Used 2002 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Luxury????
By TB07

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you noticed, the annual mileage portion of this review was left blank. I couldn't comment, as I have only had my RX for 6 months, 3 of which I've been dealing with nothing but problems. 20 days post-warranty, my short block of the engine needed replacement, as it was burning excessive oil. Lexus stood behind the motor, but left me with the $2500-3000 labor bill. Dealership was horrible-- referring to me as a person looking to get an extra buck anyway I can; telling me I didn't appreciate any of the work they had done; and my list could go on! Will never deal with Lexus or Bergstrom ever again!

Favorite Features

Looks nice, and smooth driving.

Suggested Improvements

Build an engine that lasts and stand behind your customers when the warranty has only been expired 20 days! Oh, and be careful of who is representing your name!

Great Vehicle for Every One
By George

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new in 2002 for my wife and she's loved it more than any other vehicle. It's easy to drive, very quiet, and comfortable to ride in; even long drives. Lexus did a great job on the fit and finish - it still looks almost new. We've owned it for 7 years and it still has the original battery and wipers on it. We've changed the tires only once. I would recommend it to anyone; except families of five or more - a bit small.

Favorite Features

Very easy to drive, comfortable, and awesome reliability - never a problem.

Suggested Improvements

Interior size needs to be larger and turn circle needs to be tighter.

Couldn't be Happier
By MobileDandA

2002 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my RX300 as a certified pre-owned vehicle with 36000 miles on it from a Lexus dealer. Finally, after 245,000 miles, it had it's FIRST breakdown. The transmission went out. So, instead of putting a lot of money into a vehicle with almost a quarter of a million miles on it, I purchased another 2002 RX300 exactly like the one I had except for the exterior color and it had about 190,000 fewer miles. Couldn't see buying anything else because you can't get the reliability and service you get from Lexus. I can't recommend this vehicle highly enough!

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Would love it if it got just a few more mpg. I average 21.8 mpg.

Died at 82,000
By S. Miller

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the RX 300 certified pre-owned with 42,000 miles. Loved the vehicle until it died at 82,000 miles. Temp gauge showed cold, but engine overheated and locked up on I-80 in Gary, IN. It was 2 weeks past the warranty. After a $200 tow charge, we were told the engine needed replaced for $10,500. Lexus gave us the engine, but it still cost $3,000 in labor. Lexus offered no explanation as to cause, and declined further help. The dealership was wonderful, however. We have also had chronic problems with dash lights. We thought Lexus was bulletproof. We won't buy another one.

Favorite Features

Very solid; rides nice.

Suggested Improvements

Auto locking doors; better fuel economy.

2nd Owner, Coach Pkg, ....Nice SUV!
By acarnutguy

2002 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased with 37k miles in June 2006. Nice, well built SUV with good room for 2 or 3, tight with 4 when traveling. Solid drive, wanders a bit on the highway at speeds. Very good cruiser at 75-80 mph. City gas mileage is 17-19 and highway at 75 is 21ish... should be better. Coach leather edition is a nice bonus! Lexus does a great job with fit, finish and wood trim.

Favorite Features

Nice cruiser at 75-80; great sound system w/ 6 disc changer; Coach leather; fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage; more power