2008 Lexus LS 460 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

08 LS460 - somewhat dissapointing
By jeffstephan

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

have 65,000 miles on one. Levinson amplifier went out at 60K. Found a repair shop in NJ to fix it for $700. It is 3000 if you go to dealer. Navigation is slow to put in addresses. Cannot change address while driving. Hard to jump start car as battery is very close to firewall with plastic molding above it that needs to be removed. Driver's side window switch went bad at 45,000 miles. Found a used one on ebay for $125 and fixed myself. Paint scratches very easy like others have mentioned. Sound of speakers is excellent. Decent mpg for V8. very comfortable on long drives and safe. Suspension sags into corners when driving spirited.

Favorite Features

Sound, quiet at hwy speeds, leather seats high quality, head liner high quality, auto closing doors and trunk, wooden steering wheel, heated steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Prior BMW just seemed more reliable sadly. I love Toyotas and lexus and feel I had more problems with this than german cars. Had other things wrong too but forgot to mention them all. Seems like seats take longer to heat up as car ages in winter time. Put battery in better place in the event you need a jump start. Navigation system computer did not have a fast enough processor.

Broke
By Fred

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

Car has been in the repair shop three times in less than 2 years. Brake problems. What a pain for a $75,000 Car.

Favorite Features

Classic

Suggested Improvements

Build the Lexus like you did in the Day.

A Disappointing Update
By Rick S - updated

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

Now that I have had this car for 2 1/2 years, I thought I would add an updated review. This is our 4th Lexus and I am disappointed in the overall quality of the car. Aside from the recall, I have had a number of mostly minor quality- related issues since my last review, including an issue with paint chips on the front of the car and a blown out speaker in my expensive Levinson stereo. If I had to do it over again knowing what I know now, I would not purchase this car. I expected uncompromising quality in a car I could drive for 10 years like my last 2 (less expense) Lexus vehicles. Now I worry about expensive repairs down the road. I am thinking seriously about getting rid of the car.

Favorite Features

Comfortable car with incredible fuel economy for a V-8 (on highway; terrible fuel economy around town). Bluetooth works great. It is difficult to point out too many highlights when you bought a car for it's quality reputation and then find yourself disappointed in the car's quality.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality is clearly not the same as previous Lexus vehicles; Navigation needs to do a better job of phone number and address look up - it is quicker to print out something from MapQuest before leaving; voice commands mostly useless - quicker to push buttons

2008 LS 460
By ken

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

We went with the Black, with Tan Interior. Great car, I get total strangers coming up to me and telling me what a great looking car I have. That never gets old. Rides great, very comfortable, easy to use nav, love the back up camera and sensors, door auto close and trunk auto open and close, heated and cooled front seats and heated rear. Fair gas mileage, about 17 in town and 19 on Highway. This is well worth the money, will never own anything else.

Favorite Features

Parking sensors, Nav, auto close doors and trunk. Lexus service department.

Suggested Improvements

I got the upgraded wheels, they are very soft and will bend at the slightest bump of a curb. First week I owned the car I went through a drive through and bent a wheel.

Truly amazing car!
By LSfan

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

My wife and I originally went into the Lexus dealer looking for a new GS. The salesman took us for a ride but said upfront that the car may be a little small for me. I am 6'5 and broad shouldered. He was right and the car was a bit cramped. While we were waiting for him to return with the keys my wife saw the LS460 and said she loved how that one looked. I of course responded that it was also the most expensive! When our salesman returned we said we would also like to drive the LS. Of course there was no comparison and we bought the LS. It is just the perfect car. So fast and incredibly comfortable. The interior is the nicest we have ever seen baring none. Highly recommend it!

Favorite Features

The high horsepower engine is amazing, blue tooth and hard drive are great. Mark Levinson sound system is truly unbelievable. 19 speakers! Remote controlled window and sunroof opening is great too.

Suggested Improvements

True Iphone/Ipod connection not just an mp3 jack. Some better wheel options and something with chrome. Mp3 downloading ability instead of just wave files. That is really it. Love everything else.

2008 Lexus LS460
By Irfanski

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

Great car, smooth and comfortable ride. Great mileage - have driven ~5200 miles and have gotten ~22mpg in city and ~30.5 mpg on a 475 mile trip from NC to KY via the Virginia/WV mountains. Worth every penny (since I got it for a discount buying a new 2008 as the 2009 models were coming in).

Favorite Features

Love driving it on the highway. Very smooooooth. Love the interior comfort & am content with the outside styling.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing major. Nav lockup bugs me. Of course I don't intend to fool with it when I'm driving but the front passenger should be able to control it...

Great car, but still has some issues
By tommyguy

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

After a year with this car, it has been very dependable. However, like with most other owners, the side wind noise drives me batty. And calls to Lexus say that it is a design problem, that nothing can be done about it, and the problem won't be addressed until about the 2011 model year. Bummer. Also, the complete lockout of nearly every navigation feature while in motion renders the system nearly useless. Don't waste the money on this. Buy a Garman instead.

Favorite Features

Excellent sound system when the wind noise doesn't overpower it.

Suggested Improvements

Fewer doodads that I rarely use and concentration on the basic comfort and quality issues. Front seat does not have a tilting seat... only up and down and back and forth. Just the back tilts. I like to be able to adjust in this way and expect it on a car this expensive.

Overall great, needs a few improvements
By Lexus Lover

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

First off this is my fourth Lexus. The car is great as far as comfort, handling, and performance. My major complaint is the difficulty of modifying the navigation system while the auto is in motion. I understand the safety ramifications, but when you have a passenger in the front seat this should be disarmed. I was pleasantly surprised with the gas mileage...I've actually hit 33 miles per gallon with this car, which to me is unheard of with this large of an engine (and considering how fast I drive). The navigation system is not logical. The Acura RL I recently traded in was very intuitive, this one, the driver actually has to arrange his thoughts before hitting the "talk" switch.

Favorite Features

Retracting mirrors when the car is locked.

Suggested Improvements

Allow the navigation system to operate while the car is in motion. And make it more intuitive: i.e. to program a previous destination, allow the driver to say something like: "Navigation", "Previous Destinations", (and choose the desired location), then say "Enter".

Ultimate Comfort
By APAXCGI

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

I just bought my 2008 LS and am extremely impressed. The two things that absolutely stand out are the following: interior styling and fit and finish, and the smoothness/quietness of the ride at any speed. Clearly Lexus is well known for both of these attributes but on a daily basis they continue to impress. I shopped the 7, S550, A8 and all of them are very fine cars but none of them though outdo the LS is the aforementioned categories. AND - the LS is 20k less than all three of those models. Bottom line : An extremely fine vehicle in every sense that tries not to scream "I am rich".

Favorite Features

Interior, smooth acceleration, Mark Levinson audio, navigation, styling.

Suggested Improvements

I added the "touring" wheels to my short wheelbase at extra cost. They should make this an option instead of an accessory.

3 month review
By TONY

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

Purchased in Sept. My first Lexus and am still excited to drive it everyday. Very quiet and comfortable and it has plenty of gadgets. The sound system is unbelievably good. I am currently getting around 27 mpg, mostly highway. I haven't had any problems or have had it serviced yet and so a good service visit will put it over the top.

Favorite Features

Mark Levinson sound is number one followed by all the other gadgets.

Suggested Improvements

When you switch modes (ex: map to audio) it always reverts to prior mode, I would like it to remain in the mode that you are working in.