2006 Lexus RX 400h - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:
love it, but it does have faults
By rx400howner on 07/10/13 09:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been the best car I've ever owned, however, I have never gotten more than 21 MPG. Beyond that, there are no cup holders for those in the back seats, which I never thought of until it became an issue. The navigation system takes too long to start & the update ($500) I paid for after a few years didn't include any noticeable improvements. In my 6th year, as well as this, my 7th year of ownership, I have experienced a new issue with the door to the gas cap sticking, with an annoying wait while gas visibly escapes to relieve pressure in order for the door to open. The dealer tells me this is normal, but it is new to me in all of these years. Its a fun car to drive but with flaws.

Long term REview 2006 Lexus RX400h
By kimcanada on 12/17/12 23:44 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Long term results report. I had my invertor replaced september 3, 2010. So far it has been bullet proof. Toyota fixed this $10,000 repair for free. Basically it is a faulty invertor , recall # 87559 June 29, 2011. This was at 64,000 miles and I am now at 96,000 miles with everything working well. I had to do the timing belt, tensioners, water pump , as part of the recommended 90,000 mile maintenance. I also had to do a radiator and front control arm bushings so this was a major bill. I did switch tires to Yokohama Parada's so the car rides very well but thye are not the longest lasting tires. Gotta figure if there is a cheaper way than a lexus dealer. But in thinking of doing all this work I decided this is a overall very reliable car and worth doing as the car rides well, looks good, and is nice to drive. I figure the Prius 's I have seen used as cabs are going over 300,000 miles so there is some precedent for long term ownership. Yes I would buy one again ( and I guess by fixing it I am planning another 90,000 miles , I hope ! )

Actual gas mileage = false advertising
By phsandiego on 11/12/12 13:34 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our gas mileage has never been as advertised. We bought our RX400h with 8000 miles on it in Sept 2006. It was 1 yr old, the prior owner traded it in fast and took a $20k loss on the trade in. We have always averaged 26.2 mpg in a mix of city/hiway driving. We had the hybid inverter module replaced in Feb 2012. $10k+ repair! Our gas mileage then plummeted from 26.2 to 23.4 mpg. We suspect that Lexus reprogrammed the engine management computer to use the gas engine more and the hybrid less so as to extend the life of the batteries and inverter. This way, they won't have to make so many expensive warranty repairs. Please let us know if you saw the same thing with your mileage.

I am stumped
By sam1941 on 06/03/12 03:33 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Lexus RX 400h and I have already driven it 98,000 miles. But the number of service problems that have been coming up recently are very frustrating. The criuse control died, the battery died, the radiator was leaking and had to be replaced, (not a single drop of coolant on the garage door) and just yesterday the timing belt, the pullies and the water pump had to be replaced too per Lexus request. More than $2500 in less than a year. Is my beloved SUV falling apart or is this a conspiracy !!! I bought my SUV brand new in May 2005 and I feel that I am suffering through the deficiency of it being the first year model in this series.

Big Ticket Repairs
By michele55 on 05/29/12 08:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Last year while far from home my RX400h stopped dead on the highway. After having it towed 145 miles and losing 3 days of vacation, Lexus replaced the computer to the hybrid system. The car was under warranty so other than a LOT of hassle, it only cost me $150 not $10,000+. Two weeks ago, I was driving in town and my car died again. Luckily I was able to get the car over to the side of the road--all the systems died. After about a week of trying to figure out what was wrong, Lexus determined it was the inverter and gratefully, even though out of warranty, the dealership replaced the part ($10K+) for free (98K miles on my Rx). My gas mileage has never been much more than 24-25mpg.

Amazing Vehicle.
By dwc20 on 02/21/12 13:02 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This Vehicle is the Best suv to own hands down. For those of you who own one or have driven one, you know what I'm talking about. Awesome look, feel, ride, and reliablility. I will never consider owning anything other then lexus for those reasons listed above. The thing moves! Very very fast like a v8, but with 4cyl. effieciency. Gas mileage is great! 26-29 overall. For a vehicle weighing in at 5000 pounds and AWD, you would be crazy not to think that it was fuel efficient. If there were a negative review on this vehicle it would have to be from another car manufacturer because they just cant handle quality like this. Take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you!

Best reliability of the three vehicles I've owned
By cjopil on 01/27/12 09:06 AM (PST)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've purchased a Ford Taurus and a GM Alero brand new and both vehicles had $2-$3k issues just after 3 years of ownership. I bought a 2006 RX400H used in 2009 (from dealership, it was leased). Initial problem was the battery in the CPU; I don't believe the dealership changed it out and I couldn't start the vehicle if it sat for longer than 24 hours. Since then, no problem - just regular maintenance. Put one new set of tires on it, avg MPG is 27 (being very conscious to "coast." Best savings: my husband sat in 3 hours of traffic to drive 45 miles due to a snowstorm and used less than 2 gallons of gas.

Great Everything Vehicle
By jonkron on 08/04/11 12:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my wife's car. We bought it used with 35K and have since put 40K on it. I call it the 'cream puff' because it is a Japanese Cadillac. Luxury, ride, and fit & finish are top notch and reliability is excellent. I will be the first to admit the design was not my favorite initally- but I've grown to love it because it does everything very well. AWD has been successfully Tahoe tested many times. It is an extremely easy & comfortable vehicle to drive. She is looking at the new model for no other reason then the 'new' factor. Would buy this year & model again in a heartbeat.

400,000 Miles and still running smooth
By c4neo on 08/25/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

403,069 Miles (YES you read it right 400k+)and still feels smooth/reliable/ No major issues. This is my Second Toyota/Lexus vehicle. I bought this vehicle brand new (8 miles) five years ago and use it as my primary work vehicle (commute from Chicago to Atlanta) every week. I maintained it very good, (regular service, oil change, tries everything) but still my cost of maintenance was far less compared to any other vehicles like BMW/Mercedes (I owned both earlier and had ton of issues) I changed tires 8 times till date (every 50k miles). I am planning to trade in for 2012 RX450h (yes, I will make of my current vehicle till its hit 500,000 miles - Half million, I am very confident it will g

My Lexus RX 400
By Salim on 08/13/10 03:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my 2ed Lexus RX. I have had this vehicle for more than 5 years and I give it an over all rating of 8 on a 1-10 scale. Just a few days ago, the cruise control just quit and I am told that the stick on the steering column is broke; $400 to replace. I am on my third set of tires and I do not speed or burn rubber. Other than that the car has been very reliable and still looks almost brand new ( It is always garaged, however).

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.