2001 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Review: Toyota Quality Gone Astray

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV - Consumer Review

Toyota Quality Gone Astray
By ukfan4sure! on

2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very nice riding vehicle. For the most part reliable, but when it hits you, it hits you hard. Every since I have owned this vehicle, it has stumbled, sputtered, and fell on it's face at random times of it's own choosing. I have had it into the shop many times and most of the time they replace the components most likely to cause the problem based on the "codes" it throws. No fix. Ever. It is so unreliable, my wife says NEVER AGAIN will we buy Lexus. NOW, we find out that the transmission is going out (with regular maintenance given) and this is just the last straw. It's gonna cost us $4 grand to fix. Wow. Now I'm even saying NEVER AGAIN. What a shame for such a nice vehicle.

Power, quiet ride, well built trim and fit and finish. Very comfortable rear seats (not so with the passenger front seats; no power adjustments).

Turn radius is horrible; almost a joke. Transmissions on the AWD are a known problem and had now bitten us, even with regular maintenance. Toyota should be ashamed. It really doesn't matter how they improve it as far as I'm concerned; I'm never buying another one anyhow.
By padanny
on 01/10/11 20:31 PM (PST)

I know how you feel. good luck with that. I'm looking for an engine for a 2001 lexus rx300 Base engine size: 3.0 L Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC) Cylinders: V6 Valves: 24 Valve timing: Variable Torque: 222 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm Horsepower: 220 hp @ 5800 rpm Turning circle: 41.3 ft. If anyone knows of one please post.