Used 2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

A Reliable SUV That Could Have Been
By UKFan4Sure!

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wow! That was my first impression driving this beauty after having two Jeep Grand Cherokees before this. It is smooth and quiet with seamless acceleration that seems adequate but not stellar. Its body lines are magnificent and its interior is well appointed and very well crafted. It has 94K miles on it now and if I didn't tell you that, I could fool you into believing it had 20K. No joke. It does have some unexcusable shortcomings, though. Something you don't expect out of Toyota. I will list those below.

Stereo is great! Roomy inside. I like the big mirrors and the triangular vent windows. The visibility is very good throughout the car. It rides like a car, not an SUV. Nice. I like the easy to clean wheels with common tire size. Reclining/sliding rear seats. Wife likes the tray for her purse.

Distance to empty on computer (do I REALLY need instant gas mileage or average speed? Who cares!). Displays are different colors. Why? No liftglass on tailgate. No steering wheel radio controls. Cupholders are a joke. Only a 2-way passenger power seat. Armrest is too high. Remote entry range is short

Favorite car I've ever owned !!!
By connie sandlin

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Getting ready to let go of my Lexus 2001 RX 300 - I must say it has my favorite car that I have ever owned. It has been fun to drive, comfortable and most importantly, dependable!! Getting quite a few miles on the car so I felt it's time to move on. I have just purchased the new 2008 RX 350 to replace my previous 2001. Because I enjoyed my first Lexus SUV so much I decided to go ahead and get another!

Smooth ride and comfortable seats - could get a lot into the back part of the car when you needed to by putting the seats down.

A little better gas mileage, but right now everyone is wishing that! The comfort and dependability outweighed the mileage.

Cool RX3 00
By gq008

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought My 2001 RX 300 used in Sept 005. I test drove a new Murano, used X5, MDX, Highlander and a bunch of domestic SUVs. None of them rode as smooth and quiet as the RX. The good thing about the RX is that it only requires 87 or above octane. However, my best mileage has been 19 mpg. I average about 17 mpg. But I have a very heavy foot. I disliked the two tone of my RX. So I painted the models to match the paint on the body. The Silversport or Coach edition alleviates this problem but are very rare to find in the AWD. And I test drove the silversport and the b/c of the sport suspension the ride was not at all smooth. However, My RX will be replaced with another RX if and when I decide to get rid of this one.

It only requires 87 or above octane. The leather in the RX is very soft and plush without feeling mushy. I love the shape and size of the RX - not too big, not too small.

Outstanding vehicle
By Mike

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love it. I can never go back to any of the vehicles I had before. It's a dream to drive.

All-Wheel Drive. Electrochromic mirrors. Vehicle skid control. Brake Assist. Heated seats. Dynamite stereo. Great looking and functional glass with UV protection. All leather interior (in mine, anyway). Automatically adjusting seats with memory.

Prefer the DVD cartridges weren't in the glove box, but this has already been changed with newer models.

Lexus Automobiles Forever
By Bill

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I personally have owned over 10 new cars over the years, and I, without hesitation, say that the Lexus, especially the SUVs, are the most dependable, beautifully designed automobile throughout the industry. The ride, comfort, gas mileage, and convenience, make this car the best... nothing more... only the best of the best. I own a 2001 RX 300, bought by me brand new, and I must admit it rides just as great today as when I first drove it out of the showroom I sincerely advise those who have not experienced its ride and everything else I have mentioned, please do it and take a test drive. I believe once you do, you will be hooked on nothing else. I happen to favor its SUVs.

My favorite features are: the ride, comfort, agility, the quietness of its engine and body parts, braking system, adequate pick-up speed, flip-down rear seats and quietness when riding with rear seats down. It's like "riding on air". Experience it just once, and you will eventually own one.

I must say, I was hard-pressed to find any improvements needed except this one: It's turning radius is inadequate but this is not a "big thing" to me especially when everything else is superior. Although I own a 2001 RX 300, I do like the lines better on the RX 330. Return the red exterior.