Used 1999 Lexus LX 470 Base Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus LX 470 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus LX 470

Base 4.7L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )

On my way to 300,000 miles
By Eric

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

Had my 99 LX 470 from 20,000miles and I just hit 275,000. Ignition coils and rusty exhaust pipe because I live in Minnesota have been the only non scheduled maintenance things I have ever done to her. Always reliable, never get stuck in the snow. She is my fancy tank. Love it, would recommend to anyone not concerned with burning premium fuel like its going out of style.

Not worth the money
By cmorr

Purchased as 2nd owner with 50,000 miles, have
had it since 2003 now has 110,000 miles on it
the moulding on doors was replaced twice because of wind noise still noisy.
Radio bad-cd quite working about 1 year ago went to cassette and now it dosen't work and the antenna failed all with less than 110,000 easy miles on it.
Our upkeep is around 3500 every 9-12 months the leather interior is cracking and is going to cost about 800 to replace.
Worst car (for the money spent) that I have ever had.
We have a 1992 honda accord with 300,000 miles that I drive.

The exterior is nice looking but the paint on the ski racks has flaked off . Paint is still shiny.

Put a radio in the car that works, its not just my lexus check out sites most have had crappy radio and lexus will do nothing to help.

225,00miles & still our most reliable
By sara

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

We bought this car over 11 years ago and it is still our most reliable vehicle. no one can believe it is as old as it is! no rattles-has never broken down! ever! drives like our 2007 Lexus sedan. we will NEVER get rid of this vehicle!

Reliability! Love that Lexus changes body style so seldom.

Classy
By rahang

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this vehicle used from repeat owner of LX 470s who also loves the LX 470. We have driven it in the Rocky Mountains and Northern Michigan in various extreme weather and road conditions and it hardly skipped a heartbeat. Then the problems. Front wheel portion of AWD failed completely without warning and complete and thorough maintenance & records upkeep. No reason, just failed with less than 120K miles on vehicle. Lexus Company left me dry and lacking enthusiasm for its continued reliability stating I should have bought extended warranty. Chagrined that a seemingly top notch vehicle of this caliber has such a major problem with so few miles, but goes to show failure happens

Overall very compfortable for long drives or short runs. Easy for rear access for dogs and cargo. Handles extremely well in deep snow & inclement weather. A joy to drive.

Better customer follow up. When in for repairs (undriveable at a Toyota dealer) had to wait for 10 days for repair which of course drove up costs for rental and lodging due to wrong parts, or other ordering repair confusion. Not the best recommendation for a vehicle of this class and caliber.

Almost Flawless
By Steve

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

We've owned it since new. On long trips, it feels like you're sitting in a comfy chair in your living room. On the negative side, too many unnecessary options for headlights, give us "on" or "off". The height adjustment was also a useless addition, we never used it. Also, the button to engage the 4-wheel drive was placed where it could be inadvertently hit which happened several times for us and caused problems. Would like to see Lexus add some practical options, like an automatic step that would engage and allow older or physically challenged passengers easier access. Overall, though, it's been a delightful vehicle.

Leather seats, radio, quiet ride, tightness even at 125,000 miles, roominess, acceleration.

Simplify headlight controls, engineer easier access to physically challenged passengers.