1999 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Review: A joy to own

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV - Consumer Review

A joy to own
By Vssc400 on

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

Bought with 71k on odo. now 103k on the odo. I decided to buy the RX 300 AWD w/LSD because I have been a happy owner of a 92 SC 400 and it was such a pleasure to own so buying the RX 300 was a no-brainer choice for me. My car pool guy who has a 2000 Grand Cherokee LTD w/40k miles who made fun of me drove it for a week and 3 weeks later he sold the Cherokee and bought a 99 RX 300 AWD. I didn't like some of the remote key functions and the dealer re-programmed the CBEST settings for and washed the car for free (I didn't even buy the car or serviced it from them). Awesome performance on snow, ice, hills. I can't believe a 1st year of a new model lineup could be this good.

Heated seats work fast and work well. I've gotten just about 19 miles per gallon over the last 30k + miles. Very crisp sound system. SNOW mode, ECT mode, location of CD changer, RELIABILITY, reclining rear seat. The wipers, did anyone notice there is no "triangle" in the middle of the windshield?!!!!

Turning radius leaves much to be desired for. Larger gas tank (more like 20 gallon tank would be nice). Maybe an option to get the car in one solid color rather than 2 tone. 40 more HP, 3500 lbs towing capacity needs to be bumped up. The heater and A/C could use a little more beefing up.