Used 1999 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Lexus RX300
By Leanne

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Lexus when it was 3 years old. I don't like to buy new cars because you lose so much money on them, I prefer certified used cars. The only problem I've had with this car is that the air conditioning went out after I'd had it a year but it was covered by the extended warranty. Otherwise it's been a great car. I like the way it looks and it feels very solid on the road in all kinds of weather. One criticism of the inside design is there is no in-dash CD player but this is fixed with later models

A joy to own
By Vssc400

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

Bought with 71k on odo. now 103k on the odo. I decided to buy the RX 300 AWD w/LSD because I have been a happy owner of a 92 SC 400 and it was such a pleasure to own so buying the RX 300 was a no-brainer choice for me. My car pool guy who has a 2000 Grand Cherokee LTD w/40k miles who made fun of me drove it for a week and 3 weeks later he sold the Cherokee and bought a 99 RX 300 AWD. I didn't like some of the remote key functions and the dealer re-programmed the CBEST settings for and washed the car for free (I didn't even buy the car or serviced it from them). Awesome performance on snow, ice, hills. I can't believe a 1st year of a new model lineup could be this good.

Heated seats work fast and work well. I've gotten just about 19 miles per gallon over the last 30k + miles. Very crisp sound system. SNOW mode, ECT mode, location of CD changer, RELIABILITY, reclining rear seat. The wipers, did anyone notice there is no "triangle" in the middle of the windshield?!!!!

Turning radius leaves much to be desired for. Larger gas tank (more like 20 gallon tank would be nice). Maybe an option to get the car in one solid color rather than 2 tone. 40 more HP, 3500 lbs towing capacity needs to be bumped up. The heater and A/C could use a little more beefing up.

RX 300
By Jason

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car less than 2 months ago and it seems to be very reliable, however, the gas mileage is terrible. 16 mpg in the city and 19 mpg on the highway. With fuel prices as high as they are, we are considering selling it. It is also very expensive to fix or get serviced. I am one that likes to work on my own cars, but with the Lexus the majority of the parts you have to buy at the dealer at inflated prices. I would think long and hard about buying this car unless you can afford the gas and services.

Very comfortable

Better fuel economy and decrease in parts and services. $90 per hour is crazy.

99 Lexus RX300
By Lyle D. Mitchell

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV

2nd owner of this 1999 RX300. Everything was fine until the auto trans went out at 77,800 miles with no warning. Lexus remanufact trans costs $5000. This failure was very disappointing.

Ride & handling; quiet; ease of entry/exit. Styling.

Reduce cost of dealer performed routine service. Better gas mileage.

Still Gorgeous
By Frumious

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

She's 6 years old now and still seems brand new. Not a single flaw - ever. The paint polishes up showroom perfect. The leather is still perfect. I'm really appreciating the quality design materials and workmanship that went into this car. Much, much better than my 2001 Benz ML. (which I just sold out of dissappointment).

What's not to like? Great style, color, quality. Makes my wife very happy.

Maybe an additional 40 horsepower. No big deal.