Used 2005 Lexus LS 430 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lexus Ls-430 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Lexus LS 430

Base 4.3L V8 6-speed Automatic - (98 reviews )

Great, but a few flaws
By LA-Dave

2005 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Overall, I am very happy with the car. It performs well, rides very well, and is a real joy to drive. Though I paid dearly for not buying OEM-specified tires, I have dealt with a few defects (AC vent sweep, passenger mirror failure, headlamp gasket replacement, and a manufacture- defected windshield). Also, (as a safety issue) I have a problem with the mirrors rotating in before exiting the vehicle, especially when parking on the street. Even with these drawbacks, I would definitely recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, the ride, the sweeping AC vents.

Suggested Improvements

Have the mirrors rotate in when the vehicle alarm is armed. The car should auto-arm if there is no key detected (with keyless entry systemts) after a pre-determined amount of time. All "Dealer" set options should be driver-selectable.

A worthwhile and enjoyable experience
By Professor

2005 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my LS 430 as a certified used Lexus and it had 17280 miles at the time of purchase. I am more than pleased with every aspect of the automobile. It is serene and powerful, yet it gets a respectable MPG considering its size and weight. It is exceptionally comfortable and a pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

Multifuncional adjustable seats, excellent cooling capacity on the hottest of days. Easy to learn and use functions.

Suggested Improvements

"Climate control" front seats do not really cool or heat the seats and air recirculating feature does not always function as it should as described in the ownners manual. Overall an excellent automobile based on quality, reliability and performance. Just a few minor annoyances.

2005 LS 430
By Keith Hartman

2005 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Wonderful in many ways, not so good in snow country and sometimes scary in the wind & rain. This car that seems so easy to drive does not handle well at the limits of high speed and adverse weather. (My previous car was an Audi A-8; but this car doesn't handle as well as my wife's Surbaru Outback.) Not so important but a niggling problem is the placement of various buttons on the steering wheel that are easily bumped and change the audio system (or turn it on!), set off the voice activation programs, etc. Also, four times I ran the battery down because a door was not completely shut, which I couldn't tell from the interior lights that stay on for a minute or so after the car is shut down.

Favorite Features

Best car seats ever, better than any chair in my house. Great transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the voice activation, avoid bump-able buttons on the left steering column. Find our how Germany gets their luxury cars to handle so well. This car gets mixed up at the parking lot with similar color Camrys and Avalons, too many bits are the same.

My fifth Lexus, fourth LS
By pjbigley

2005 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is my fifth Lexus. Have had a 2 1991 LS's, a 1998 LS, 2004 GS430 (mistake), and my present 2005 LS 430. The GS was too small for me (should have learned on the first 3 LS's, and I am soooo happy to be back in the seat of an LS. All it took was to sit in the drivers seat, have the seats wrap around you, the dash light up, and all of the phenomenal features at your fingertips. From the radar cruise, to the LED appointments everywhere at night, to the folding mirrors, and to have a backup camera in a sedan is a dream. I have not driven any other since 1996, and never will. As long as I can afford it, it will always be a Lexus LS.

Favorite Features

Smart Key, Laser cruise control, backup camera, folding mirrors, auto closing doors, and the tiptronic like shifting. Mark Levinson sound is the best and so versatile. Love the seat extension for the driver (I am 6'5").

Suggested Improvements

Cannot wait to see how the new 07 LS fares. If the tradition continues, I will be an owner in the next three years

Uncomfortable driver's seat.
By Joel

2005 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

You would think that Lexus would have spent more time testing the driver's seat comfort in their "flagship" sedan. I have owned this car for a month and will sell it as soon as possible. It feels like you are sitting in a hole the longer you sit in the driver's seat. In addition the armrest is uncomfortable due to lack of adequate padding and large seam. My other car is a 1999 ES 300. It has the most comfortable seats and driving position of any car I have ever owned. At any rate, my next car will be a Jaguar or Mercedes (with 100K warranty) more exciting design and road feel but less reliability. The trade off will be worth it this time around.

Favorite Features

Interior room. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Driver's seat and armrest are unacceptable. Lack of design. The 2007 LS 460 looks like the new Camry.