Used 2000 Lexus RX 300 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

rx 300 lexus
By kosudo

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

i had transmission probrum 53,000 miles replaced new one after 50,000miles later transmission fell again in right middle of in death valley ca. it was so bad we had to wait 3 hours to toeing truck to arrive.i called lexus on thursday 4-16-20013 they told me get back to me on tuesday on 4-23-20013 still no answer. they told me to wait one more day. i am so angry about whole thing taking such long time to get back to me. i have rental car, have to return.

Great SUV
By Steve

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

Great SUV. Drives like a car and performs like a SUV. Very dependable and fun to drive. Having a few problems, fuel coils, windshield washer motor, wiring harness, less than 80k.

Favorite Features

Style and comfort. Good looking vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius, small gas tank, fuel economy, 6 cd changer in glove box makes a lot of noise, ugly tail lights, I mean ugly. Newer models all of this fixed (or at least made better). Except newer models 2004 and up not a nice looking overall.

Transmission went at 78000
By inetd

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

Transmission went at 78000. Warranty is 70k/7yrs, and Lexus sticks to those numbers. This is a low-end basic Toyota transmission that Lexus loaded up with weight and gadgets. We know lots of people that have had 2x transmissions by 100k miles, some with 3x transmissions. It's the car's weak point for sure. Engine has had class action lawsuit for sludge/failure. Dealers still deny there's a problem - they're told to be quiet about it. Transmission class action is next. 2WD reliability is poor, 4WD reliability is abysmal

Favorite Features

It's really just a basic car. "Lexus Reliability" is a myth, it's just a car. Car is a good deal if trans has just been replaced w/a new warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Less marketing hype about reliability and more effort into the actual engineering of that reliability. This car is just a spiffy Highlander.

LuvMyRX!!!
By LuvMyRX

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

I've had this car for 3 years now. I purchased it certified pre-owned from the dealership and I still love it. All my friends want to drive my car. No one believes me when I tell them it's a 2000 vehicle. Handles great with very comfortable seats. The cargo space is great. The back seats fold down easily and the only problem is that it's so roomy, it can't always take all the weight for home improvement projects!

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seating - fits 5 adults or 4 adults and a car seat comfortably. Excellent ride on most road surfaces. I have become spoiled!!!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage although the 19 and 29 is not too terrible for an SUV. With gas prices at $4/gallon, who doesn't want better gas mileage?

Best suv ever.
By Stuart

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

I love the car! It has plenty of power all around. The interior comfort is great for long trips. I love the way it drives like a sedan, but still feels like an suv. I also like the peace of mind its many safety features give you. The interior is surprisingly roomy and luxurious. It is the first car I've ever had that keeps reseling itself. The more I drive it the more I love it. I have had it for over eight years. I have never had a problem except for routine service. I am sold on Lexus quality. I still receive compliments on it all the time. Even after eight years it still doesn't look outdated at all. I also enjoy the lexus premium sound system and the six disc cd changer. It sounds great.

Favorite Features

The excellent service I get from my Lexus dealer, outstanding reliability, gas mileage, Lexus premium sound systemm is better than my home surrouund sound, six disc cd changer, storage space, quality of materials.

Suggested Improvements

A single in dash cd player would be nice in addition to the changer. Larger fuel tank, better turning radius, add compass and miles to empty to information display