Used 2004 Lexus RX 330 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 330 model:

"I'm Lovin it"!
By MaryR

2004 Lexus RX 330 SUV 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The RX330 has a very smooth ride and easy handling. It feels safe while driving on the express way because of the great visibility, holds the road and can change speed quickly. It also performs well around town. Not too big so it's easy to park and maneuver in traffic. It looks great! Very often find people checking it out when I return to the parking lot. Best decision I've made about a vehicle in a long time.

A solid SUV/vehicle
By Cailor

2004 Lexus RX 330 SUV 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Came from an Audi S4 Avant, and while not a sports vehicle, it does well while providing great space for driver+4 passengers while still getting great gas mileage for an SUV (I am getting approximately 22MPG with highway and city driving). The rear camera very helpful for otherwise difficult to view backwards. Drives like a car.

Favorite Features

NAV System, great space, good power for towing light sailboats (under 2000 lbs total w/trailer).

Suggested Improvements

Would like the low fuel LED to be more obvious (noise would be good), iPod/MP3 interface, better sound w/o CD changer. Tires will have to be replaced at around 31,000 miles (low profile) - would have been nice to have a warning before purchase (was very surprise), NAV system map updates.

CLUNK NOISE FOR 6 MONTHS
By R. A. Berlin

2004 Lexus RX 330 SUV 4dr Fwd SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

For the 1st 6 months, I kept hearing a clunking noise when slowing or stopping. The dealer heard the noise but did not have the equipment to repair. Passengers could hear the noise also. Finally Lexus sent the equipment to finally repair. This was very dissapointing for a $40,000 car. It was NOT the dealer's fault. FACTORY was at fault.

Suggested Improvements

Better back up lights. No light in car pocket.

Some major problems
By Karen

2004 Lexus RX 330 SUV 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

While I love driving my Lexus, I have had some major concerns with design problems and one significant safety issue with my rotors. Twice it was necessary to machine my rotors because of warpage from overheating and which caused significant and uncontrollable shaking of my steering wheel. Also, if only a rear window or sunroof window is opened, an intense vacuum is created in the interior which hurts my ears. I must open my driver's window to eliminate this vacuum -- very poor design! I have also had problems with my rear window spoiler weatherstripping, several scratches on the exterior finish, intermittent unworkable power rear door, and transmission surges and jerks from shifting.

Favorite Features

Style and luxury.

Suggested Improvements

Correct rotor and brake problems as this is safety issue. Improve exterior paint, replace cheap plastic exterior trim, correct interior vacuum problem, improve seat belt positioning as it creeps to my neck quickly, improve interior leather to eliminate rubbing noise of seat against seat.

A Great SUV
By gatorone

2004 Lexus RX 330 SUV 4dr Fwd SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We've owned this one since new. With 70,000 miles reliability has been excellent. We keep the car away from the dealers to insure only the maintenance requirements specified in the owners manual are performed. After the initial two free services by the Lexus dealer, the car has never needed to go back. I would say the interior quality of the prior Lexus RX300 is a little better. Performance is best using premium fuel with little to no acceleration hesitation as you get with regular fuel. The original stock tires (Goodyear) were poor for this level of car. Ride and driving are fine. Pressure gradiant when one window open that you feel with the ears. We managed 28 mpg on highway.

Favorite Features

Exterior style, reliability, comfort in driving, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Center consol design needs improvement. Electric seats move to slow.