Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV Consumer Reviews - 235 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

Never again
By Unhappylexusowner

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had many luxury vehicles, and this one by far has needed the most repairs, and had the wierdest, most difficult to diagnose problems of them all. My mercedes never had an issue, and routine maintenance was a pleasure with loaner car service. My grand cherokees have been somewhat maintenance prone, but dead on schedule and ultra-reliable. This thing? I'm afraid to drive it anywhere. There's a shudder in the front end that nobody seems to be able to fix, even after replacing brakes all around including calipers and rotors, cv axles, struts, bushings, and wheel bearings... the mileage is absolutely horrible, 23 at best. The gps is akward and outdated, and updates are definitely not worth the cost. There is no way to add an auxiliary input for audio from any other source, the back seat passengers can modify your gps entries from the rear seat entertainment system and you cannot stop them from doing so because you can't make that system stay off if they turn it back on. The car has horrible body roll in corners, worse than any other vehicle I've driven in 40 years of driving. The button and control layout of vital things like defrost and cruise control are all unintuitive ly placed or are a reach to get to, forcing you to take your eyes off the road. I drive about 100k miles a year and this has been the worst. I'll never buy another lexus.

Our RX
By For Every

Can recommend
By Kushan

Good place to buy cars

Getting old and still working well
By erik36

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am not much of a car buff, but after looking at the reviews thought I would check in about my car at 130,000 miles. No problems. Gets 27+ mpg on my 45 mi/hr commute which is flat and allows for coasting. As I read the reviews, I see that the biggest complaint is repair costs. I expect that that is the way it is with all Lexuses. However, I have not had any, except recalls which were free (in cost and hassle factor). Love this car.

great ride

navigation system is outdated. Upgrade is prohibitively expensive.

love it, but it does have faults
By rx400howner

2006 Lexus RX 400h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been the best car I've ever owned, however, I have never gotten more than 21 MPG.
Beyond that, there are no cup holders for those in the back seats, which I never thought of until it became an issue.
The navigation system takes too long to start & the update ($500) I paid for after a few years didn't include any noticeable improvements.
In my 6th year, as well as this, my 7th year of ownership, I have experienced a new issue with the door to the gas cap sticking, with an annoying wait while gas visibly escapes to relieve pressure in order for the door to open.
The dealer tells me this is normal, but it is new to me in all of these years.
Its a fun car to drive but with flaws.

I love the power of this vehicle. I have used it for towing trailers many times. The car is fun to drive and it feels very safe and comfortable, especially since I take many long cross country trips. I actually prefer driving cross country to flying because its so comfortable and reliable.

I can't believe they forgot to put cup holders for passengers in the back seats. The navigation system could stand improvement, but likely has already seen that change (I wouldn't know because I'm still driving my car at nearly 150k miles, with no intention of trading it in soon). However, by far the biggest thing I think needs improvement is the issue with the gas door not opening when its hot outside. I have tried everything, including only letting the gas tank get half empty, and still I have to wait at the mercy of whenever there is enough pressure released in order to re-fuel. Watching the fumes escape the hatch makes me wonder if this isn't dangerous, besides highly annoying!