2004 Lexus RX 330 Consumer Reviews 2

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
My Lexus
By Timothy

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr Fwd SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased this vehicle for her, and since I must drive it periodically I feel free to comment on it. I am somewhat disappointed with the performance and handling aspects of this vehicle, it handles almost as badly as my Isuzu and no where near as well as my Benz. The transmission and the parts cost are my single major complaints, as well as the service intervals, which for a vehicle of this so called caliber should be less frequent. The transmission really feels like an old Yugo with a stick, too much jerky and choppy. I would not purchase another Lexus until they could assure me that this and the maintenance intervals are more rational.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, maintenance intervals

Bad Model
By megan

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2004 Lexus because I drove the RX 300 and loved it. Yet this car has disappointed. The transmission lags horribly! Going from a stop, you press on the gas with no response and then a huge lurch forward. We took it into the dealer and explained the problem and they insisted nothing was wrong and it was "how they all run". Only to talk to them 4 years later and they admit that this car was underpowered. However, the styling, space, and comfort was exceptional.

Favorite Features

User friendly navigation, reclining rear seats, backup camera, power lift gate.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible transmission (we are waiting for them to put a v8 in), dashboard creaks, large dark space when headlights are on the road.

Could be Better
By Dan from NY

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a reliable, quiet vehicle that get fairly good mpg for an suv, but it is not a driver's car. Driver ergonomics and handling characteristics are disappointing. The driver's seat is not deep enough and does not have good thigh support; the pedals could be more vertical - I get tired after extended driving. The steering is too light and is easily influenced by every undulation on the road. The transmission refuses to downshift, especially when you're at 2200-2400 rpm and need to pass or merge. The engine revs up, but the tranny refuses to kick in - I've had to manually downshift to 3rd gear many times - wost tranny I've had. The verdict: I think Lexus designed this for my wife.

Favorite Features

Roomy, quiet, smooth ride, reliable, fair mpg, power liftgate, roomy rear armrest storage bin, rear seat legroom, reclining rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Driver ergonomics, transmission, steering, instrument cluster lighting that makes you think your headlights are on, rear back-up lights need to point toward the ground, headlights don't illuminate as far down the road as I would like, compartment for cell phones, height-adjustable passenger seats.

Great Ride!!
By jeremypool

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr Fwd SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle for 3 years with no problems! The rear camera works great and the ride is very nice. My only complaint would be its slight stall when accelerating other then that the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Comfort and height.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration.

Some major problems
By Karen

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

While I love driving my Lexus, I have had some major concerns with design problems and one significant safety issue with my rotors. Twice it was necessary to machine my rotors because of warpage from overheating and which caused significant and uncontrollable shaking of my steering wheel. Also, if only a rear window or sunroof window is opened, an intense vacuum is created in the interior which hurts my ears. I must open my driver's window to eliminate this vacuum -- very poor design! I have also had problems with my rear window spoiler weatherstripping, several scratches on the exterior finish, intermittent unworkable power rear door, and transmission surges and jerks from shifting.

Favorite Features

Style and luxury.

Suggested Improvements

Correct rotor and brake problems as this is safety issue. Improve exterior paint, replace cheap plastic exterior trim, correct interior vacuum problem, improve seat belt positioning as it creeps to my neck quickly, improve interior leather to eliminate rubbing noise of seat against seat.

Great Car
By F. Nobbee

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle, but my kids hate it, they don't have the space like they had in the LR3, but we don't use this as our family vehicle. It is a lot better on gas and I got this as a steal so it was hard to pass up especially with the unpredictable gas prices. Sporty look is great, a features are fine. I haven't taken it on a road trip yet but probably won't (I'll use the minivan). This car handles great and has a lot of features that are not standard in other vehicles. I bought this one used so let see how it stands up to the Lexus reputation of quality and endurance.

Favorite Features

Telescoping steering, supple leather seats, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Back window on tail gate should open separately, little more leg room and seating, seating space for back seat passengers could be improved.

Lexus RX is still the best forever
By suryanto santoso

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving my new Lexus RX since 2004 and feel very comfortable. A lovely car to drive, backup by reputable brand and have very good resale value. This luxury SUV is very appropriate for a long trip. Altough the fuel consumption a bit greedy, yet it can be compensated with its performance.

Good got Great
By Tom Monaghan

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr Fwd SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2000 RX 300 and thought that it was a great car. The only complaint was the poor turning radius. The RX 330 took care of that. The RX 330 is perfect for someone that likes to sit up a bit higher than in a sedan but does not want to sacrafice the ride. The sound system is as good as anyone short of an audiophile would ever want. The passangers in the back seat will find ample leg room and appreciate the ability to slightly recline the seats, especially on long trips. The Nav system is easy to use and very addicting. Only issue is limited view out of the rear window. I've been a fan/customer of Toyota and Lexus for many years. Never dissapointed with the quality of the car or service

Favorite Features

Navigation System, heated seats and the comfortable, quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better view out of the rear window. Cener the back up camera and include an indicator to measure distance to object being backed into.

RX 330
By Chito Jacinto

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr Fwd SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Exellent suv, ride like a luxury car, very quiet ride can't hear any wind draft even at high speed. Has an easy handling,responsive to turns.

Favorite Features

auto adjustable steering wheel,auto trunk lids, uses less octaine gas, doom lighting,best hallogen headlights, very clear visibility during night driving you could clearly see the road and that basically makes me safe everytime.

Suggested Improvements

steering raduis, has a very limited turn raduis, needs more horse power for a punch.Slight Muffler rattle after a long drive.

Love this SUV
By george

2004 Lexus RX 330 4dr AWD SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not the quietest or most powerful vehicle I have owned, but the overall package is great.

Favorite Features

Super smooth operation, very quiet engine, nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

A little to much road noise, mpg not as good as I would like.