Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus Rx-400h - Consumer Reviews

2006 Lexus RX 400h

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

Best reliability of the three vehicles I've owned
By cjopil

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've purchased a Ford Taurus and a GM Alero brand new and both vehicles had $2-$3k issues just after 3 years of ownership. I bought a 2006 RX400H used in 2009 (from dealership, it was leased). Initial problem was the battery in the CPU; I don't believe the dealership changed it out and I couldn't start the vehicle if it sat for longer than 24 hours. Since then, no problem - just regular maintenance. Put one new set of tires on it, avg MPG is 27 (being very conscious to "coast." Best savings: my husband sat in 3 hours of traffic to drive 45 miles due to a snowstorm and used less than 2 gallons of gas.

Favorite Features

There's a lot of features which I have honestly forgotten once we left the initial training session, but in general the single-push trunk open & close is the most commonly used. Bright headlights help nighttime/rain visibility. Comfortable seating in front & rear, you can cram quite a bit of items into the vehicle (for those of you who buy Ikea flatpack stuff). If you actually get 40 mpg I would be stunned but I do average 27. For an SUV, I'm happy with it. I get the size I want for the vehicle but it's not 21-22 mpg as most SUV's are. It's the same mpg average as my cars were.

Suggested Improvements

The GPS is a pain. It doesn't seem to understand English, and it's extremely inflexible with the way addresses are input. There's no allowance for having a passenger input an address (you have to be stopped to type anything in) and the fact that there's a 300 page manual to use it makes it clearly unintuitive. Usually I resort to using the nav on my I-PHone instead. Paying $250 or so to continuously update the system is unnecessary, I'd rather pay for sattelite radio and get a better nav with real-time traffic updates.

Mixed review
By erin

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great deal of comfort smooth quite ride with fuel approx. 28 mpg. Lower mpg on highway. Largest complaint Tires wear out at a much greater rate than any car I have previously owned. Checked alignment etc. to no avail a constant issue. Also have had two batteries!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

tires

Third RX
By third rx

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Flawless in quality (no repair needed ever on any of three RXs I've owned over past 9 years).

Favorite Features

The hybrid technology

Suggested Improvements

Needs updated software for nav system. My own home (then 3 years old) is not findable on the nav system. Seems it shouldn't have to cost an additional $280 for new software to get to your own home after you've paid $50k for your car.

Love it
By Ed

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had the RX 400h for 2 years now and my wife and I love it. The power and quick acceleration when needed was a surprise. The turning radius is extremely small and steering is the best I've ever had on any vehicle. I think the ride is exceptional and quiet. My first experience with a hybrid and it has exceeded my expectation.

Favorite Features

Back-up camera, auto seat settings, 1 for my wife and 1 for me.

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint I have with the car is that you have to be stoped before you can reset the GPS. What's up with that.

A New Driving Experience
By Garyeth

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 10 months of driving the RX 400h I am sold on this car. I previously owned a non-hybrid Lexus RX 300 and the hybrid is so much more powerful and fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg which is more than adequate for the size and weight of this car. The challenge is to see how far you can coast on battery power in order to increase your mileage. This takes a light foot on acceleration as well as easy breaking. As with my 6 previous Lexus automobiles, this car has required no servicing to date and should prove to be very reliable. The acceleration is more like a V8 due to the combination of electric motors and gas engine. We've been to the mountains and had no problems on the hills.

Favorite Features

The standard sound system on this car is superb. I also enjoy the power tailgate which is very convenient when loading groceries. The pickup is excellent and I can't complain about saving gas with the 25+ mpg. I like the headlamps that turn with the steering wheel for better cornering visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Not a big deal but it would be nice to include the electric lumbar adjustment on the passenger side along with the driver's side. This helps on those long trips.