town, fun to drive, feels like a performance vehicle when you need to accelerate, battery operated around town and low speeds..the best SUV available today..

Great Expectations
By doc on 07/02/05 00:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I waited 20 months after researching most all of the major automotive periodicals and was misled. Lexus has delivered a dud. I was told that my fuel cosumption would be in the range of 38 mpg in town and 32 mpg on the hyway. Then about 4 mo.s before delivery they changed 32 in town and 29 on the hyway with an average of 30+. When I returned the vehicle to be examined because of the mileage situation the dealership told me to wait till the vehicle has 10k miles and it should get better. Well at 5k my overall average is a disappointing 24 mpg. Plus a week after purchase the wind screen fractured with out being struck by anything and was not repaired until I threatened legal action. Bad buy!

What savings on gas?
By Woody Kaplan on 06/30/05 01:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After owning 99 RX300, 2002 RX300 and waiting almost 2 years from time order was placed for Rx400h I trurly expected better gas mileage. Wife has been driving 04 Prius past year and is getting 48mpg. My expectation was set very high for my 06 RX. Second week of ownership we took off to Denver from Palm Desert, CA. On open highway with Air on always, going up and down hills with full load in car, driving as if egg was under gas pedal, we could only squeeze 24.7 mpg over all. Once back home in P.D I have been driving in city 100% of time. Can not get more then 21mpg while Pruis gets 48mpg with same gas from Costco. Lexus claims 28mpg highway, 31 city or so the sticker said.

Riding on the wind
By Woody on 06/29/05 14:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had a Lexus RX 300. It saved my life in an accident four years ago in Florida. I had no second thought as to quality and safety when I traded in my RX 300 for my new 400h. It will take a little time to get use to turning the key and not hearing a sound like a regular gas powered RX. It will also take some time to get use to the backup camera and rear door that opens with the push of a button . Now if I can only find someone that will drive "Me" around in it so I can sit back in the rear reclining seats , and watch a dvd on the entertainment system !

love my lexus
By drjulie on 06/28/05 23:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just got this 4 days ago, and I already love it. I traded a sedan that "REQUIRED" the highest octane fuel and love this gas effeciency - much better than my sedan, and loads better than my friends with SUV's, plus you don't have to give up luxury.

2006 Lexus SUV RX400h
By Sandy Pringle on 06/28/05 21:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Probably the most powerful car I've ever owned. The powerful feel of acceleration is just a bit scary at first as it is unexpected. This is a real luxury car with all the goodies. I wanted a hybrid, but declined the lightweight and somewhat flimsy feel of the other vehicles on the market.

Good but not great
By GNewman on 06/25/05 17:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My gas mileage so far has been about 23 to 25 miles per gallon, but despite the claims, I really didn't expect much more. The car rides nicely but I do have a rattle in the back. The standard sound system is poor - much worse than in my 1998 Volvo. Get the upgraded sound system if you can. Also, I like the old wood trim better than the brushed chrome, which I think looks a bit cheap. Overall, the car is comfortable and rides well.

Lexus quality, not so great gas mileage
By r1509 on 06/18/05 20:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this vehicle for about 4 weeks. I have put about 4200 miles, mostly highway, on the 400h and this is my experience: The 400h is a pleasure to drive. Lots of power when you need it, and rock stable on the road at speeds (by me) up to 105 mph. All systems (air, power, etc.) are flawless. Now the not so good news. The highway mileage is about 26 mpg, excellent for an suv of this weight. In town, where I expected it to shine, I've been getting 22-24 mpg, and that is with careful monitoring of the fuel consumption, and attention to light acceleration. I have talked to other drivers who have the same 400h experience. I have to admit that I am disappointed. Perhaps it will improve.

actual mpg
By danettem on 06/18/05 16:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ive been driving my RX 400h for six weeks/2200 miles. I am averaging 22 mpg, NOT the 31 mpg Lexus is advertising. The car drives beautifully and has plenty of power, but it is not getting the fuel economy I hoped from a hybrid. If you want to encourage hybrid technology and not sacrifice luxury, it's a great car. If you're truly interested in saving gas, this isn't the car for you.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.