Used 2000 Lexus RX 300 Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Good vehicle
By Gregory J Strzelecki

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

We have owned this vehicle for a few years but after it got to 150,000 things started breaking. The major problems I have experienced is replacing the knock sensors, and the check engine light will not go out. There are to many sensors on this vehicle so your check engine light will come back on once you have fixed the problem. other then that it is a nice vehicle to own. The ride is smooth it is quiet and the straight road handling is great. The worst steering problem is that you can not make tight turns.
By
Gregory J. Strzelecki

Have driven it like a sports car for 16 years!
By Stan

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

Bought it new in May '99. Since then have put 213,000 miles on it. Have had a few repairs along the way. At 66K mile relaced battery, otherwise the first major service (besides routine) was at 72K miles; a check engine light required a $170 meter. Had all the struts replaced at 96K miles. I switched to synthetic oil at 97K miles. At 100K, the engine dying while trying to start required a $270 IAC valve and a $265 something called "Assy, Idle Spe." At 123K, needed new rear brakes. At 135K miles, spent $900, because it needed a new timing belt, all (3) engine drive belts, water pump and 3 light bulb (some of the bulbs can be replaced by anyone and a few are hard to access). At 141K, had to replace the air fuel sensor replace battery at that time also). At 147K, a passenger side CV joint was noted to be damaged. At 166K, the right front door lock actuator was replaced. At 180K, another 90K service was done and in addition an exhaust system gasket leak was repaired, a transmission pan gasket was leaking and replaced, and the power steering rack & pinion unit was leaking and was replaced (I spent over $2,000 dollars that day). Again at 200K, a front right inner CV boot and the transmission pan gasket were leaking (these were fixed, both front CV boots were replaced). Replaced the air-fuel sensor again at 201K miles. The high beams became inoperative requiring a surprising amount of diagnostic work-up; in the end it was just a bulb that was out. At some point, the radio antenna gear strip broke (antenna would not lower), but I found out how to repair that myself from the internet and it only cost about $25. Finally, about a week ago I ended up paying for a $1400 repair because the ignition switch locked up (requiring a ride back to civilization aboard a flat-bed wrecker).

I would say the majority of my service is just tire rotations and oil changes. Every once and a while a sensor goes out (especially the air-fuel sensor), A few gasket and CV leaks (but the CV joints were fine).

I still like it. It is quiet, smooth, has lots of storage and enough power.

Love the car, hate the transmission!!!
By Heather

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

I purchased this car with 130,000 mi. on it. The car still drives like a new car, minor wear on front leather driver seat & basically still looks new. I was aware of the transmission troubles with this model, but hoped it wouldn't happen to me, but it did! At around 160,000 mi., it went. I had a transmission put in & I am now at 180,000 mi. I drive around 100 miles daily, so it is a work horse for sure! I will be satisfied if it will take me to 300,000 with no major issues. I will then feel that I got my money's worth!

rx 300 lexus
By kosudo

i had transmission probrum 53,000 miles
replaced new one
after 50,000miles later transmission fell again in right middle of in death valley ca.
it was so bad we had to wait 3 hours to toeing truck to arrive.i called lexus on thursday 4-16-20013 they told me get back to me on tuesday on 4-23-20013 still no answer. they told me to wait one more day. i am so angry about whole thing taking such long time to get back to me. i have rental car, have to return.

Great SUV
By Steve

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

Great SUV. Drives like a car and performs like a SUV. Very dependable and fun to drive. Having a few problems, fuel coils, windshield washer motor, wiring harness, less than 80k.

Style and comfort. Good looking vehicle.

Turning radius, small gas tank, fuel economy, 6 cd changer in glove box makes a lot of noise, ugly tail lights, I mean ugly. Newer models all of this fixed (or at least made better). Except newer models 2004 and up not a nice looking overall.