Used 2001 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Unmatched Quality and Reliabililty
By Bison72

2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This by far is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Oil changes, tires and brakes only. The style, quiet ride and care-free maintenance has converted me to a Lexus fan for life! I keep wanting to buy a newer Lexus model but cannot justify getting rid of this SUV when it still runs and looks like new. My friends are shocked when they learn it is 8 years old and approaching 90k miles.

Unbelievable reliability, outstanding design inside and out, very quiet ride for a SUV.

Turning radius is very poor and was fixed on subsequent models, cup-holders are horrible, center console gets in the way of driver's right knee.

Horrible engines, do not buy!
By winburnj

2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

All I can say is do your homework! Just after I rolled over 100,00 miles my engine threw a rod and now I am getting another engine put in. I ran a full synthetic oil for 22000 miles and did not think that Lexus would have problems like this with this mileage. All I can say is before you buy do your research on Lexus oil gel/sludge.

Great for snowy climates, comfortable on long trips.

Other than better motors and gas mileage everything else seems to be in order. Looks like the motor problem has been fixed but would not recommend buying anything before 2003.

Will not buy another RX
By DROBB

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our RX used, with very low mileage. After having owned 5 trouble free Toyotas, we were shocked when the transmission of our well maintained RX failed at 80K miles. It was an expensive and very time consuming repair, as the parts were very hard to locate. We still are not happy with how the transmission hunts for a gear at lower speeds. Cargo space is terrible, interior is a bit cramped and not all that comfortable and the center console and cup holders are poorly designed and flimsy.Turning radius is bad and acceleration could be a lot better. No more RXs for us. EVER!

Exterior styling

Improve or redesign transmissions, get rid of flimsy center console and cup holders!

2 RX 300s, 2 Good Experiences
By Southeatern Owns 2

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 99 RX 300 in 2005 for my college daughter. Early in 2008, after 3 years of excellent service and tremendous utility and service from that vehicle, I purchased a 2001 silver one for myself. Both had just under 100K miles when purchased, both perform better than most new vehicles. If you are looking for excellent service, a used Lexus is a good bet. Repairs are rare, maintenance costs are very reasonable, and the cost to operate are low for the level of service, reliability, and safety delivered. Regular gas is a plus, mileage on these vehicles is around 21-22 combined. Solid vehicle.

Amazing cargo and passenger capacity for size of the vehicle. Very comfortable for 4 super-sized adults of 5 average-sized. Smooth cruiser at 80 mph.

One or two model updates already - no need to suggest improvements at this time.

Perfect SUV. Well, Almost...
By BryanD

2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for almost a year now, long enough to know its good and bad points. Overall a great SUV with quite capable handling and performance. A few quirks mentioned below.

Quiet, silky, ride. Very roomy in back. Like the reclining rear seats. Ample performance and handling. Instruments are clear and intuitive. Good MPG for an SUV (23 on hwy). VERY well built!

No power adjustments for the passenger seat bottom (on a $40K car?!). Turning radius is horribly large. Cupholders do not hold cups well. No "distance to empty" reading, but an "instant MPG"? Who cares about "instant MPG"? Windows "full down" feature too sensitive and easily activated.

• SUV