2002 Lexus RX 300 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:
lEXUS RX300 REVIEW AFTER 10 YEARS
By nahash on 02/07/13 06:49 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Hi, I have this car for 10 years now with 220k In general it was a great car very comfi to drive. It had few small problems but 2 problems that I want to share with all potential owners. One is with the anti lock brake sensors. During the 10 years had to change 2 anti lock sensors. 1000$ cost for each.Lexus built the antilock sensor into the drive shafts so there are 4 sensors in this car as it is a 4 wheel drive ( 4 shafts). In order to change the sensor the shaft must be replaced with a cost close to 1000$. Other issue is the timing belt. This model has a timing belt that must be changed around the 180k with a cost to the customer of close to 1000$. so be aware this is what you will face

The Greatest Car I Have Ever Owned
By drewlane84 on 10/26/12 09:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the greatest car I have ever owned. I bought the car certified pre-owned in 2005 and I am absolutely impressed with the quality. After observing my father's current Toyota Prius, which has all of the trims, my Lexus feels luxurious and opulent compared to the hard leather in his car. Every time I turn the key, I do not have to worry about whether the car will start. (I still don't know what the check engine light looks like, and the car is 10 years old.) The only problem is the antenna. It just...stops working. I've put three on the car, but Lexus paid for them all in full. This car is better than most new cars and can still outperform them. It's a great college-kid car, hands-down.

This car saved my life
By asimkhan0620 on 01/05/11 21:05 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If there was a higher rating for build quality and reliability besides excellent, this car would get it. As a senior in high school my parents allowed me to drive this car to school and back. However, one day coming back home i was stopped in a construction zone. A car going around 60 mph apparently did not realize that i was stopped in front and nailed my back bumper. I felt the impact but the car beautifully absorbed the blow. I was so grateful i was driving a truck, a high quality lexus truck, as the accident could have been a lot worse. as the accident could have been a lot worse.

Love my Lexus!
By Janet S on 06/08/10 21:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best car I have ever owned. Nothing but regular maintenance since purchase 8 years ago. The only negative about this car is the poor turning radius but everything else from styling and comfort to driving experience and reliability is awesome. Love it!

like a tank
By Charles R. Williams on 04/25/10 12:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle rides like a tank. My wife likes this. I don't. She is very happy with the car. She feels safe and the seats are good for her sore back. I don't complain but I do find it top- heavy and unresponsive. Do yourself a favor and put on the best tires money can buy, get them rotated regularly and have the alignment checked. We get 19 mpg on a mix of city and highway driving. At 80000, it's been reliable. I shudder to think what a serious repair would cost. For this reason alone, I am agreeable to trading it in on a certified pre-owned RX330.

Best SUV
By SUSAN on 01/28/10 10:26 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this SUV for 9 years now and the only problem I have had is that in cold weather the fan belt sometimes squeals. A little grease eliminates the problem. I do regular oil changes every 5000 miles (use Mobil 1), and that's about it.

trans failure
By Mike J on 01/25/10 09:49 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Trans failed at 87000mi.(out of warranty) Had dealer replace trans ocos $4000. Maintenance schedule does not suggest or state to "service trans" by replacing trans oil/filter. Just states to check fluid level. Will not purchase Lexus or Toyota againg.

Great buy no regrets
By wv on 08/15/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our rx300 new in 2002 and loved it ever since. Absolutely no problems after 130k miles. Love to drive it, comfortable ride and extremely comfortable seats even after long trips. A definite Lexus/Toyota owner for life. Great job Lexus!!!

Best Used Car I Ever Owned
By FEdward on 05/11/09 11:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my RX with 84K miles and a 100K warranty. Car was in spectacular condition and according to service records had been meticulously maintained. Dealership found a leaky rear axle seal under warranty, but had no other issues. The 90K maintenance was a bit pricey (timing belt, flushes, et. al.) but reasonable. A fuel modulator had to be replaced right after warranty expired for @ $700 parts & labor. Have not encountered the engine failures that others have reported. Fit, finish & features still solid at 115K and dealership has been just wonderful. Bought an '07 ES 350 two months ago and the trusty '02 RX has become our fun, weekender. This vehicle sold me on future Lexuses from now on!

Luxury????
By TB07 on 03/01/09 14:40 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus RX 300 AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you noticed, the annual mileage portion of this review was left blank. I couldn't comment, as I have only had my RX for 6 months, 3 of which I've been dealing with nothing but problems. 20 days post-warranty, my short block of the engine needed replacement, as it was burning excessive oil. Lexus stood behind the motor, but left me with the $2500-3000 labor bill. Dealership was horrible-- referring to me as a person looking to get an extra buck anyway I can; telling me I didn't appreciate any of the work they had done; and my list could go on! Will never deal with Lexus or Bergstrom ever again!