2004 Lexus RX 330 Consumer Review: Could be Better

2004 Lexus RX 330 - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Could be Better
By Dan from NY on

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a reliable, quiet vehicle that get fairly good mpg for an suv, but it is not a driver's car. Driver ergonomics and handling characteristics are disappointing. The driver's seat is not deep enough and does not have good thigh support; the pedals could be more vertical - I get tired after extended driving. The steering is too light and is easily influenced by every undulation on the road. The transmission refuses to downshift, especially when you're at 2200-2400 rpm and need to pass or merge. The engine revs up, but the tranny refuses to kick in - I've had to manually downshift to 3rd gear many times - wost tranny I've had. The verdict: I think Lexus designed this for my wife.

Roomy, quiet, smooth ride, reliable, fair mpg, power liftgate, roomy rear armrest storage bin, rear seat legroom, reclining rear seats.

Driver ergonomics, transmission, steering, instrument cluster lighting that makes you think your headlights are on, rear back-up lights need to point toward the ground, headlights don't illuminate as far down the road as I would like, compartment for cell phones, height-adjustable passenger seats.