Used 2002 Lexus RX 300 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Great buy no regrets
By wv

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our rx300 new in 2002 and loved it ever since. Absolutely no problems after 130k miles. Love to drive it, comfortable ride and extremely comfortable seats even after long trips. A definite Lexus/Toyota owner for life. Great job Lexus!!!

Favorite Features

comfortable seats and ride, nice looking interior, auto headlights, ride height

Suggested Improvements

Better rear air conditioning (perhaps unit just needs replacing after 130k miles?). Pretty much no complaints.

Best Used Car I Ever Owned
By FEdward

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my RX with 84K miles and a 100K warranty. Car was in spectacular condition and according to service records had been meticulously maintained. Dealership found a leaky rear axle seal under warranty, but had no other issues. The 90K maintenance was a bit pricey (timing belt, flushes, et. al.) but reasonable. A fuel modulator had to be replaced right after warranty expired for @ $700 parts & labor. Have not encountered the engine failures that others have reported. Fit, finish & features still solid at 115K and dealership has been just wonderful. Bought an '07 ES 350 two months ago and the trusty '02 RX has become our fun, weekender. This vehicle sold me on future Lexuses from now on!

Favorite Features

Vehicle Stability Control, ABS Traction and Snow Controls, Auto Lights & Dimming Mirrors, Premium Sound System, Instrument Layout and LED Info console, Visibility Superb. Had a 10 mph impact with no bumper damage whatsoever.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats should have been standard, as well as auto door locks and steering wheel stereo controls.

Couldn't be Happier
By MobileDandA

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my RX300 as a certified pre-owned vehicle with 36000 miles on it from a Lexus dealer. Finally, after 245,000 miles, it had it's FIRST breakdown. The transmission went out. So, instead of putting a lot of money into a vehicle with almost a quarter of a million miles on it, I purchased another 2002 RX300 exactly like the one I had except for the exterior color and it had about 190,000 fewer miles. Couldn't see buying anything else because you can't get the reliability and service you get from Lexus. I can't recommend this vehicle highly enough!

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Would love it if it got just a few more mpg. I average 21.8 mpg.

2nd Owner, Coach Pkg, ....Nice SUV!
By acarnutguy

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased with 37k miles in June 2006. Nice, well built SUV with good room for 2 or 3, tight with 4 when traveling. Solid drive, wanders a bit on the highway at speeds. Very good cruiser at 75-80 mph. City gas mileage is 17-19 and highway at 75 is 21ish... should be better. Coach leather edition is a nice bonus! Lexus does a great job with fit, finish and wood trim.

Favorite Features

Nice cruiser at 75-80; great sound system w/ 6 disc changer; Coach leather; fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage; more power

Absolutely Great Car
By atlanta

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has not given me one single problem. I do have it maintained according to schedule and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Love the smooth ride and zero mechanical problems.