Used 2006 Lexus LS 430 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus Ls-430 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Lexus LS 430

Base 4.3L V8 6-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )

Still one of the world's best cars.
By excelsior1

2006 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

When the LS first appeared on the scene, it was so good that it scared Mercedes into over designing their cars resulting in reliability issues and the loss of the stately image that was their hallmark. Now the Lexus LS has become the standard bearer for those who want a solid, stately, reliable luxury car. The LS 430 executes this mission flawlessly, It rides beautifully, refreshing the driver with every trip. It handles any road surface well. The build quality and reliability are world class. Controls are simple and driver friendly. The Mercedes W126(1979-1991) had many similar traits for its time. I still own a Mercedes 1986 420 SEL and the Lexus LS 430 is its natural successor.

Favorite Features

-Reliability should be the hallmark of any luxury car. While luxury cars most have slipped in this regard the LS 430 has not. -Superior build quality. -Smooth, effortless ride. -Easy to follow controls allowing the driver to focus on the road and not the controls. -Lexus built the LS 430 with the view that you will keep it forever. -The sheer joy one gets out of the appreciation of a well built car doing its job effortlessly actually make this big car fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

When the Lexus LS 430 updated its transmission from 5 to 6 speed in the 2004-2006 years. It removed any suggested improvements. This is not a sports car. If you're looking for a solid stately, reliable car, the Lexus LS 430 is the best bargain on the road today.

Inadequate low beams
By lawman430

2006 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

The first time I drove my 2006 LS 430 at night, I thought I did not have my headlights properly turned on. I could not see well enough to drive over 30 mph. When I called the dealer the technition mentioned that I was the third person that week to make the same complaint so I left it for diagnosis. Result- "no problem, "everything checked out to specs." When I pushed the saftey issue, I basically got a shrug and was told that the headlight system takes a while to get used to. I got caught in a rainstorm on the interstate last night and had to slow down to 35 mph. I could not see anything but other cars were passing by with no problem. Anyone else?

Headlights
By Barbara

2006 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I find the headlights dangerous. They cast a shadow and it is difficult to see the road when the road is unlit. The dealership says they cannot be adjusted. I'm very disappointed that such an expensive car could have such a bad defect.

Favorite Features

The bluetooth is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Have a fix for the headlights.GPS is not useful. Must take my Garmin when I go to unfamiliar places.

Dealer won't take insurance for 10k mice!
By V12COUPE

2006 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

The car is pretty, quick, very flashy with the 18" chrome alloys and gold paint, mileage in city for me 11-12 mpg. Mice got into the interior ate the leather! $10,000 to replace! dealer said they won't deal with insurance companies! what? $64k on a top line car and this? they should have said that on purchase day and I never would have purchased it! I have a 91 bmw 850 cherry so this cars power and stability to me isn't great!

Favorite Features

Levinson sounds, auto/manual trans rear shades auto, parking sensors, moonroof, big trunk with cool net! dual climate and both seats too! best lights I ever saw! move in turns! cup holders!

Suggested Improvements

Dealer services, door guards?

Simply great
By Jim T

2006 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned quite a few cars, about 19, including a couple of Q45's and BMW 741iL and this one takes the title. The BMW was junk, the infiniti's nice but not at this level. Only drawbacks, are drivers seat is so-so and has a cassette deck ( which I knew when I bought, no mp3) and the nav system is outdated, even for an 06. Otherwise, wow, what a ride and problem free for the past 23,000 miles having bought this new. It really does live up to its reputation, fun to drive, good performance when you step on it, and smooth as silk. Even my teenage daughters want to drive it, so the kewl factor survives, once you get into it.

Favorite Features

Sound system is great, AC works like a dream and tons of room. A great touring car, quite, comfortable and surprisingly good mpg on hwy on cruise, can get 24 mpg, sometimes 25, around town avg about 18 day to day.

Suggested Improvements

The cassette has to go, for an 06 that is embarrassing, needs and MP3, and the nav system looks horrible, had an 06 300c that was twice that system, expected more from Lexus on that. The voice activation I still have not figured out and the salesman gave up on it, so don't hold your breath.