Used 1999 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
1999 Lexus RX 300
By EAC

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

Great SUV. No Major problems besides an oxygen sensor needing replacement. Acceleration is not great and fuel economy is not great either. Fuel consumption got worse when I bought new tires. Only dislike is that servicing is expensive and dealership cuts no breaks even for long time customer like me.

Favorite Features

reliability

Suggested Improvements

Body roll is bad. When driving on freeway roundabouts or on ramps you must be careful b/c there is a swaying feeling and it makes you want to brake whether you need to or not. This could be an issue with my more aggressive all seasons which don't stick to road as well.

Love it....but it has ISSUES!!!!!
By 14ktlady

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I love driving it in the winter, I had some problems in the beginning, but the recall took care of the oil clumping problem at Lexus's expense. They also fixed the sensors but, the oxygen still causes the engine light to come on.

Favorite Features

The heated seats and AWD, IN Ohio, it comes in handy!!!

Suggested Improvements

The price of maintenance!!!

Very Disappointed
By kristal1

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

Bought the Lexus Rx 300 because of Lexus' reputation of being a reliable vehicle, sadly disappointed with our experience. We bought this car 5 years ago with 48K miles on it and hoped to drive it over 200K miles. Unforunately at 100K miles the car had a steering column failure, the worst the dealer had ever seen. Car was unsafe to drive. Cost of repairs $1,700. Less than 12 months later at 112K miles the engine went. Expected cost to replace $5,000 for a used engine, significantly more for a new one. Never expected this from Lexus! at 112K miles... are you kidding me. Should have read reviews before buying it.

Favorite Features

Too bitter to think of any...

Suggested Improvements

Heated leather seats aren't worth much in a car without a working engine! EPIC FAIL!

Lexus RX300
By Leanne

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Lexus when it was 3 years old. I don't like to buy new cars because you lose so much money on them, I prefer certified used cars. The only problem I've had with this car is that the air conditioning went out after I'd had it a year but it was covered by the extended warranty. Otherwise it's been a great car. I like the way it looks and it feels very solid on the road in all kinds of weather. One criticism of the inside design is there is no in-dash CD player but this is fixed with later models

Still Gorgeous
By Frumious

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

She's 6 years old now and still seems brand new. Not a single flaw - ever. The paint polishes up showroom perfect. The leather is still perfect. I'm really appreciating the quality design materials and workmanship that went into this car. Much, much better than my 2001 Benz ML. (which I just sold out of dissappointment).

Favorite Features

What's not to like? Great style, color, quality. Makes my wife very happy.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe an additional 40 horsepower. No big deal.