2001 Lexus RX 300 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:
great vehicle
By n8webb on 06/13/12 09:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

bought this used, and we couldn't have been more lucky with a vehicle. great on gas, safe, quiet, dependable.

milage reliability
By pbuehler on 04/06/12 23:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

the first 120000 were smooth trouble free getting 18mpg town/25mpg road. went to bridgestone tires and rides like a limo. leather seats are thin but comfortable. at 125000 2 fuel injectors worn out $700. at 135000 smog canister failure light $700. now, front passenger seat air bag system warning lights. cost ? as it is going to someone else.

Transmission break down.
By saimatha on 05/25/11 06:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 115000 miles. The transmission had failed on the freeway. Cost to have it fixed with a remanufactured transmission from same dealer is $3400. Surprized to find this failure at 115000 miles. did not have this problem with US cars even with mileage more than 150000. Are we blind sighted to the quality of Lexus? This dos not complain about the failing door locks and engine light on etc.

Big problems at 89,000 but loved my little RX300
By milomadison on 01/29/11 12:47 PM (PST)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this car and miss it but it wasn't worth the problems we ended up having at only 87,000 miles. Especially after paying what we did. Transmission issues a known problem I see now. We bought it used in 2005 with only 41k miles on it from a Lexus dealer in CA and it was certified (which means nothing). We loved it until this year, the transmission went out, which Lexus agreed to put in a refurbished tranny and we had to pay the labor $1500.00. Then the battery went and then we started having lights go on, the traction control light would not go off, then the driver window would get stuck! You would think a higher end car would be built better!

Just loving the car
By houstonian on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased an extended warranty too but never used. Just did a valve cover gasket change. But over all just love the car. Had no major problems. Has about 90k miles. If you keep the car maintain it will help a lot

bad bad car
By plipps on 01/12/10 15:32 PM (PST)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my car drove it for less then two years, I replaced the transmission in it 3 times and right now it this very moment I need another transmission I paid out more for transmissions than the car cost me. I loved the car that is why I tried to keep it but it put me in the poor house, shame on Lexus

2001 Lexus RX 300
By Art on 08/07/09 04:32 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is the most reliable car that I've ever owned. It has handsome styling (which is why Lexus has not changed it much over the past 10 years) and gets great gas mileage. I get 20 in town and 25 on the highway. It's reliability is unsurpassed. It handles well and has all the space one would need for hobbies, kids, etc. We purchased it new and still enjoy driving it. We will buy another new one soon - but we are keeping the 2001. We will probably hand it down to our grandchildren.

Will not buy another RX
By DROBB on 11/14/08 16:35 PM (PST)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our RX used, with very low mileage. After having owned 5 trouble free Toyotas, we were shocked when the transmission of our well maintained RX failed at 80K miles. It was an expensive and very time consuming repair, as the parts were very hard to locate. We still are not happy with how the transmission hunts for a gear at lower speeds. Cargo space is terrible, interior is a bit cramped and not all that comfortable and the center console and cup holders are poorly designed and flimsy.Turning radius is bad and acceleration could be a lot better. No more RXs for us. EVER!

2 RX 300s, 2 Good Experiences
By Southeatern Owns 2 on 08/30/08 19:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 99 RX 300 in 2005 for my college daughter. Early in 2008, after 3 years of excellent service and tremendous utility and service from that vehicle, I purchased a 2001 silver one for myself. Both had just under 100K miles when purchased, both perform better than most new vehicles. If you are looking for excellent service, a used Lexus is a good bet. Repairs are rare, maintenance costs are very reasonable, and the cost to operate are low for the level of service, reliability, and safety delivered. Regular gas is a plus, mileage on these vehicles is around 21-22 combined. Solid vehicle.

Good deal
By pabuehl on 01/10/08 18:31 PM (PST)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this new and in 90000 had no problems at all. Very comfortable on short/long trips and milage 18 town/25 road. Everything works just like the first day and I really look for problems so I can fix them before they become big and just do scheduled maintenance/no surprises.