2000 Lexus LX 470 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Lexus Lx-470 - Consumer Reviews

2000 LX 470 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Passionate pursuit of imperfection
By amanthin

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

Had this SUV for a long time now, and the quality of the vehicle is terrible. Too many issues and too many costly repairs. I have under 100k miles on this. Issues: 1 CD.. Disks get stuck in the player 2 Ignition went out, and it cost me $1200 (non-dealership) to fix it. I was told that Lexus placed the starter in such a position that it takes a min of 4 hrs to replace. A similar replacement on American cars take less than 1hr. 3. The Antenna doesn't go down. Didn't fix this. 4. Shock are leaking oil and needed replacement. $2500 5. Recently the ignition switch actually broken when turning the key. What a crappy engineering using cheap metals. $1200. The dealer says it is normal.

Favorite Features

Rides well as long as you don't have issues.

Suggested Improvements

Improve Quality and stop using cheap materials. For all others... Please stay away from Lexus. At least American cars are cheaper to fix.

Best so Far
By Scott

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

Have owned my 2000 LX470 (90,000 miles) for almost a month. It has been the best car I have ever owned by a long shot. The ride and handling are top notch. Not quite as fast as my Denali, but very smooth. It will climb over just about anything too, but you hate to take it off road because it's too good looking to take a chance on scratching it. My only complaints so far is the tiny plastic cover that covers the little window that displays the time and temperature is coming off. Also my moon roof may have a short in it as it takes several tries to get it closed. It also has more buttons in it than any other vehicle I have ever owned. Be prepared to read the owners manual.

Favorite Features

Ride and handling

Suggested Improvements

Bigger side view mirrors and I never did like the third row set up. The seats are in the way and it looks bad.

Wow
By william45

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

After owning a Tahoe, Expedition and Denali I finally bought a 2000 Lexus LX470 with 90,000 miles. It was the only one I could find in my price range. I have only had it a month but it is easily the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. It has more buttons than a NASA spacecraft, but I think I finally have most of them figured out. It is not as quick as my Denali was, but as far as build quality, ride, comfort, and looks, it's hard to beat. I'm hoping that it can go another 90,000 if I take care of it.

Favorite Features

Looks, ride, and quietness.

Suggested Improvements

Never was crazy about the position of those back jump seats. Seems that only the Expedition got it right when making a folding third row.

suspension system
By lexus lx 470

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased new in April of 2000 .I drive this Lexus very little, has been garaged all its life. Now has 79,900 miles. At 66,780 suspension went out,,cost to repair $2600 + in 2005. Now after 13123 miles suspension went out again (Feb 2010).Service department says this is going to happen about every five (5) years no matter how few miles it has been driven (13123). Cost to repair now $3350+. It looks brand new inside and out but now rides like a gravel truck, this will be my last Lexus

Favorite Features

quality on everything except suspension

Suggested Improvements

new kind of suspension ,and fuel economy. the 2 things that will keep me from owning another Lexus

LOVE TO LOVE YA!!
By mpatjohnson

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

I got this vehicle used with 180,000 miles on it. I always liked this vehicle but could never afford a new one. I took it to the dealership and they just take the best care of you and they gave the car an extensive overview which the noted the things I should fix since then, I have been riding high. I love it so much. It has the ride of a luxury car and it does have more performance in the power mode. Mine had many upgrades including chrome rims, dvd players in the head rest and many other toys. It's paid for and I'm going to ride it until the wheels fall off. It still turns heads and people are always asking me how much I'd sell it for and I respond I would never do it!!

