2001 Lexus RX 300 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:
160,000 and still going strong
By tstutz on 03/22/13 15:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used with 120k miles. Aside from oil changes and new tires, I've only had to replace the belts. I've put 40k miles on it over the past 2 years. If you jumped in and drove the vehicle without looking at the odometer, you'd never know it had 160k miles. The ride is still comfortable and the engine runs strong. My Lexus has been good to me so far.

2001 Lexus RX300
By karamzin on 09/04/12 20:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Lexus RX300 almost two years ago with 89K, now it has 98K and I love this car. It's a laxuary car with a lot of options. Also, mine has it's factory navigation system, so I just changed the disc to 2011 and I'm happy. All I have to say it's a perfect family car especially in a winter time when it snows.

great vehicle
By n8webb on 06/13/12 09:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

bought this used, and we couldn't have been more lucky with a vehicle. great on gas, safe, quiet, dependable.

milage reliability
By pbuehler on 04/06/12 23:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

the first 120000 were smooth trouble free getting 18mpg town/25mpg road. went to bridgestone tires and rides like a limo. leather seats are thin but comfortable. at 125000 2 fuel injectors worn out $700. at 135000 smog canister failure light $700. now, front passenger seat air bag system warning lights. cost ? as it is going to someone else.

Transmission break down.
By saimatha on 05/25/11 06:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 115000 miles. The transmission had failed on the freeway. Cost to have it fixed with a remanufactured transmission from same dealer is $3400. Surprized to find this failure at 115000 miles. did not have this problem with US cars even with mileage more than 150000. Are we blind sighted to the quality of Lexus? This dos not complain about the failing door locks and engine light on etc.

Big problems at 89,000 but loved my little RX300
By milomadison on 01/29/11 12:47 PM (PST)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this car and miss it but it wasn't worth the problems we ended up having at only 87,000 miles. Especially after paying what we did. Transmission issues a known problem I see now. We bought it used in 2005 with only 41k miles on it from a Lexus dealer in CA and it was certified (which means nothing). We loved it until this year, the transmission went out, which Lexus agreed to put in a refurbished tranny and we had to pay the labor $1500.00. Then the battery went and then we started having lights go on, the traction control light would not go off, then the driver window would get stuck! You would think a higher end car would be built better!

Toyota Quality Gone Astray
By ukfan4sure! on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very nice riding vehicle. For the most part reliable, but when it hits you, it hits you hard. Every since I have owned this vehicle, it has stumbled, sputtered, and fell on it's face at random times of it's own choosing. I have had it into the shop many times and most of the time they replace the components most likely to cause the problem based on the "codes" it throws. No fix. Ever. It is so unreliable, my wife says NEVER AGAIN will we buy Lexus. NOW, we find out that the transmission is going out (with regular maintenance given) and this is just the last straw. It's gonna cost us $4 grand to fix. Wow. Now I'm even saying NEVER AGAIN. What a shame for such a nice vehicle.

Just loving the car
By houstonian on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased an extended warranty too but never used. Just did a valve cover gasket change. But over all just love the car. Had no major problems. Has about 90k miles. If you keep the car maintain it will help a lot

RX300 2001 Problems Transmissions
By Berny on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Gentlemen, 2001 RX 300 has a company defect. The transmissions are failing; I have replace the transmission twice so far at 120,000 miles. I believe this to be a factory problem with the entire model for several years 1999 through 2002. I wish Lexus would step up to the plate and fix these vehicle's transmissions. $2500 to $6,000 EACH REPAIR!

Sludge engine car- do not own
By bob305 on 06/20/10 07:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Forget what you think about Lexus and Toyotas quality, the 3.0 L engine in this vehicle has a KNOWN defect that Toyota/Lexus has been ducking for years. My car blew an engine despite proper oil changes and care. Problems generally occurs after 100,000 miles after warranty. Toyota settled a class action lawsuit on this and essentially paid lawyers millions so they can duck the problem. Google "Sludge Engine" but be aware you have a time bomb on your hands.