1999 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Review: Stay away

1999 Lexus RX 300 - Consumer Review

Stay away
By Eddie Hairr on

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I love Lexus and currently own two. However, the RX has been very unreliable and left us stranded on vacation two summers in a row. I purchased the vehicle with 48K miles and didn't expect any problems; however, that was short lived. Everything from electrical issues to fuel system issues has plagued the vehicle. In the last two years alone, the maintenance costs have exceeded $6K. I know, I must be an idiot for keeping it this long. The longer I try to keep the vehicle to receive a return for the maintenance costs, the more it burns my wallet. Believe it or not, the vehicle is 10 years old, very well maintained and doesn't even have 100K miles yet. The repair costs far exceed the miles driven.

The AWD feature has been used twice since owning the vehicle and both times it performed well. I drove it on the beach with family and never got stuck. Additionally, the vehicle is great for my wife to manage on the road.

None...maybe I bought a lemon.