Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

Getting old and still working well
By erik36

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am not much of a car buff, but after looking at the reviews thought I would check in about my car at 130,000 miles. No problems. Gets 27+ mpg on my 45 mi/hr commute which is flat and allows for coasting. As I read the reviews, I see that the biggest complaint is repair costs. I expect that that is the way it is with all Lexuses. However, I have not had any, except recalls which were free (in cost and hassle factor). Love this car.

great ride

navigation system is outdated. Upgrade is prohibitively expensive.

love it, but it does have faults
By rx400howner

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been the best car I've ever owned, however, I have never gotten more than 21 MPG. Beyond that, there are no cup holders for those in the back seats, which I never thought of until it became an issue. The navigation system takes too long to start & the update ($500) I paid for after a few years didn't include any noticeable improvements. In my 6th year, as well as this, my 7th year of ownership, I have experienced a new issue with the door to the gas cap sticking, with an annoying wait while gas visibly escapes to relieve pressure in order for the door to open. The dealer tells me this is normal, but it is new to me in all of these years. Its a fun car to drive but with flaws.

I love the power of this vehicle. I have used it for towing trailers many times. The car is fun to drive and it feels very safe and comfortable, especially since I take many long cross country trips. I actually prefer driving cross country to flying because its so comfortable and reliable.

I can't believe they forgot to put cup holders for passengers in the back seats. The navigation system could stand improvement, but likely has already seen that change (I wouldn't know because I'm still driving my car at nearly 150k miles, with no intention of trading it in soon). However, by far the biggest thing I think needs improvement is the issue with the gas door not opening when its hot outside. I have tried everything, including only letting the gas tank get half empty, and still I have to wait at the mercy of whenever there is enough pressure released in order to re-fuel. Watching the fumes escape the hatch makes me wonder if this isn't dangerous, besides highly annoying!

Long term REview 2006 Lexus RX400h
By kimcanada

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Long term results report. I had my invertor replaced september 3, 2010. So far it has been bullet proof. Toyota fixed this $10,000 repair for free. Basically it is a faulty invertor , recall # 87559 June 29, 2011. This was at 64,000 miles and I am now at 96,000 miles with everything working well. I had to do the timing belt, tensioners, water pump , as part of the recommended 90,000 mile maintenance. I also had to do a radiator and front control arm bushings so this was a major bill. I did switch tires to Yokohama Parada's so the car rides very well but thye are not the longest lasting tires. Gotta figure if there is a cheaper way than a lexus dealer. But in thinking of doing all this work I decided this is a overall very reliable car and worth doing as the car rides well, looks good, and is nice to drive. I figure the Prius 's I have seen used as cabs are going over 300,000 miles so there is some precedent for long term ownership. Yes I would buy one again ( and I guess by fixing it I am planning another 90,000 miles , I hope ! )

Nicely finished, ride well, looks good, pretty reliable

Lexus service is expensive at times . The timing belt - water pump fix is costly. If the invertor has not been done , get the dealer to do this as it is a recall safety hazard. It's a Hybrid so we all hope Toyota stands behind this technology !

Actual gas mileage = false advertising
By phsandiego

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our gas mileage has never been as advertised. We bought our RX400h with 8000 miles on it in Sept 2006. It was 1 yr old, the prior owner traded it in fast and took a $20k loss on the trade in. We have always averaged 26.2 mpg in a mix of city/hiway driving. We had the hybid inverter module replaced in Feb 2012. $10k+ repair! Our gas mileage then plummeted from 26.2 to 23.4 mpg. We suspect that Lexus reprogrammed the engine management computer to use the gas engine more and the hybrid less so as to extend the life of the batteries and inverter. This way, they won't have to make so many expensive warranty repairs. Please let us know if you saw the same thing with your mileage.

AC outlet in rear. Back up camera. Bluetooth connect to cell phone for hand free driving.

Mileage! Mileage! Mileage!

I am stumped
By sam1941

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Lexus RX 400h and I have already driven it 98,000 miles. But the number of service problems that have been coming up recently are very frustrating. The criuse control died, the battery died, the radiator was leaking and had to be replaced, (not a single drop of coolant on the garage door) and just yesterday the timing belt, the pullies and the water pump had to be replaced too per Lexus request. More than $2500 in less than a year. Is my beloved SUV falling apart or is this a conspiracy !!! I bought my SUV brand new in May 2005 and I feel that I am suffering through the deficiency of it being the first year model in this series.

Comfortable and environmentally friendly

Lexus should take care of the faulty design of their vehicles. there is not a single reason for a quality care to have defective ruise control, radiator and timing belt. It is a shame. I had a Chevy Nova that I kept for 12 years till my teenage daughter wrecked and had no problem with these essential parts.