2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
Best reliability of the three vehicles I've owned
By cjopil on 01/27/12 09:06 AM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've purchased a Ford Taurus and a GM Alero brand new and both vehicles had $2-$3k issues just after 3 years of ownership. I bought a 2006 RX400H used in 2009 (from dealership, it was leased). Initial problem was the battery in the CPU; I don't believe the dealership changed it out and I couldn't start the vehicle if it sat for longer than 24 hours. Since then, no problem - just regular maintenance. Put one new set of tires on it, avg MPG is 27 (being very conscious to "coast." Best savings: my husband sat in 3 hours of traffic to drive 45 miles due to a snowstorm and used less than 2 gallons of gas.

Mixed review
By erin on 08/17/09 15:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great deal of comfort smooth quite ride with fuel approx. 28 mpg. Lower mpg on highway. Largest complaint Tires wear out at a much greater rate than any car I have previously owned. Checked alignment etc. to no avail a constant issue. Also have had two batteries!

Third RX
By third rx on 02/03/09 09:53 AM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Flawless in quality (no repair needed ever on any of three RXs I've owned over past 9 years).

Love it
By Ed on 04/06/08 20:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had the RX 400h for 2 years now and my wife and I love it. The power and quick acceleration when needed was a surprise. The turning radius is extremely small and steering is the best I've ever had on any vehicle. I think the ride is exceptional and quiet. My first experience with a hybrid and it has exceeded my expectation.

A New Driving Experience
By Garyeth on 12/28/06 18:45 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 10 months of driving the RX 400h I am sold on this car. I previously owned a non-hybrid Lexus RX 300 and the hybrid is so much more powerful and fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg which is more than adequate for the size and weight of this car. The challenge is to see how far you can coast on battery power in order to increase your mileage. This takes a light foot on acceleration as well as easy breaking. As with my 6 previous Lexus automobiles, this car has required no servicing to date and should prove to be very reliable. The acceleration is more like a V8 due to the combination of electric motors and gas engine. We've been to the mountains and had no problems on the hills.

Excellent car! Perfect choice for me.
By waynem on 11/12/06 12:27 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a certified used '06 hybrid (the first my local dealership had), and I have to say I absolutely love this car! I had been keeping an eye out for a used one. I am really happy with everything so far, especially the mileage. Since mine has been already "broken in", I am averaging 28-29 mpg, granted I do a lot of street driving, so that helps. Everything I loved about my previous RX is here and many things have been improved, so I don't have any real complaints. The only thing that could be improved further is the nav system, in my opinion. I'd highly recommend this car.

Love it!
By Mrs. Rogers on 10/17/06 11:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My husband and I wanted an SUV and the Lexus RX 400h was an obvious choice. It doesn't take premium fuel like comprable models which adds to the gas affordability of driving a hybrid. I previously drove a BMW 330xi and thought that the transition to an SUV would be remarkable, however the Lexus is built on a Camry frame, so I don't feel as though I am towering over other vehicles. The only obstacle we have experienced was that the cross bars are not stable enough for a bike rack, so those must be purchased and installed. Also, a towing hitch can only be optained as a post-factory dealer installation for around $7000. Consider your recreational requirements before purchase.

Not the advertised MPG!
By jeneaneball on 09/04/06 18:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The only reason I purchsed the 400h was because of the so called "great gas mileage." A joke at best. I live in Texas, it can't get any flatter, I am a very conservative driver and my MPG is at 21.2. I guess the only way to get the 29-33 mpg they claim is to drive under 40 mph, never run the air conditioner and live where the air temperature is always in the 70s.

This RX 400h is great!
By Gene Knight on 08/16/06 15:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really like the vehicle, it's got a really smooth ride, and very quiet running, in both gas and electric modes. I traded in my 2003 RX 330, and the 400h gets about 5 mpg better fuel economy than my 330. There is a lot more passing power in this RX 400h than the 330 had, it sort of lagged at times but the 400h has instant power.

Excellent combo of power and efficiency
By tdt on 06/07/06 16:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife loves our fully equipped RXh, which blends excellent performance with good economy. We are getting 26- 28mpg mixed driving around DFW compared with 20-22mpg with our old RX 330. Highway passing power is surprisingly strong. The Mark Levinson sound system is umsurpassed in this quiet and smooth vehicle. Very comfortable for our family of four.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.