Used 1997 Lexus LX 450 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Lexus LX 450 SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.5L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (12 reviews )

Old enough to vote and still running strong!
By Ben

1997 Lexus LX 450 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my LX450 two years ago with 218,000 miles on the clock with no worries and now showing 237K. I was shopping for a Toyota Land Cruiser when I found this LX, and if you have done any research, you know that they are the same vehicle, with different badges and a few extra toys. The locking diffs are great off-road, and the factory stereo and CD changer still sound great. Everything inside works as it should with the exception of the power seats, which seems to be an issue with most of these cars. The motors are $500 apiece, and luckily mine broke in the right spot for me to be comfortable in. The A/C is great and the heat is fantastic. Oh, the light on the dash that illuminates the "D" has burned out, really, I cannot complain about that. Mechanically, this truck is amazing. The engine, gearbox and 4WD system are still running flawless. The only thing I have had to replace is the radiator, and will soon need a new power steering pump, but other than routine maintenance, it has been trouble free. I would not hesitate to get in it and drive cross country tomorrow. On the outside, the paint is fade-free and the clear-coat still intact. The upright windshield gives great visibility but is prone to catching rocks. The rear bumper finish is starting to crack and come off, but it's not really a great concern of mine since it does not affect the way the truck drives. I have a mild lift and am running "35's so the gas mileage is not so great (getting 14 mpg. in mixed use) and the ride can be a little harsh, but if you want a cloud like ride, buy a Lincoln Town Car (which is what I did). I am a wildlife photographer and needed a truck that I could trust to get me into nature and back home when I was done. From rocky tracks to muddy trails to snow and ice covered roads, my Lexus has never faltered or given me a reason to be concerned. I love this truck, after spending a day in the wild with me, a good friend bought a '97 Land Cruiser and he is so happy that he prefers it over his 2015 Tacoma TRD.

Lexus / Toyota #1
By goodgrief00

1997 Lexus LX 450 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased a 5 year old LX 450 in January of 2002 with 65k. Now have 124k on the SUV with absolutely zero problems. The SUV is in great shape and people mistake it for a 1 to 2 year old vehicle vs the 10+ years. Have the local Toyota specialists perform the regular maintenance and the vehicle functions like a fine Swiss watch. I love it! Runs like a champ on the highway and itís a mountain goat when I go off road.

The exterior appearance and the interior comfort.

Nothing, after all, it's an 11 year old vehicle.

LX Rocks
By PC

1997 Lexus LX 450 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This is and OUTSTANDING vehicle. 118k miles and I still haven't spent a dime on a repair - only scheduled maintenance. Further proof that Lexus/Toyota make the best vehicles on the road. Stable ride and more than capable to perform any task you ask of it.

Leather and wood make for a luxurious feel. Spacious and comfortable seating. Tons of cargo space

More cupholders that are more accessible. More front leg room. Rear AC/Heat controls. Power rear window like Sequoia/4Runner.

Solid Truck
By JF

1997 Lexus LX 450 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a solid truck that is as dependable as it gets. However, if you are 6' or taller it isn't comfortable to drive since your knees will press against the lower dash. I continue to have a concern about excessive rocking when driving on the freeway on uneven surfaces. The dealership even replaced the tires and shocks free because of this safety issue. Overall, this has been one of the best trucks I have ever owned.

Styling, ground clearance, durability

I recently drove a 2006 LX470. In my opinion, the styling is extremely dated and the truck is underpowered compared to top-of-the-line competition. In my area, folks are opting to buy the Escalade Platinum Edition or Range Rover. The new LX470 wouldn't stand a chance against these SUV's.

Highly Capable 4X4
By Andy Williams

1997 Lexus LX 450 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a distinctive vehicle with exceptional capabilities. It's built very solidly - it doesn't squeak or rattle, and the engine, while not as powerful as more recently built SUVs is smooth and provides plenty of power. I previously owned a Montero, and decided that the only upgrade available (in terms of functionality and off road prowess) was the Land Cruiser or LX 450. I have not been disappointed. It's quiet on the highway, roomy and comfortable, has great clearance, plush interior, and will go anywhere with ease. I wasn't prepared to give up the 3rd row seat, and the LX 450 offers more room than the Mitsu.

Sun roof, sound system, leather seats, interior roominess, handling and awesome off road capabilities.

Needs cup holders and has only 1(!) cigarette lighter/power outlet.

• SUV