Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Amazing Vehicle.
By dwc20

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This Vehicle is the Best suv to own hands down. For those of you who own one or have driven one, you know what I'm talking about. Awesome look, feel, ride, and reliablility. I will never consider owning anything other then lexus for those reasons listed above. The thing moves! Very very fast like a v8, but with 4cyl. effieciency. Gas mileage is great! 26-29 overall. For a vehicle weighing in at 5000 pounds and AWD, you would be crazy not to think that it was fuel efficient. If there were a negative review on this vehicle it would have to be from another car manufacturer because they just cant handle quality like this. Take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you!

Favorite Features

We have the Black with Black leather. Xenon headlights, Mark levinson audio, Nav with backup camera. Heated seats, Rain sensing wipers. lexus emblem glows orange on the floor boards when you open the doors.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't change anything. In fact, I actually like this body style better then the new 450h!

I am stumped
By sam1941

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Lexus RX 400h and I have already driven it 98,000 miles. But the number of service problems that have been coming up recently are very frustrating. The criuse control died, the battery died, the radiator was leaking and had to be replaced, (not a single drop of coolant on the garage door) and just yesterday the timing belt, the pullies and the water pump had to be replaced too per Lexus request. More than $2500 in less than a year. Is my beloved SUV falling apart or is this a conspiracy !!! I bought my SUV brand new in May 2005 and I feel that I am suffering through the deficiency of it being the first year model in this series.

Favorite Features

Comfortable and environmentally friendly

Suggested Improvements

Lexus should take care of the faulty design of their vehicles. there is not a single reason for a quality care to have defective ruise control, radiator and timing belt. It is a shame. I had a Chevy Nova that I kept for 12 years till my teenage daughter wrecked and had no problem with these essential parts.

love it, but it does have faults
By rx400howner

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been the best car I've ever owned, however, I have never gotten more than 21 MPG. Beyond that, there are no cup holders for those in the back seats, which I never thought of until it became an issue. The navigation system takes too long to start & the update ($500) I paid for after a few years didn't include any noticeable improvements. In my 6th year, as well as this, my 7th year of ownership, I have experienced a new issue with the door to the gas cap sticking, with an annoying wait while gas visibly escapes to relieve pressure in order for the door to open. The dealer tells me this is normal, but it is new to me in all of these years. Its a fun car to drive but with flaws.

Favorite Features

I love the power of this vehicle. I have used it for towing trailers many times. The car is fun to drive and it feels very safe and comfortable, especially since I take many long cross country trips. I actually prefer driving cross country to flying because its so comfortable and reliable.

Suggested Improvements

I can't believe they forgot to put cup holders for passengers in the back seats. The navigation system could stand improvement, but likely has already seen that change (I wouldn't know because I'm still driving my car at nearly 150k miles, with no intention of trading it in soon). However, by far the biggest thing I think needs improvement is the issue with the gas door not opening when its hot outside. I have tried everything, including only letting the gas tank get half empty, and still I have to wait at the mercy of whenever there is enough pressure released in order to re-fuel. Watching the fumes escape the hatch makes me wonder if this isn't dangerous, besides highly annoying!

Actual gas mileage = false advertising
By phsandiego

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our gas mileage has never been as advertised. We bought our RX400h with 8000 miles on it in Sept 2006. It was 1 yr old, the prior owner traded it in fast and took a $20k loss on the trade in. We have always averaged 26.2 mpg in a mix of city/hiway driving. We had the hybid inverter module replaced in Feb 2012. $10k+ repair! Our gas mileage then plummeted from 26.2 to 23.4 mpg. We suspect that Lexus reprogrammed the engine management computer to use the gas engine more and the hybrid less so as to extend the life of the batteries and inverter. This way, they won't have to make so many expensive warranty repairs. Please let us know if you saw the same thing with your mileage.

Favorite Features

AC outlet in rear. Back up camera. Bluetooth connect to cell phone for hand free driving.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage! Mileage! Mileage!

Getting old and still working well
By erik36

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am not much of a car buff, but after looking at the reviews thought I would check in about my car at 130,000 miles. No problems. Gets 27+ mpg on my 45 mi/hr commute which is flat and allows for coasting. As I read the reviews, I see that the biggest complaint is repair costs. I expect that that is the way it is with all Lexuses. However, I have not had any, except recalls which were free (in cost and hassle factor). Love this car.

Favorite Features

great ride

Suggested Improvements

navigation system is outdated. Upgrade is prohibitively expensive.