Used 2000 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Transmission went at 78000
By inetd

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

Transmission went at 78000. Warranty is 70k/7yrs, and Lexus sticks to those numbers. This is a low-end basic Toyota transmission that Lexus loaded up with weight and gadgets. We know lots of people that have had 2x transmissions by 100k miles, some with 3x transmissions. It's the car's weak point for sure. Engine has had class action lawsuit for sludge/failure. Dealers still deny there's a problem - they're told to be quiet about it. Transmission class action is next. 2WD reliability is poor, 4WD reliability is abysmal

Favorite Features

It's really just a basic car. "Lexus Reliability" is a myth, it's just a car. Car is a good deal if trans has just been replaced w/a new warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Less marketing hype about reliability and more effort into the actual engineering of that reliability. This car is just a spiffy Highlander.

Worst car I've ever owned
By Tom Michalek

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

The Lexus brand is by far the greatest rip off in American history. The transmission failed at 100K, and the car has more sensors than any car I know. We have spent over $7,00o in repair fees on this car. I can not believe the reputation gets in the media. They give the Japanese car companies a bad name. Beware.

rx 300 lexus
By kosudo

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

i had transmission probrum 53,000 miles replaced new one after 50,000miles later transmission fell again in right middle of in death valley ca. it was so bad we had to wait 3 hours to toeing truck to arrive.i called lexus on thursday 4-16-20013 they told me get back to me on tuesday on 4-23-20013 still no answer. they told me to wait one more day. i am so angry about whole thing taking such long time to get back to me. i have rental car, have to return.

how many 02 sensors can one car need replacing
By chrissylynn53

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I have had the alternator go out. and countless sensors it goes in the shop about 1 time a year for at least 500 in repairs. I will never buy a lexus again biggest piece of crap. I will buy a ford for my next car. I broke down 100 miles from home and had to hitch hike. scary. I [non-permissible content removed] hate this car

Favorite Features

heated seats

Suggested Improvements

make a better car

Shame on you Toyota (Lexus)
By Steve

2000 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my Lexus RX300 when it was 1 year old and I knew the previous owner (engineer very good at maintaining). I have been pretty good abut keeping up with oil changes etc., and I have spent more money on this car than any car I've owned previously (Toyota or otherwise). First it was engine sludge and last month it was a new transmission. I now again have an emerging engine sludge problem and Lexus is again claiming no responsibility. I buy new and drive my cars forever, but my Lexus at 98,000 miles is the worst purchase I've ever made. I will not be buying a Toyota ever again.

Favorite Features

Looks and rides great.

Suggested Improvements

Well let's see, how about a good motor that does not produce sludge and transmission that lasts over 100k. Nothing important.