Used 1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

The RX-300 is a beast!
By roverfanatic7

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Have the 1999 Lexus RX-300 AWD with 260,000 miles running strong. The reliability and safety are ahead of its time! Maintenance is cheaper than any other luxury brand. The car took a massive hit from an escalade, but held up strong and protected us. Don't be fooled, the RX is a good 4 X 4. Held up through the tough winters in NC! Comfortable and will continue to buy Lexus/Toyota. Wouldn't be surprised if this car made it to 400,000 miles. Mechanic expects it to at least drive for a 100,000 more.

Exterior design

Good older SUV
By krw5

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this with 167k on it as a "winter beater" three years ago, never thinking that with that many miles it would be as great a vehicle as it is. The only thing that's ever gone wrong is that the ignition coils needed to be replaced. Still gets 20-25mpg, passes California smog with flying colors, looks pretty good for a 14 year old Lexus. It did have the advantage of being a one owner vehicle serviced exclusively by a Lexus dealer (it even has a Lexus brand battery). I change fluids religiously and expect it to go another 100k.

Heated front seats, automatic headlights, funky six-disc changer, leather, lots of toys that you'd never use (auto-dimming mirrors come to mind).

Sound system controls.

Lexus saved our lives!!
By lexusluver

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Owned a 1999 Lexus Rx 300 for five years. Three weeks ago my husband and I was hit from behind by a full sized pick up while sitting at a stop light,then pushed into another SUV in front of us. The police report said that the driver of the pick up never even noticed us and never slowed down and hit us doing 45mph. Although we received back/neck injuries, we feel that because we were driving our Lexus, it saved our lives. A police officer and a fireman both called our Lexus a "little tank" and told me that we were lucky to be driving it. we were told it could have more serious. We are definitely purchasing another Lexus as soon as we settle with insurance co. Miss our Lexy!

safety first and foremost as I stated in my review. Love the stereo. Love how it is a SUV but drives like a car. Like sitting higher and the visibility. have taken it on very long road trips several times and it is very comfortable to drive and sit in for long periods of time. Love just about everything about it. Not bad mpg for a SUV. Again. feel it is one of the safest vehicles on the road. husband is 6'4 and has plenty of head/leg room. Also, son is 6'4 and has plenty of leg room in the back seat. Love this SUV!!

turning radius is too wide and don't like where the CD department is which is located in the glove box.

Have owned mine since it was new
By fyrcat

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I had owned my 1999 rx 300 since it was new. I currently have 78000 miles on it. No problems until I hit 65000 miles and my transmission went out. My dealer here in the SF bay area wanted 6500.00, so I shopped around and found an independent tranny shop who did it for 3500.00. Other than that, I love this car! I have never held on to a car for more than 6 years, but I still adore my Lexus. I just repaired the leather on the drivers side that ripped from 13 years of in and out. Otherwise both the interior and the exterior look great. I am hoping to keep her for 2 more years, and when ready to replace her, I would buy another Lexus in a heartbeat.

Luxurious interior, the paint washes and waxes beautifully.

Very Disappointed
By kristal1

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Bought the Lexus Rx 300 because of Lexus' reputation of being a reliable vehicle, sadly disappointed with our experience. We bought this car 5 years ago with 48K miles on it and hoped to drive it over 200K miles. Unforunately at 100K miles the car had a steering column failure, the worst the dealer had ever seen. Car was unsafe to drive. Cost of repairs $1,700. Less than 12 months later at 112K miles the engine went. Expected cost to replace $5,000 for a used engine, significantly more for a new one. Never expected this from Lexus! at 112K miles... are you kidding me. Should have read reviews before buying it.

Too bitter to think of any...

Heated leather seats aren't worth much in a car without a working engine! EPIC FAIL!