1999 Lexus LX 470 4.7L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus Lx-470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

1999 LX 470 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Rating
Not worth the money
By cmorr

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased as 2nd owner with 50,000 miles, have had it since 2003 now has 110,000 miles on it the moulding on doors was replaced twice because of wind noise still noisy. Radio bad-cd quite working about 1 year ago went to cassette and now it dosen't work and the antenna failed all with less than 110,000 easy miles on it. Our upkeep is around 3500 every 9-12 months the leather interior is cracking and is going to cost about 800 to replace. Worst car (for the money spent) that I have ever had. We have a 1992 honda accord with 300,000 miles that I drive.

Favorite Features

The exterior is nice looking but the paint on the ski racks has flaked off . Paint is still shiny.

Suggested Improvements

Put a radio in the car that works, its not just my lexus check out sites most have had crappy radio and lexus will do nothing to help.

225,00miles & still our most reliable
By sara

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

We bought this car over 11 years ago and it is still our most reliable vehicle. no one can believe it is as old as it is! no rattles-has never broken down! ever! drives like our 2007 Lexus sedan. we will NEVER get rid of this vehicle!

Favorite Features

Reliability! Love that Lexus changes body style so seldom.

Classy
By rahang

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this vehicle used from repeat owner of LX 470s who also loves the LX 470. We have driven it in the Rocky Mountains and Northern Michigan in various extreme weather and road conditions and it hardly skipped a heartbeat. Then the problems. Front wheel portion of AWD failed completely without warning and complete and thorough maintenance & records upkeep. No reason, just failed with less than 120K miles on vehicle. Lexus Company left me dry and lacking enthusiasm for its continued reliability stating I should have bought extended warranty. Chagrined that a seemingly top notch vehicle of this caliber has such a major problem with so few miles, but goes to show failure happens

Favorite Features

Overall very compfortable for long drives or short runs. Easy for rear access for dogs and cargo. Handles extremely well in deep snow & inclement weather. A joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better customer follow up. When in for repairs (undriveable at a Toyota dealer) had to wait for 10 days for repair which of course drove up costs for rental and lodging due to wrong parts, or other ordering repair confusion. Not the best recommendation for a vehicle of this class and caliber.

Almost Flawless
By Steve

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

We've owned it since new. On long trips, it feels like you're sitting in a comfy chair in your living room. On the negative side, too many unnecessary options for headlights, give us "on" or "off". The height adjustment was also a useless addition, we never used it. Also, the button to engage the 4-wheel drive was placed where it could be inadvertently hit which happened several times for us and caused problems. Would like to see Lexus add some practical options, like an automatic step that would engage and allow older or physically challenged passengers easier access. Overall, though, it's been a delightful vehicle.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, radio, quiet ride, tightness even at 125,000 miles, roominess, acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Simplify headlight controls, engineer easier access to physically challenged passengers.

Lexus LX 470
By Paul

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

We love our LX 470, I especially liked the way it did in the mountains. It is easily the smoothest riding vehicle in its class that I have ever driven. People are always asking if it is a new vehicle. I tell them it has high miles and a 1999 and they find it hard to believe.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, interior, color and ride.

Suggested Improvements

My wife would like to be able to see out the back better when backing out of parking space.

I enjoy driving this car every day
By ohsupharmd

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

I love the comfort and realibity of this car. I wanted an SUV with a look, performance, comfort, realibility and I found the LX. I just make sure I change the oil every 3 months, and do the maintenance at recommended mileage. I wish Lexus offered 22 inch rims for the car; it is very hard to find a rim that will fit the car. It has an unusual ball pattern. Great car, what else can anyone ask for?

Favorite Features

Comfort, looks, reliabilty, sound system, alarm system, front and back heater/ac system.

Suggested Improvements

Have the radio controls on the steering, provide options of 20 to 22 inch rims, more power, better fuel economy

A near perfect vehicle
By John

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

In my 50 years of owning and driving vehicles, this one is my favorite. It's also been the most reliable and trouble free and the dealership has been a pleasure with the routine upkeep of the vehicle. This is truly a "turn-key" situation, just turn it on and go, in comfort and style. This is also the first vehicle I've ever owned for 200,000 miles. And they've been virtually trouble free.

Favorite Features

The hydraulic leveling and adjustable suspension system are one of our favorites. The lowering feature for easy access is a big hit we use at almost every stop. We also enjoy that it's built like a tank underneath. It can really take a beating and keep right on ticking.

Suggested Improvements

More than anything else, I'd love to have decent fuel mileage. There are vehicles that are faster, bigger and more powerful that still get significantly better mileage. I would suggest that a disabling option of the full time four wheel drive feature might help with mileage.

Simply Perfect
By lawboy74

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

I picked up this vehicle with a lot of miles but it still rides better than most brand new cars. The quality build by Toyota/Lexus is simply amazing. I have had many cars but this one is superior in so many categories most specifically in the quality product. Everyone loves this vehicle when they get in it and no one can believe it has 132K miles for the way it looks or feels. The leather doesn't show any cracks and there are no annoying rattles. You will not regret buying this vehicle (just be ready to pay at the pump). You will LOVE this car.

Favorite Features

The build quality unlike any other. Better than BMW, MB, any car maker. I love the big feel of the car with the smooth ride. It is very fast yet you don't realize it with how smooth the vehicle is. Ohh and the 3rd row jump seats are great! From folding away to ease of pulling out.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they had put radio controls on the steering wheel. My 98 Navigator had it this should too. HID lights should have been standard on this vehicle as well as the roll down windows from the key fob. I will not even say the mpg but would have liked the car to take regular to premium.

LX470
By Ron

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

One of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. The fact that the body style hasn't changed in a while it makes it almost impossible to tell the model year.

Favorite Features

Ride adjustement, heated seats, 7 comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

LX 470
By BFB

1999 Lexus LX 470 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned 12 SUVs and this vehicle is hands down the best. It handles like a much smaller 4x4 but with unmatched amenities. I have become a repeat buyer of the Lexus 4x4. The quality of the vehicle coupled with the management style of Lexus and its dealership simply blows away all of it competition. Although I like the lines of the LR slightly better the ride and reliablity of the LX 470 will keep me coming back time and again. BFB

Favorite Features

The quality of the ride and handling is unmatched.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have the ability to turn off the feature that automatically readjusts the sideview mirrors when the vehicle is in reverse. This is a great feature for parallel parking it can be dangerious when simply backing up. I would also change the diagrams on antenna switch and the side defroster.