Used 2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Transmission went at 78000
By inetd

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

Transmission went at 78000. Warranty is 70k/7yrs, and Lexus sticks to those numbers. This is a low-end basic Toyota transmission that Lexus loaded up with weight and gadgets. We know lots of people that have had 2x transmissions by 100k miles, some with 3x transmissions. It's the car's weak point for sure. Engine has had class action lawsuit for sludge/failure. Dealers still deny there's a problem - they're told to be quiet about it. Transmission class action is next. 2WD reliability is poor, 4WD reliability is abysmal

Favorite Features

It's really just a basic car. "Lexus Reliability" is a myth, it's just a car. Car is a good deal if trans has just been replaced w/a new warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Less marketing hype about reliability and more effort into the actual engineering of that reliability. This car is just a spiffy Highlander.

Quality Vehicle
By Chicago

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

We bought ours used with 78K miles in 2005. We were taking our chances with Toyota quality and we are glad we did. The car has no problems till this day with 110K. We have promptly serviced our car with timing belt replacement, new tires, new brakes, and new alternator over three years and it is still running strong. We'll probably keep it another year or two.

Favorite Features

Ride - better than Cadillac. The paint still shines - no dull spots.

Suggested Improvements

Moot point at this point - the car is 8 years old. Lexus has made many improvements.

Phenomenal Vehicle
By Duncan

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I've had my RX for over 4 years, and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. I normally get bored with cars, and only keep them for a maximum of 3 years... this one I will likely be buried in. Drives amazingly, at 110k miles, no high cost repairs, extremely reliable, and comfortable! I love it as much as I did the day I bought it.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, comfort, temperature controls.

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely none.

LuvMyRX!!!
By LuvMyRX

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

I've had this car for 3 years now. I purchased it certified pre-owned from the dealership and I still love it. All my friends want to drive my car. No one believes me when I tell them it's a 2000 vehicle. Handles great with very comfortable seats. The cargo space is great. The back seats fold down easily and the only problem is that it's so roomy, it can't always take all the weight for home improvement projects!

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seating - fits 5 adults or 4 adults and a car seat comfortably. Excellent ride on most road surfaces. I have become spoiled!!!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage although the 19 and 29 is not too terrible for an SUV. With gas prices at $4/gallon, who doesn't want better gas mileage?

2000 Lexus RX 300 4WD
By Tim

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Not too impressed by this car. Has lots of problems. Sensors go all the time, the ignition coils go a lot and they cost $95 a piece (6 of them will cost you close to $600 not including labor costs), if the check engine light comes on (which comes on all the time) the car will usually not shift into overdrive, the back spark plugs are almost impossible to change because the manifold is in the way and many many more. I thought Toyotas were reliable but I was wrong. I won't buy a Lexus or Toyota again.

Favorite Features

Looks good, thats about it.

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list.