Favorite Features

Height sensors, full time 4X4, wood grain steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

None

Best Rig on the Road for the NW
By Doug in Portland

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

I've had my Lexus for 4 years. Its my favorite vehicle I have ever owned out nine. I feel safe, secluded, pampered, yet enjoy the capability in the snow and off road of the NW. I put 295/75/16 BFG All Terrains on it, and it looks sweet. I will probably never sell it, as it has everything I need and like. A heated seats, a center locking diff, suspension adjustment, sunroof, killer stereo, etc. The size is perfect too, such that you can park it with ease unlike a Suburban, Escalade, or Sequoia. And it fits in the garage with room to walk around it. The new one looks great, but until they make it with 25 -30 mpg there is no reason to upgrade. Buy a 99-02 model and you'll be happy.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, elevated driving position, AWD with center locking diff, lots of suspension travel, comfy seats, 2nd row leg room, vehicle proportions (tall but not too long), therefore the headroom is awesome being 6'5"

Suggested Improvements

Brake wear is tough on any heavy vehicle, especially living in the hills. Maybe a better compound pad? and rotors that don't glaze up somehow?

SUV that feels like a luxury car
By rb

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

The interior of this vehicle is beautiful. When you get in it, you are bathed in luxury. The engine is very quiet and the ride is nice. You are amazed how fast you are going when you look down at the gauges while on the highway. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for the ultimate luxury SUV. Lexus is second to none.

Favorite Features

Selectable suspension. Interior design. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

CD player has a history of jamming. Mine is jammed and cost to repair is $1,200.

It's Good To Be The King
By mrfogle

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

After looking over many of the luxury SUVs available. The LX is hands down the best "real" SUV you can buy. This 2000 vehicle has almost all the features my new 2006 sedan has (heated seats, auto dimming rear views) and some it doesn't (electronic stability control to prevent rollovers, ride height adjustment and real time dynamic suspension, and two independent climate controls for front and rear passengers). And even though a bit sluggish from a stop, it has lots of pulling power (80% of which is available at just 1100 rpm!), the sign of a "true" SUV with an engine designed for it, not just out of a truck. You will get use to the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Suspension system, 6 disc in-dash CD changer, heated seats, auto dimming mirrors, soft leather interior (doesn't feel like the cheap leather product of economy/mid class vehicles), real wood accents trim, decent sized tires (not those small car/truck tires the rest of the SUVs have).

Suggested Improvements

It is hard to come up with some improvements to a 6 year old vehicle that outclasses almost every new vehicle today. This is evident by the fact that the LX models from 2000 to now haven't changed that much. Same basic engine, body, and suspension with only small improvements/additions.

Great all-around vehicle for Colorado!
By Kevin

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

Driving across the country at least once a year with our two yellow labs, we have found the LX 470 to be a very comfortable, safe, and all-around great vehicle! Driving up Hwy 1 in CA was a blast, and I never have a problem getting around in some of the incredible snows we have here in Colorado - I've pulled out numerous vehicles out of being stuck in ditches, etc., and even pulled an Nissan Xterra up a hill by my house from a standstill 1/3rd of the way up where a lot of people just park their cars at the bottom and hike their way up - ALL included in this display were VERY impressed - I've even noticed a few of my neighbors (3 now) have gotten one since!

Favorite Features

Torque, handling (ability to alter ride suspension for diff. conditions), VERY quiet (Even at hwy. speeds), and lifting / lowering of height is by far my mother-in-law's ;^)

Suggested Improvements

Window controls for ALL windows on the passenger (and driver's) side - I don't like having to raise / lower other windows while I should be attentive to my driving - especially while the passenger would be able to do it. (Again, traveling frequently with two labradors), this would help A LOT!!!

Amazing SUV
By Rob

2000 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car new in 2000 and she now has 120,000 miles on her. I often comment to my friends how well the car still drives. I really mean it. After all those miles, the ride is still extraordinarily smooth. The car has held up quite well and all I have had to replace is the front brake rotors. If you are looking for comfort in a big SUV, this is the one to buy! You can get them for good prices used and since they hold up so well, don't be afraid of buying them used with maybe 50+k miles. Also, the thing is an absolute TANK when it comes to snow. I have literally taken mine through 2 feet of snow without hesitation. It's the best car in the snow that I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Adjustable height control suspension, wood on the wheel/shifter, power outlet in center console that is different from cigarette lighter (for cell phone charger), auto-dimming mirrors, armrests up front adjust effortlessly, adjustable suspension stiffness (sport/comfort)

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps a little more power, but overall, Lexus did a great job.