1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:
Stay away
By Eddie Hairr on 12/23/09 06:52 AM (PST)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I love Lexus and currently own two. However, the RX has been very unreliable and left us stranded on vacation two summers in a row. I purchased the vehicle with 48K miles and didn't expect any problems; however, that was short lived. Everything from electrical issues to fuel system issues has plagued the vehicle. In the last two years alone, the maintenance costs have exceeded $6K. I know, I must be an idiot for keeping it this long. The longer I try to keep the vehicle to receive a return for the maintenance costs, the more it burns my wallet. Believe it or not, the vehicle is 10 years old, very well maintained and doesn't even have 100K miles yet. The repair costs far exceed the miles driven.

Best car ever built
By Bixby503 on 10/25/09 08:18 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my RX300 since 2002. It now has 134k miles on it. This is the best car ever built in my opinion. I will not give it up ever, for any price. It is absolutely incredible on snow, ice and rain. It is very safe, drives great and rides even better. I also own an SC430, but I prefer the RX300 to it any day.

1999 Lexus RX 300
By EAC on 09/09/09 14:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Great SUV. No Major problems besides an oxygen sensor needing replacement. Acceleration is not great and fuel economy is not great either. Fuel consumption got worse when I bought new tires. Only dislike is that servicing is expensive and dealership cuts no breaks even for long time customer like me.

Awesome
By groverusty on 06/26/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Just bought this 99 RX300 valued at 10,000 plus for $5500.00 Had to put in valve cover gaskets, timing belt/water pump. This cost $1000.00 This is an awesome car. It is so quiet and fun to drive. Heated seats help our backs, and if I can keep my wife happy, then we are ALL happy. But seriously, I LOVE THIS CAR. The Pre-purchase inspection told us everything we needed to have done but even that mechanic said "If you don't want it, let me know because I do". AWESOME!

Fairly easy to work on
By HomeMechanic on 04/08/09 07:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased from a private owner with 135k, now 155k. RX3s can have some small known issues that can be fixed by a competent DIYer. Exhaust leak (have a friend with a welder?), O2 sensors (buy a $5 socket), clean the MAF (simple), spark plugs (a chore but not impossible), suspension noise (disassembling a strut is more than most ppl want to do on their own). Suggest changing the driveline fluids for insurance against trans issues. Consistent 19mpg which I think is fair- if you get less, have it checked out, or turn off 'power' mode! All in all, I think its a vehicle you can become familiar with & keep around for a long time. It's versatile, but not too big or obnoxious. My trusty daily driver.

Held up well in wreck
By M on 03/15/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I enjoyed this vehicle until the day it was totaled. It held up really well in the accident. Airbags deployed as designed, side door panels kept interior safe. Gas shut off switch functioned properly. Seatbelts locked. Did not roll over. I'm looking for another one to replace it. Only major trouble that I had was the transmission at about 150000, but car had 170000 on it at time of wreck.

Great Vehicle for a Great Price!
By Satisfied on 12/30/08 16:55 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

The vehicle was purchased in 2003 with 89k miles. It now has 150k miles and still runs like a champ. Keeping the regular maintenance, I expect another 150k miles. Hope to give the car to my one year old daughter when she's of age. It's extremely reliable in going up and down Stevens and Snoqualmie Passes in Washington. The AWD allows for great traction even in the most extreme cases, superb handling in inclement weather. The car has needed a new starter, battery, and minor. Belts and plugs were changed at suggested intervals. No major repairs or maintenance. I would recommend maintaining the car yourself, the dealership is just too expensive and not necessary.

My Rx Rocks
By Jeff on 10/28/08 21:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Ok I got a 99 2 months ago. It's got 130,000 miles. Love it. Great power. Lots of options. Seat is worn from last owner pretty bad, drives great. Turning radius is fine. Gas could be better but oh well my last car was a Saturn. I had to tint the front windows to match the rest of the car and I dropped a couple of subwoofers in to juice up the radio. The deck was unchangable which kinda stinks. It's got a stock Nakamichi stereo tho. I bet in 99 this was the hottest car out.

Lexus RX 300 ,1999 RX 300 8 YEAR REVIEW
By PowerhousePaluch on 09/18/08 18:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this RX 300 brand new, this was my first Japanese built vehicle, having owned, VWs, Volvos, Audis and BMWs and one Chev Corsica. Just as we were driving off the lot. I remember the salesperson saying "you will not have any problems with this car for the next 7 years" I thought, ok Buddy, I already bought and paid you stop the sales pitch. He was right, for the next 7 years I only had to do the scheduled maintenance and put gas in it. I am now going to trade it in. It is now 9 years old and has 146,000 km, but still looks good. I will buy another Lexus. Problems that I had with my 1999 RX 300, you ask? See suggested improvements.

Caro's 99 Lexus RX 300
By caro on 03/17/08 16:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This is a great vehicle if you're looking for a "tall car". It is the size of a sedan, just higher off the ground. One major design flaw which I understand has been fixed, if the rear windows are down but the front aren't, there is a horrible wind-suction noise. Other than that, it is a smooth, luxury ride. Very nice interior leather, comfortable seats and a nice car to drive around town and short distances. Wouldn't recommend for a long drive, particularly if you're stuck in the back seats. Low maintenance, in my experience.