Used 2000 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Worst car I've ever owned
By Tom Michalek

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

The Lexus brand is by far the greatest rip off in American history. The transmission failed at 100K, and the car has more sensors than any car I know. We have spent over $7,00o in repair fees on this car. I can not believe the reputation gets in the media. They give the Japanese car companies a bad name. Beware.

Worst Car Ever Purchased.
By Upset with Lexus

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car for reliability and have put so much money into repairs on this car that I've exceeded the value of the car. At 110,000 miles the transmission went out! (I thought Lexus built quality) I have had to replace 4 oxygen censors at the tune of $450 each. The engine now leaks oil. Just got new oxygen sensor last week & various other repairs ($800) today the check engine light came on again!! I am so disappointed in Lexus. I contacted them about the transmission problem which 1000's of people are having and received nothing! I thought when I bought Lexus I was buying a great car that would last forever!! NOT!! U need to trade this car at 80000.

Favorite Features

I like the look of the car, the interior, but just don't like all the problems I've had with it!!

Suggested Improvements

A transmission that lasts, a motor that doesn't leak & oxygen sensors that work for a while!!

The First 200k Miles...
By jonesiam

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased it pre-owned for an individual and it has been excellent with only a couple of small problems. I am at almost 200 thousand miles and it still drives great. Aside from regular service, I've only had to replace a rear wheel bearing and washer fluid pump. Both together were less than $600 which is not bad for a nine year old car. I did make the mistake of trying to upgrade the spark plugs to Bosh IR's which burned 3 coil packs before I went back to the original Toyota plugs. So I would suggest to stay "factory" when it comes to tune-ups.

Favorite Features

Love the premium Nakamichi sound system - adjustable back seat for taller passengers and highway ride - it is an excellent driving car.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not the greatest - I'm averaging 18 city and 21 on the highway. It's more luxury than performance and I would like to have both.

Great RX
By GreatRX

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my 2000 RX in 2003 used with 40K miles, have driven it another 100K without issue. I have not been able to find something that I like as much to replace it. Gas mileage averages 19 normal with up to 23 on the highway. Best car I have ever had!

Favorite Features

Everything, from the fold in mirrors to the cargo cover, leather, tinted windows, AWD with snow capability. Exceptionally good personal car. We have used it for a dozen cross country trips, its quiet and exceptionally good to drive.

Suggested Improvements

CD changer in glove compartment is difficult. I added a Garmin, would have liked a navigation system. Rear seating is certainly not premium, more like a covered board.

Still going strong
By Allan

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

In past 18 months have put over 50k miles on car, now at 135k and going strong. Only normal maintenance, nothing more. Still rides, runs and stops as well as it did new. I've heard about transmission probs, but none for me (hoping the towing package helps w/ that). Strong metal used, just picked up first door dings this year - and took a good wallop at that. I keep looking at new cars, but just can't justify it when this one runs so well and looks so good.

Favorite Features

Standard stereo still one of the best I ever heard in a car. Car rides exceedingly smooth, especially after upgrading tires to Michelin Cross Terrains.

Suggested Improvements

Built for smaller people - distance from steering wheel to pedals a little too short. They fixed this in later years with telescoping steering column. Also passenger seat tilts a little to forward, but nothing major.