2015 Lexus RX 350 Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Lexus RX 350

View reviews for a specific RX 350 model:

Luxury ride
By Patti Donovan

2015 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The RX350 is a sweet ride. It is quiet, smooth and comfortable. I love the parchment & black interior.

Luxury performance and ride
By Alan Farris

2015 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

F Sport. Think twice before purchasing this car.
By Lee Hagen

2015 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife wanted a Lexus... Bad. I tried talking her out if it but she wouldn't listen. When it came time to pick one out, I made the mistake of pushing for the F Sport because it was much better looking than the rolled under front bumper standard version.

The big problem with the F Sport is the ride and the transmission. We live in Wisconsin and test drove the car in the summer on decent roads. The ride is stiff... really stiff. I was concerned but the style got in the way of my judgement. Now that it's winter and the roads are crap (you know what I mean if you live here), I hate the ride. Our subdivision is older and the heaving on the street makes the car feel like you're riding a bucking bronco. I actually drive on the wrong side of the street in some places to avoid the bumps. The stiffness has gotten old in a hurry.

The other issue is the transmission. It's a joke. Why on earth would Lexus put in a eight speed tranny when they've programmed it to get into top gear as soon as possible? First gear is way too low. You step on the throttle from a stop and if you don't ease back to almost an idle position, it over-accelerates and makes it feel like you've mashed the pedal to the floor. There's a very fine line between idling away from a stop and lunging up to second gear.

Then it shifts...shifts...shifts... and by the time your going twenty miles an hour... you're in fifth gear. Hit forty... you're in eighth. The engineers have programmed the trans to get into top gear as soon as possible to save fuel.

Then comes the downshift issue. You get off the freeway, slow to thirty, as you step on the throttle to accelerate off, it doesn't downshift. You press harder and it still won't downshift. Not until you really give it some serious throttle, it will finally decide to downshift. The other annoying thing is... you're moving along at 70 and you hit a headwind, or the road heads uphill. It immediately downshifts as soon as you give it the hint of more throttle.

Oh... one more transmission programming oversight. The paddle shifters. You're driving along at 55, you apply throttle to accelerate, it won't downshift as usual, you pull the left lever to downshift... and it goes from eighth to fifth. What's up with that? I want seventh, then sixth. Dumb.

On the good side... Styling is nice, considering these cars are so cluttered trying to find their identity. Interior is very nice. Stereo is good. Seats have everything including the drivers side moves back when you shut it off. It's quiet. Motor goes well (when you really press on the gas)

On the not so good side... For a $53,000 car, the steering wheel isn't heated, it's hard and has no grip at all. The exhaust is annoyingly loud (another brilliant marketing move just for egotists). The car developed an rattle in the left front fender that took a couple trips to the dealer before the they found the problem. They thought I was nuts after multiple complaints and in the end my analysis was spot on. The tire pressure monitor had problems after a few thousand miles and we've been back twice to balance and rotate the tires trying to eliminate noise. Hasn't helped.

To me, the car's a loser. I pushed hard for the Pathfinder but lost out. My wife keeps a stiff upper lip and says she likes it. I guess that's what counts in the end. I bet it's gone at the end of the lease.

Nice car, but needed major repair
By Donna Hodges

2015 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our RX 350 in September of 2015. We also have a 1999 Lexus RX 300 that we love. After owning the RX 350 for only 5 months we noticed an oil leak under the car. We took it to the dealer and it was an oil leak from the timing chain cover. Very disappointed with this. The dealer said it would take at least a week to repair it. We never had any major problems with our 1999 RX.

Smooth ride, But....
By E. Dec

2015 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first 'luxury car'. It's fun to drive & handles well. There are however a few disappointments...

1. Remote start turns engine off upon entering the car, even if you have the key with you. This seems like a time & fuel waste.

2. You can start the car, leave the key at home and drive as much and as far as you want to. While doing so, you will see the warning message "No key detected" on the instrument panel. I would prefer the car keep running with remote start as long as I have the key with me than having the ability to drive an already running car without a key. Very counterintuitive....

3. No backup camera gridlines. I envy my friends who paid much less for cars that have the camera grid.

4. Radio operations and presets. Its not easy to operate.