2002 Lexus RX 300 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great buy no regrets
By wv

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our rx300 new in 2002 and loved it ever since. Absolutely no problems after 130k miles. Love to drive it, comfortable ride and extremely comfortable seats even after long trips. A definite Lexus/Toyota owner for life. Great job Lexus!!!

Favorite Features

comfortable seats and ride, nice looking interior, auto headlights, ride height

Suggested Improvements

Better rear air conditioning (perhaps unit just needs replacing after 130k miles?). Pretty much no complaints.

Best Used Car I Ever Owned
By FEdward

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my RX with 84K miles and a 100K warranty. Car was in spectacular condition and according to service records had been meticulously maintained. Dealership found a leaky rear axle seal under warranty, but had no other issues. The 90K maintenance was a bit pricey (timing belt, flushes, et. al.) but reasonable. A fuel modulator had to be replaced right after warranty expired for @ $700 parts & labor. Have not encountered the engine failures that others have reported. Fit, finish & features still solid at 115K and dealership has been just wonderful. Bought an '07 ES 350 two months ago and the trusty '02 RX has become our fun, weekender. This vehicle sold me on future Lexuses from now on!

Favorite Features

Vehicle Stability Control, ABS Traction and Snow Controls, Auto Lights & Dimming Mirrors, Premium Sound System, Instrument Layout and LED Info console, Visibility Superb. Had a 10 mph impact with no bumper damage whatsoever.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats should have been standard, as well as auto door locks and steering wheel stereo controls.

Couldn't be Happier
By MobileDandA

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my RX300 as a certified pre-owned vehicle with 36000 miles on it from a Lexus dealer. Finally, after 245,000 miles, it had it's FIRST breakdown. The transmission went out. So, instead of putting a lot of money into a vehicle with almost a quarter of a million miles on it, I purchased another 2002 RX300 exactly like the one I had except for the exterior color and it had about 190,000 fewer miles. Couldn't see buying anything else because you can't get the reliability and service you get from Lexus. I can't recommend this vehicle highly enough!

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Would love it if it got just a few more mpg. I average 21.8 mpg.

2nd Owner, Coach Pkg, ....Nice SUV!
By acarnutguy

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased with 37k miles in June 2006. Nice, well built SUV with good room for 2 or 3, tight with 4 when traveling. Solid drive, wanders a bit on the highway at speeds. Very good cruiser at 75-80 mph. City gas mileage is 17-19 and highway at 75 is 21ish... should be better. Coach leather edition is a nice bonus! Lexus does a great job with fit, finish and wood trim.

Favorite Features

Nice cruiser at 75-80; great sound system w/ 6 disc changer; Coach leather; fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage; more power

Absolutely Great Car
By atlanta

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has not given me one single problem. I do have it maintained according to schedule and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Love the smooth ride and zero mechanical problems.

Best Car
By Charles, Georgia

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 42K miles on it and have had it a year and a half. I also traded a Lexus ES 300 in on it b/c I wanted a SUV. Lexus is by far the best car on the road. I'll never drive anything else.

Favorite Features

Sporty feel while having the room of an SUV. Comfort and feel, safety, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, radio controls on the steering wheel which I know they have done on the new models.

Ten cars later, the best ever
By Michelle,Texas

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had 10 cars, and I said the very next one I get would be a Lexus. After much independent study and comparisons. I finally got it. This car is absolutely awesome. Find an authorized mechanic shop that works on high end luxury cars and keep it maintained (as with any car). I see years of comfort and happiness, my daughter expects to get this car, when I upgrade. I never want to drive another car.

Favorite Features

Butter leather seats, wonderful surround sound, smooth ride, adjustable rear seating.

Suggested Improvements

We are a tall family so the part by the knee on the driver's side is a little uncomfortable.

2002 RX 300
By Hall

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive, sell and study all types of vehicles. We recently bought a 2002, 4 year old RX 300, with 44k miles. It is excellent in every way. My wife loves the "fit", not too large, and not too small. The instrument panel, the mileage, the ride, and the overall performance is excellent. We are leaving next week for a 2000 mile road trip, and look forward to going in the RX 300.

Performance, Comfort and Reliability
By Jose R. Nevarez

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far this vehicle has given us great service with no mechanical problems at all. It's quite comfortable, great for long family trips, excellent power and lots of features. Services at the dealer were a rip-off though. Trying to push services like changing wipers that were perfectly fine with the oil change. If you didn't take those services, they gave you a little attitude. I was able to find a certified mechanic that specializes in Acura and Lexus that was able to service it for about 1/2 the price of what the dealer charges by concentrating on things that really need servicing. I guess he doesn't have the overhead of the dealer.

Favorite Features

Adequate power, solid construction, great stereo system, excellent reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, better steering ratio.

Love Lexus
By SandiR

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Lexus. Has been the best vehicle I have owned. Was hit in the drivers side front corner by someone running a red light one year ago. I remember the firemen and EMT's telling us we walked away only because it was a Lexus. Lenghty repairs(10 wks) but have not encountered any problems afterwards. Because of the accident, I learned many things about it's construction and safety features, especially the airbags. Mine did not deploy but later found out they were not suppose to because of the location of impact. Negotiated price $33,000

Favorite Features

I love the fuel economy, better then the sticker (21/city, 32/Hwy). Excellent ride; information screen Luxury, Luxury

Suggested Improvements

Reduce turning radius. Air conditioning needs improvement. The rear seat can get warm with just one vent in the middle. I've also had 2 visits to service for an intermittent problem with the air that has yet to be diagnosed/fixed.