2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:
The good, bad and ugly
By kolocar on 07/27/14 17:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

2000 AWD, purchased used in 2011 w 110K. The good-smooth drivetrain, ride, reasonably comfortable seats. Only replaced 1 O2 sensor in first 40K miles. The bad-$$$ to fix: $1200 for timing belt/H2O pump. At 152K, knock sensor and sub harness, air fuel ratio sensor, valve cover gaskets: $2100. At 156K, front 2 catalysts: $900. The ugly: TERRIBLE MPG: Avg 16-17 around town, rarely more than 20 all highway. The big culprit seems to be the gearing - very short geared - about 2900 RPM at 70MPH. Extra weight for AWD does not help, nor do the side mirrors, the size of small flat screen TVs. No compass. Radio and HVAC controls look the same. Too expensive to own-would not buy another.

185,000 Miles with ZERO Problems
By ethanh18 on 12/04/13 15:51 PM (PST)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

My lexus has over 185,000 miles on it and is still running great! We have had no major repairs besides maintenance, I would highly recommend this car

rx 300 lexus
By kosudo on 04/23/13 21:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

i had transmission probrum 53,000 miles replaced new one after 50,000miles later transmission fell again in right middle of in death valley ca. it was so bad we had to wait 3 hours to toeing truck to arrive.i called lexus on thursday 4-16-20013 they told me get back to me on tuesday on 4-23-20013 still no answer. they told me to wait one more day. i am so angry about whole thing taking such long time to get back to me. i have rental car, have to return.

Lexus RX300 Transmission
By abonte1 on 08/17/11 09:36 AM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

After reading reviews I thought I would add to the pot. My Lexus RX 300 SUV transmission recently went out and is in the shop as I type. Waiting for the transmission place to give me an estimate. He has had it and had to break it down. It needs to be replaced he said but is still calculating the parts and labor. I hate to hear what that is...I thought these were long lasting cars if you kept up the maintenance, which is why I bought it. It has 170K miles, so I guess it did last a bit longer than some of the others I read on the blog. I hope it runs like it use to or better after they replace this transmission.

Great SUV
By Steve on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

Great SUV. Drives like a car and performs like a SUV. Very dependable and fun to drive. Having a few problems, fuel coils, windshield washer motor, wiring harness, less than 80k.

rx300
By RX300RN on 06/15/10 11:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I only service my RX300 at this dealership based on their reliability and quality of work. In addition the personnel have been gracious and professional over the 10 yrs of ownership As an RN I know from experience the importance of qualities such as these in providing reliability and confidence as well as a level of luxury. I have driven this vehicle in treacherous driving conditions, including weather and traffic situations and marveled at the performance. Urban conditions are also more manageable because of the improved visibility from the drivers seat. Great Vehicle, Lexus!

Lexus RX 300 2000
By pbowman on 04/17/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

The transmission went out without warning. I called Lexus, they said sorry about your luck. It will cost me $4200 to start for a reconditioned transmission. My mechanic said this model transmission is in such demand they are difficult to find. The name Lexus is nothing to me now!

Bad Transmission
By Liz on 04/08/10 10:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I just got in to this 2000 Rx 300 and was great it had 113k now over 1 month of driving have 115K and the transmission is gone, I love the suv but a lots of friend said that after 100k trans goes bad , I hope some one told me that before I got in to this pay in cash over $9,000 and now new trans. is a very bad luck or they have this problem and no one report this? please let the consumer to know about this before we keep putting our money on trash.

2000 Lexus RX300
By scott R on 01/26/10 20:05 PM (PST)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Common problem with this model is transmission failure at 90k - 130k. Well, mine failed at 144,000k. This is a low end Lexus and would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Worst car I've ever owned
By Tom Michalek on 01/15/10 16:39 PM (PST)

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

The Lexus brand is by far the greatest rip off in American history. The transmission failed at 100K, and the car has more sensors than any car I know. We have spent over $7,00o in repair fees on this car. I can not believe the reputation gets in the media. They give the Japanese car companies a bad name. Beware.