2000 Lexus RX 300 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:
The First 200k Miles...
By jonesiam on 04/09/09 15:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased it pre-owned for an individual and it has been excellent with only a couple of small problems. I am at almost 200 thousand miles and it still drives great. Aside from regular service, I've only had to replace a rear wheel bearing and washer fluid pump. Both together were less than $600 which is not bad for a nine year old car. I did make the mistake of trying to upgrade the spark plugs to Bosh IR's which burned 3 coil packs before I went back to the original Toyota plugs. So I would suggest to stay "factory" when it comes to tune-ups.

Great RX
By GreatRX on 03/28/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my 2000 RX in 2003 used with 40K miles, have driven it another 100K without issue. I have not been able to find something that I like as much to replace it. Gas mileage averages 19 normal with up to 23 on the highway. Best car I have ever had!

Still going strong
By Allan on 02/25/09 10:19 AM (PST)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

In past 18 months have put over 50k miles on car, now at 135k and going strong. Only normal maintenance, nothing more. Still rides, runs and stops as well as it did new. I've heard about transmission probs, but none for me (hoping the towing package helps w/ that). Strong metal used, just picked up first door dings this year - and took a good wallop at that. I keep looking at new cars, but just can't justify it when this one runs so well and looks so good.

Shame on you Toyota (Lexus)
By Steve on 01/08/09 19:16 PM (PST)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my Lexus RX300 when it was 1 year old and I knew the previous owner (engineer very good at maintaining). I have been pretty good abut keeping up with oil changes etc., and I have spent more money on this car than any car I've owned previously (Toyota or otherwise). First it was engine sludge and last month it was a new transmission. I now again have an emerging engine sludge problem and Lexus is again claiming no responsibility. I buy new and drive my cars forever, but my Lexus at 98,000 miles is the worst purchase I've ever made. I will not be buying a Toyota ever again.

Transmission went at 78000
By inetd on 08/17/08 14:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

Transmission went at 78000. Warranty is 70k/7yrs, and Lexus sticks to those numbers. This is a low-end basic Toyota transmission that Lexus loaded up with weight and gadgets. We know lots of people that have had 2x transmissions by 100k miles, some with 3x transmissions. It's the car's weak point for sure. Engine has had class action lawsuit for sludge/failure. Dealers still deny there's a problem - they're told to be quiet about it. Transmission class action is next. 2WD reliability is poor, 4WD reliability is abysmal

Quality Vehicle
By Chicago on 08/08/08 11:15 AM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

We bought ours used with 78K miles in 2005. We were taking our chances with Toyota quality and we are glad we did. The car has no problems till this day with 110K. We have promptly serviced our car with timing belt replacement, new tires, new brakes, and new alternator over three years and it is still running strong. We'll probably keep it another year or two.

Phenomenal Vehicle
By Duncan on 07/22/08 06:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I've had my RX for over 4 years, and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. I normally get bored with cars, and only keep them for a maximum of 3 years... this one I will likely be buried in. Drives amazingly, at 110k miles, no high cost repairs, extremely reliable, and comfortable! I love it as much as I did the day I bought it.

LuvMyRX!!!
By LuvMyRX on 05/20/08 16:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

I've had this car for 3 years now. I purchased it certified pre-owned from the dealership and I still love it. All my friends want to drive my car. No one believes me when I tell them it's a 2000 vehicle. Handles great with very comfortable seats. The cargo space is great. The back seats fold down easily and the only problem is that it's so roomy, it can't always take all the weight for home improvement projects!

2000 Lexus RX 300 4WD
By Tim on 03/05/08 13:07 PM (PST)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

Not too impressed by this car. Has lots of problems. Sensors go all the time, the ignition coils go a lot and they cost $95 a piece (6 of them will cost you close to $600 not including labor costs), if the check engine light comes on (which comes on all the time) the car will usually not shift into overdrive, the back spark plugs are almost impossible to change because the manifold is in the way and many many more. I thought Toyotas were reliable but I was wrong. I won't buy a Lexus or Toyota again.

Best suv ever.
By Stuart on 12/31/07 18:53 PM (PST)

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

I love the car! It has plenty of power all around. The interior comfort is great for long trips. I love the way it drives like a sedan, but still feels like an suv. I also like the peace of mind its many safety features give you. The interior is surprisingly roomy and luxurious. It is the first car I've ever had that keeps reseling itself. The more I drive it the more I love it. I have had it for over eight years. I have never had a problem except for routine service. I am sold on Lexus quality. I still receive compliments on it all the time. Even after eight years it still doesn't look outdated at all. I also enjoy the lexus premium sound system and the six disc cd changer. It sounds great.