Used 2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Love the car, hate the transmission!!!
By Heather

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

I purchased this car with 130,000 mi. on it. The car still drives like a new car, minor wear on front leather driver seat & basically still looks new. I was aware of the transmission troubles with this model, but hoped it wouldn't happen to me, but it did! At around 160,000 mi., it went. I had a transmission put in & I am now at 180,000 mi. I drive around 100 miles daily, so it is a work horse for sure! I will be satisfied if it will take me to 300,000 with no major issues. I will then feel that I got my money's worth!

how many 02 sensors can one car need replacing
By chrissylynn53

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have had the alternator go out. and countless sensors it goes in the shop about 1 time a year for at least 500 in repairs. I will never buy a lexus again biggest piece of crap. I will buy a ford for my next car. I broke down 100 miles from home and had to hitch hike. scary. I [non-permissible content removed] hate this car

heated seats

make a better car

The good, bad and ugly
By kolocar

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

2000 AWD, purchased used in 2011 w 110K. The good-smooth drivetrain, ride, reasonably comfortable seats. Only replaced 1 O2 sensor in first 40K miles. The bad-$$$ to fix: $1200 for timing belt/H2O pump. At 152K, knock sensor and sub harness, air fuel ratio sensor, valve cover gaskets: $2100. At 156K, front 2 catalysts: $900. The ugly: TERRIBLE MPG: Avg 16-17 around town, rarely more than 20 all highway. The big culprit seems to be the gearing - very short geared - about 2900 RPM at 70MPH. Extra weight for AWD does not help, nor do the side mirrors, the size of small flat screen TVs. No compass. Radio and HVAC controls look the same. Too expensive to own-would not buy another.

The engine and trans work flawlessly together, although the 3.0 can feel underpowered. The suspension is soft but not too soft, so the ride is very pleasant.

Kill all the wind noise around the A pillars. Re-imagine the audio and HVAC controls - both sets of buttons and knobs are the same, and not logical. The little info screen in unreadable in bright sunlight. Make it more stable in crosswinds - it gets blown around easily. And give it a compass! Even Chrysler minivans have a compass. But most of all - improve the fuel economy - we rented a 2013 Chevy Silverado, 5.3V8 that attained better overall fuel economy than the 3.0V6 in the RX300!

185,000 Miles with ZERO Problems
By ethanh18

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

My lexus has over 185,000 miles on it and is still running great! We have had no major repairs besides maintenance, I would highly recommend this car

Sun roof, heated seats, all wheel drive and great sound system

rx 300 lexus
By kosudo

2000 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

i had transmission probrum 53,000 miles replaced new one after 50,000miles later transmission fell again in right middle of in death valley ca. it was so bad we had to wait 3 hours to toeing truck to arrive.i called lexus on thursday 4-16-20013 they told me get back to me on tuesday on 4-23-20013 still no answer. they told me to wait one more day. i am so angry about whole thing taking such long time to get back to me. i have rental car, have to return.