1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:
The RX-300 is a beast!
By roverfanatic7 on 12/30/12 17:29 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Have the 1999 Lexus RX-300 AWD with 260,000 miles running strong. The reliability and safety are ahead of its time! Maintenance is cheaper than any other luxury brand. The car took a massive hit from an escalade, but held up strong and protected us. Don't be fooled, the RX is a good 4 X 4. Held up through the tough winters in NC! Comfortable and will continue to buy Lexus/Toyota. Wouldn't be surprised if this car made it to 400,000 miles. Mechanic expects it to at least drive for a 100,000 more.

Good older SUV
By krw5 on 11/03/12 17:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this with 167k on it as a "winter beater" three years ago, never thinking that with that many miles it would be as great a vehicle as it is. The only thing that's ever gone wrong is that the ignition coils needed to be replaced. Still gets 20-25mpg, passes California smog with flying colors, looks pretty good for a 14 year old Lexus. It did have the advantage of being a one owner vehicle serviced exclusively by a Lexus dealer (it even has a Lexus brand battery). I change fluids religiously and expect it to go another 100k.

Lexus saved our lives!!
By lexusluver on 05/14/12 12:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Owned a 1999 Lexus Rx 300 for five years. Three weeks ago my husband and I was hit from behind by a full sized pick up while sitting at a stop light,then pushed into another SUV in front of us. The police report said that the driver of the pick up never even noticed us and never slowed down and hit us doing 45mph. Although we received back/neck injuries, we feel that because we were driving our Lexus, it saved our lives. A police officer and a fireman both called our Lexus a "little tank" and told me that we were lucky to be driving it. we were told it could have more serious. We are definitely purchasing another Lexus as soon as we settle with insurance co. Miss our Lexy!

Have owned mine since it was new
By fyrcat on 01/18/12 13:13 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I had owned my 1999 rx 300 since it was new. I currently have 78000 miles on it. No problems until I hit 65000 miles and my transmission went out. My dealer here in the SF bay area wanted 6500.00, so I shopped around and found an independent tranny shop who did it for 3500.00. Other than that, I love this car! I have never held on to a car for more than 6 years, but I still adore my Lexus. I just repaired the leather on the drivers side that ripped from 13 years of in and out. Otherwise both the interior and the exterior look great. I am hoping to keep her for 2 more years, and when ready to replace her, I would buy another Lexus in a heartbeat.

Very Disappointed
By kristal1 on 07/27/11 22:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Bought the Lexus Rx 300 because of Lexus' reputation of being a reliable vehicle, sadly disappointed with our experience. We bought this car 5 years ago with 48K miles on it and hoped to drive it over 200K miles. Unforunately at 100K miles the car had a steering column failure, the worst the dealer had ever seen. Car was unsafe to drive. Cost of repairs $1,700. Less than 12 months later at 112K miles the engine went. Expected cost to replace $5,000 for a used engine, significantly more for a new one. Never expected this from Lexus! at 112K miles... are you kidding me. Should have read reviews before buying it.

My Favorite Vehicle...Until
By bridgils on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have loved this vehicle since the first test drive. It exceeded my expectations for years until today. This SUV is notorious for costly transmission failures - today I join this club. It would have been the perfect vehicle if the tran would have held up. The repair cost is anticipated to be the blue book on the vehicle - tough call.

Mobile money pit
By Foggy on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This is a terrible car. I bought a Lexus for the reliability, but spent a fortune on repairs. Air Compressor, Transmission, would be the 2 biggies. Check the lexus owner website about the complaints on this model. I was lucky that the tranny went out at 145,000. My Compressor went out at 59k. Transfer case died at 185k.

Lexus, NEVER AGAIN
By RX300 on 07/18/10 02:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

The Lexus RX300 is all about look and false reputation. I bought this 99' RX300 108K 8 months ago hopping to have a reliable vehicle at least for 50K based on Toyota/Lexus false reputation and transmission blew at 120k, then I saw on the web forums that is very common on RX300 transmissions blowing under 100K (90, 80 or 75K). Lexus RX300 is a piece of crap. Overpriced to buy, insane to fix. Next time I will definitely go with Ford or Chevy family. I will recommend it to my worst enemy.

Love My Car!
By dgrant1518 on 07/01/10 08:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car! I purchased it with 38,000 miles. I am now at 256,000 with no major problems at all. I have only had a couple sensors and the alternator replaced.

Love it....but it has ISSUES!!!!!
By 14ktlady on 01/12/10 16:49 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I love driving it in the winter, I had some problems in the beginning, but the recall took care of the oil clumping problem at Lexus's expense. They also fixed the sensors but, the oxygen still causes the engine light to come on.