Used 2008 Lexus LS 460 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
A Disappointing Update
By Rick S - updated

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

Now that I have had this car for 2 1/2 years, I thought I would add an updated review. This is our 4th Lexus and I am disappointed in the overall quality of the car. Aside from the recall, I have had a number of mostly minor quality- related issues since my last review, including an issue with paint chips on the front of the car and a blown out speaker in my expensive Levinson stereo. If I had to do it over again knowing what I know now, I would not purchase this car. I expected uncompromising quality in a car I could drive for 10 years like my last 2 (less expense) Lexus vehicles. Now I worry about expensive repairs down the road. I am thinking seriously about getting rid of the car.

Favorite Features

Comfortable car with incredible fuel economy for a V-8 (on highway; terrible fuel economy around town). Bluetooth works great. It is difficult to point out too many highlights when you bought a car for it's quality reputation and then find yourself disappointed in the car's quality.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality is clearly not the same as previous Lexus vehicles; Navigation needs to do a better job of phone number and address look up - it is quicker to print out something from MapQuest before leaving; voice commands mostly useless - quicker to push buttons

08 LS460 - somewhat dissapointing
By jeffstephan

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

have 65,000 miles on one. Levinson amplifier went out at 60K. Found a repair shop in NJ to fix it for $700. It is 3000 if you go to dealer. Navigation is slow to put in addresses. Cannot change address while driving. Hard to jump start car as battery is very close to firewall with plastic molding above it that needs to be removed. Driver's side window switch went bad at 45,000 miles. Found a used one on ebay for $125 and fixed myself. Paint scratches very easy like others have mentioned. Sound of speakers is excellent. Decent mpg for V8. very comfortable on long drives and safe. Suspension sags into corners when driving spirited.

Favorite Features

Sound, quiet at hwy speeds, leather seats high quality, head liner high quality, auto closing doors and trunk, wooden steering wheel, heated steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Prior BMW just seemed more reliable sadly. I love Toyotas and lexus and feel I had more problems with this than german cars. Had other things wrong too but forgot to mention them all. Seems like seats take longer to heat up as car ages in winter time. Put battery in better place in the event you need a jump start. Navigation system computer did not have a fast enough processor.

My Lexus LS 460L
By Michael O'Brien

2008 Lexus LS 460 L 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

This is my 6th Lexus and like all the others it is performing well and is totally reliable. Although a big car the fuel economy is very good. On my regular highway journeys I get 28-29 mpg. Average mixed around town and highway this only drops to about 24mpg. The park assist steering is too complicated to set up and responds too slowly for it to be useful, but it is a fun feature. This is truly a luxury car which is quiet and a pleasure to ride in. The extra rear legroom is always appreciated when I carry passengers.

Favorite Features

Everything is well thought out for driver comfort, but especially the rear view camera, parking hold, navigation system, vented seats and Lexus Link. The sunroof wind deflector protrudes just a little too far and causes wind roar. If it is lowered one eight inch, with your finger, it is much quieter.

Suggested Improvements

Adaptive cruise control would be nice - my wife's Avalon has this so why not the Lexus. The electric trunk opener is handy but why can not it be closed electrically from inside the car? The Lexus Link button is too close to the button for opening the roof. 4 times I've called Lexus Link in error.

Broke
By Fred

2008 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

Car has been in the repair shop three times in less than 2 years. Brake problems. What a pain for a $75,000 Car.

Favorite Features

Classic

Suggested Improvements

Build the Lexus like you did in the Day.

Another Home Run
By Mike Chadwick

2008 Lexus LS 460 L 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

This is my second LS, the first was a 1995 LS 400, I ran it for 15 years. This car is very much the same, just much more advanced, smooth and powerful. Lexus is getting pricey is the only bad thing, but once you're used to this car no other even comes close. I tried to find a more economical replacement but there are none on the market. The German cars that are in the same league are unreliable and even more overpriced than this one, and because I keep my cars forever they're not an option for me. If I leased it wouldn't matter, outside of how much time you care to waste in a car dealership.

Favorite Features

Ride, power, silence, luxury, Levinson stereo, simple controls, no mouse type control.

Suggested Improvements

Leave the navigation functioning while driving, having to stop to input data is a real downfall. Aftermarket fix has the potential to do real damage to the car. No override this year, big mistake. Another example of the lawyers ruining our world.