Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus Rx-400h - Consumer Reviews

2006 Lexus RX 400h

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

The best SUV we have owned
By Geoff D

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We own BMW's and Mercedes and this was our first Lexus. Overall it is my wife's favorite vehicle ever. Ride is superb, build quality and design excellent and lots of interior space. It has recorded on average 25mpg and is wonderfully quiet even under hard acceleration. Fabulous pickup in the 30 to 60 range. Our favorite vehicle to use on long runs from San Francisco to Seattle

Favorite Features

Ride comfort, interior seats, excellent acceleration, fun mpg display. Feeling of being in a very safe vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Need beep tones instead of camera for backing up like the BMW park distance control. Make dirt to stick to paintwork so that I feel that it needs hand washing more often. Always looks too clean.

Great Car
By Lev

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the nav, mileage, and performance. Highly recommend

Favorite Features

Nav Bluetooth BU Camera

Suggested Improvements

Wood nterior

2006 Lexus RX 400h
By Haz

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Let me qualify that I traded a 2002 BMW M3 in on this vehicle, so the fun to drive rating for me was relative. I find the vehicle to be everything I was looking for as I needed the utility and cargo carrying capacity however I was unwilling to burn the amount of gasoline/pollutants for the 97% of the time I would not require same. Acceleration, comfort, ride quality... the LEAST amount of compromise for a vehicle segment that offers little choice.

Favorite Features

Nav, Levinson stereo, power liftgate, bluetooth, VERY comfortable ingress/egress, seats are reasonably supportive considering I came from an all out sports car. I am getting about 27.5 mpg in town and I have yet to take a highway only type of trip, therefore I can't comment on the highway mpg.

Suggested Improvements

I would love to be able to select a battery only mode since about 70% of my commute is 30 mph stop and go traffic. I also believe a software update could be fashioned where you could select a "super economy mode" where the gasoline motor would kick in at a later point, for added economy.

Power, Grace and Beauty
By Howard

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my RX 400h. It has great power and control -- a definite luxury vehicle which just happens to be environmentally friendly. The only drawback is that the actual mileage is lower than advertised -- I am getting combined 24-25 mpg, and probably 23 mpg in very cold weather. Real driving and not on a test site produces much lower results than promoted and that was disappointing. Even so, this vehicle is pure bliss to drive and I am not noticing any significant engine noise as reported in other reviews. Drive it and enjoy.

Favorite Features

Xenon headlights that adjust with turning -- high beams are incredible; Navigation system is great; most important -- pure comfort

Suggested Improvements

advertise true mpg results

Not Up to Lexus Standards
By TJ

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Continued problems with intermediate braking and steering. The dealership and factory have said pulsating braking and difficult steering are acceptable due to nature of electric regenerative engine. Driving performance of car not up to Lexus standards. Would not recommend purchasing expensive hybrid that does not deliver performance or mileage as advertised.

Favorite Features

Exterior design

Suggested Improvements

Improve regenerative braking system to ensure the driving performance of the car is not compromised.