1999 Lexus RX 300 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Well Built SUV
By S. Griffith

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

My wife and I purchased our 1999 RX with 32000 miles on it in January of 02. We have loved it ever since. I do wish the fuel tank was larger, but that is my only complaint!!! This is a great SUV.. even afer 3 years and 32000 miles it feels and performes like new. My wife and I are both over 6'2" and we even fit PERFECTLY in the back seat... a HUGE surprise. We drove tahoes and it seems as if we have more leg-room in the RX. Don't let the size fool you!!! While I don't expect we will ever own a new Lexus, we will never own another type of vehicle.

Favorite Features

Interior/Exterior design, ride, performance, sound system (we don't even have the nakamichi), SPACE!!!

Suggested Improvements

Fuel tank capacity, could have a LITTLE better on fuel economy (we average 21 MPG)... um... that is all!!

GREAT LUXURY SUV
By J. Davenport

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This LEXUS RX300 is worth every penny...purchased used and is a pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

fine leather

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Solid and Fun To Dr
By Lenard

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Fun to drive, reliable, great on the interstate, and perfect in the snow.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride and great driver view of the roaf.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger fuel tank.

Smooth as butter
By HMS

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I am coming to the end of my lease on the vehicle. It has been a pleasure to drive. I've owned Mercedes and a BMW, but the ride and quality of this SUV can compete with either of the marque names. I do which the turning radius was tigher as well as a larger fuel tank. I have the Nak system which sounds great, but I find it a hassle to open the glove box to and change cds.

Favorite Features

Seating height i excellent for me (5'11"). The height of the rear hatch is very convenient. I like the position of the shifter. The seats are comfortable on short trips (<100 miles)

Suggested Improvements

Tighten the turning the turning radius; enlarge the gas tank, relocate the cd changer in the radio; and widen the back of the front seats.

RX 300
By drrice

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This is my favorite car I have owned. It rides like a Lexus sedan, but goes in the snow without a problem. Great traction in the rain as well.

Favorite Features

Awesome ride.

lexus rx300 after 3 years
By abba

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

turning radius is not as good as it should be, and gas tank is too small. otherwise this is what i consider to be a "bulletproof" vehicle. after 3 years, there have been no repairs needed. we replaced the tires after 20,000 mi, and changed engine oil every 5,000 mi. that is all that was required. all in all, this has been an excellent vehicle.

Favorite Features

the upgraded nakamichi radio/cd player was well worth the additional money. the height of the vehicle was appreciated as was the roominess for 5 passengers. we especially liked the carlike ride, never using this vehicle off road.

Suggested Improvements

inprove turning radius, & increase gas tank capacity. a navigation system would be another worthwhile option.

Love my RX
By Barbielou

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Have now put on 25K miles on my Lexus RX 300....still couldn't be happier after three years driving. Cars were just transportation before I got this now I have a whole new outlook on getting around. Also, everyone who rides in in loves it as much as I do. No repairs yet worth mentioning.

Favorite Features

Luxury car like, comfortable drive for SUV. Low enough that I don't feel like it will flip over, yet high enough that I don't feel sufficated my all the big SUVs/trucks on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise when windows are open over 25 mph...hurts ears.

Happy With the RX
By Alexis Owner

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

We purchased it for my wife with 30K Miles and have thouroughly enjoyed it. I recently had an exhaust manifold leak fixed and I had the rear bushings replaced a little while ago. No maj problems and we enjoy driving it in bad weather as the visibility through the winshield is great. Pohanka service dept and salesman Terry have been great.

Favorite Features

My wife likes the adjustability of the drivers seat and the memory feature and I like the way the rear seat folds down with no hassels.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten the turning radius!!!

Lexus RX 300 fun, cushy car to drive
By susan r

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

I really love this car...For 35K it was way cheaper than most other luxury SUV's. The only problem I had with it was that the AC would go out, especially when it was super hot. Think Houston in summer. 100% humidity and 103 degrees. I brought it to the dealer in San Antonio who said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I later brought it to a dealer in Albuqerque who fixed the problem for free becuase by that time it was apparently a known bug. Also when I put sunblock on my hands, I got some on the black plastic thing around the console and caused the black paint on it to smudge and rub off.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, cool blue console, sunroof, good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I really wish they could seal the black plastic thing around the console so that when I put sunblock on my hands that hours later, it doesn't cause the paint on the console to smudge. Yuck!

Linus our RX300
By Art Brown

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV

This vehicle is another example of the superb cars produced by Lexus. Nothing breaks and the maintenance service is outstanding I would own nothing other than a Lexus

Favorite Features

Superb road handling and reliablilty. Styling is wonderful