Used 2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

google engine sludge rx300
By Paul W Miller

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought as fifth owner with 136K miles. Perhaps a risky move but the engine crapped out on the first 300 trip. After looking at the horror stories I'd never consider a RX300 again unless the previous owner maintenance could be verified beyond a shadow of a doubt, too risky.

Favorite Features

When it runs.

Suggested Improvements

Engine

lEXUS RX300 REVIEW AFTER 10 YEARS
By nahash

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Hi, I have this car for 10 years now with 220k In general it was a great car very comfi to drive. It had few small problems but 2 problems that I want to share with all potential owners. One is with the anti lock brake sensors. During the 10 years had to change 2 anti lock sensors. 1000$ cost for each.Lexus built the antilock sensor into the drive shafts so there are 4 sensors in this car as it is a 4 wheel drive ( 4 shafts). In order to change the sensor the shaft must be replaced with a cost close to 1000$. Other issue is the timing belt. This model has a timing belt that must be changed around the 180k with a cost to the customer of close to 1000$. so be aware this is what you will face

Favorite Features

Driving position, visibility, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Change to timing chain, improve the Anti Lock sensors so they will not fail so often and that it will be easy to change without changing the whole shaft !!

The Greatest Car I Have Ever Owned
By drewlane84

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the greatest car I have ever owned. I bought the car certified pre-owned in 2005 and I am absolutely impressed with the quality. After observing my father's current Toyota Prius, which has all of the trims, my Lexus feels luxurious and opulent compared to the hard leather in his car. Every time I turn the key, I do not have to worry about whether the car will start. (I still don't know what the check engine light looks like, and the car is 10 years old.) The only problem is the antenna. It just...stops working. I've put three on the car, but Lexus paid for them all in full. This car is better than most new cars and can still outperform them. It's a great college-kid car, hands-down.

Favorite Features

Automatic headlights, almost too-reliable, the automaker is easy to work with and accommodating, premium leather seats, woodgrain is tough, simple yet classy interior, plenty of cupholders, Toyota cruise control (the best), a ton of cargo space, Lexus's "Home Link" feature to open a garage door is very handy and well placed, the windows of the car provide a view without a blind spot.

Suggested Improvements

Space between the seat and the center console allows items (like phones....) to fall and get stuck very easily, ashtray compartment pops open when opening the console, no steering wheel controls for the radio/CD player, the steering wheel is not telescopic.

This car saved my life
By asimkhan0620

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If there was a higher rating for build quality and reliability besides excellent, this car would get it. As a senior in high school my parents allowed me to drive this car to school and back. However, one day coming back home i was stopped in a construction zone. A car going around 60 mph apparently did not realize that i was stopped in front and nailed my back bumper. I felt the impact but the car beautifully absorbed the blow. I was so grateful i was driving a truck, a high quality lexus truck, as the accident could have been a lot worse. as the accident could have been a lot worse.

Favorite Features

The seats and interior were very comfortable and spacious.

Suggested Improvements

the turning radius was small and parking was the only problem with this car.

Love my Lexus!
By Janet S

2002 Lexus RX 300 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best car I have ever owned. Nothing but regular maintenance since purchase 8 years ago. The only negative about this car is the poor turning radius but everything else from styling and comfort to driving experience and reliability is awesome. Love it!