Used 2003 Lexus LX 470 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Lx-470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (41 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Solid, dependable, still garnishes status
By tpa33

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I'm a technician and I know build quality. You will not find this level of precision or quality with any other vehicle with full time 4 wheel drive and true transfer case. Bought used only because its virtually still new and we should all expect 350,000 miles of hard or pampered use from the LX470/Land cruisers.

Favorite Features

Safety, side curtain airbags, ride height control, Low/High transfer case, locking center differential, seats 8, road presence, visibility, comfort, and all around legendary vehicle platform and build quality. And if anything ever does fail, parts are 1/3 the cost of European counterparts.

Suggested Improvements

These should cost a lot more than they do. Try driving in a comparably priced Wrangler or fixing a X5 or Land Rover or hitting the trail in a Audi Q7 those need improvements.

My 2003 Lexus LX 470
By j smith

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am on the road a lot and carry 400-500 lbs. in the back. I have just turned 200,000 miles and my only expense beside maintenance was a wheel bearing. I could never say this about any other car I have driven.

Favorite Features

Good ride, stability, better mileage than other large SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

One piece tailgate that opens from the bottom. It would provide better protection from rain when loading or unloading.

LX-470 is a sweet ride
By Mark3101

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very smooth and the 5 speed transmission is better than the old 4 speed I had in my 2000. The interior upgrades are nice as is the adaptive steering. The 2003 is also quieter than the previous models. Gas mileage is not bad, but should be better. Otherwise a great vehicle for driving in all conditions.

Favorite Features

Favorite of mine is the dead on steering. No wandering or sloppiness.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, somewhat better power also would be nice.

Best SUV on the road
By mike

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Ride is superior, never had a mechanical problem. Quiet... this is my second 470lx and I probably will buy a third.

Favorite Features

No road noise, and soft ride

Suggested Improvements

Move away from the boxy exterior to something more contemporary

Excellent
By Tom

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Outstanding vehicle. If you can afford it and want an SUV, look no further. My LX 470 has 80,000 miles on it and it rides as nice as it did when I bought it. Reliability, comfort and quality are super, not one rattle or vibration after the 6 years I have owned the vehicle. Probably built too well as there is no reason to get rid of it even after 6 years. I plan on keeping it for a long time and putting many more miles on it. Performs flawlessly in the snow as I can go anywhere. Had to get to navigate on a steep, closed road one snowy day. No problem at all in this vehicle. Just a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

The ride, navigation system and stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats in back. Would like to be able to control the rear heat and a/c from driver controls. Right now you can turn it on, but depend on rear seat passengers to control.